Author Topic: worried about leaving him  (Read 595 times)

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
worried about leaving him
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:10:15 PM »
Hi all,

Tomorrow Eric is going to have to be left home alone for about 4-5 hours while I go to a funeral.
The longest I have ever left him before is 2 hours while out shopping and I'm really worried about leaving him in his crate for that long because he will no doubt need the toilet and he gets really distressed if he messes in his crate. Do you think I should just shut him in the kitchen and deal with any carnage when I get home? I'm not sure what will make him happiest, help please?

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
Re: worried about leaving him
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:32:49 PM »
Hi Emma,

If it was me I'd leave the crate open!  He will no doubt need to go to the toilet at some point during those 4-5 hours and at least if he messes on the kitchen floor he'll still have his nice clean dry bed to sleep in!

Just leave lots of toys and a stuffed kong and anyother toys you can stuff treats in for him and I'm sure he will be ok!

Becky
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:35:50 PM »
Thanks Becky,

That's what I was thinking of doing. He has a bit of a thing for wallpaper but I can always paint over it if he decides to have a nibble.
I was just a bit worried about him disturbing the neighbours because he makes a right racket when he starts (usually at 5:30 in the morning).

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:42:13 PM »
Oh Emma - i'd offer to have him for you but with Honey just having had her spay I dont think she could handle a bounding puppy running round just yet!  :-\ Plus the fact that we've never actually met yet  ph34r :005:

I was in the same situation last year when I went to a funeral - but the wake was near to where I lived so after the church I went home and played with Honey for 1/2 an hour then went back out!

I'm sure Eric will be fine, leave the radio on and make sure there is plenty for him to do!  ;)

Hope the funeral goes OK  :-*

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:56:54 PM »
Thanks Lucy, that's a very kind thought. I really wouldn't wish Eric on your girl while she is poorly  :005:
We'll definitely have to meet for a walk, maybe over the Ester weekend if your OH is off work and you think Honey will be up to it.

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 10:10:44 PM »

I had a day when Biba was a puppy where i had to leave her for 6 hours...tried to get someone to dog sit but it was short notice so was unable to  ::)...i stressed about her the whole time i was away..but she was fine  ;)
i think the odd occasion doesnt harm them  ;)

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 10:19:40 PM »
i would say he'll probably be fine  ;)

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.