Author Topic: How much exercise?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
How much exercise?
« on: March 11, 2004, 08:32:19 AM »
I've read here before that until 6 months, 15 minutes is ok for puppies. Every morning we got to the park, and he's loving it, but hates it when we leave. He also has the run of the garden during the day - if I'm not walking him a lot, is it ok to up the time in the park?

We don't do much walking in the park, maybe a mile - he loves meeting all the other dogs. He's very active at home, chasing and returning his ball, what do you think?

He's 20 weeks now.                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Gaeliccockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.bowenforall.com
How much exercise?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 07:58:42 PM »
you should be walking your puppy for max 20mins a day.  It is difficult.  I have 2 5 1/2 month olds and today they went out for 1 hour.  But they wont really do much in the week so I dont feel too bad.  Their bones wont yet be fully formed and if you can keep exercise down to a minimum it will benfit them in later life  :D                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
How much exercise?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 08:22:43 PM »
Hi Shona

I think what your doing is fine - you just need to be sensible and recognise that if he comes in and zonks out and is fit for nothing for the rest of the day, then you're overdoing it.  There's plenty of time for long walks later on :D .  it comes round so quickly and then on the rainy, wind nights you'd wish he just needed 10 minutes in the garden  :lol: .

Shirley

Wow :shock: , Gaeliccockers, you are brave.  I found it hard enough training one puppy at a time - don't think I'd have managed two.  Are they boys or girls?  by the way, is there a story behind your username - hope you don't mind me asking  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
How much exercise?
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 07:05:40 PM »
Thanks Shirley. He's pretty easily zonked out, lol - we did our 20 minutes in the park this morning then he came home and slept for 3 hours.

I just feel rotten as 20 minutes goes by so fast - but I'll keep on limiting it. I'm dying for a good hour long walk with him, can't wait!

Shona                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
How much exercise?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 07:06:54 PM »
you should be walking your puppy for max 20mins a day.  It is difficult.  I have 2 5 1/2 month olds and today they went out for 1 hour.  But they wont really do much in the week so I dont feel too bad.  Their bones wont yet be fully formed and if you can keep exercise down to a minimum it will benfit them in later life  :D

Wow, two puppies, that must be busy! What are their names, and what coulours are they?

Shona                    

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
How much exercise?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 07:33:31 PM »
A guide I once read was 5 minutes per month of age, which means you could up Indie to 25mins now as he's 5 months old.  :D

From what I understand, it is the cumulative effect of over walking that can risk causing damage in later life, so maybe the occassional longer walk would be OK as long as you don't overdo it.                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
How much exercise?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 07:36:52 PM »
Oooh, thanks Colin, I do remember hearing that, now you mention it.                    

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
How much exercise?
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 07:55:30 PM »
I know what you mean about 20 mins not being long enough. I feel so guilty bringing him home after 20mins especially if he sees one of his play mates whilst we are on our way back to the house, he goes mad and just wants to play.
My Billy just seems to have more and more energy each day. He used to sleep a lot but now as he is getting older he doesnt seem to need/want as much sleep.  This morning we took him round the local lake, it was along walk about an hour  & 10 mins. He only ever usually has 20-30 mins, but today he was having the time of his life, up and down the lake banks, in and out of the water, chasing leaves,bits of rubbish etc etc his tail did not stop wagging for the entire walk. He had his mad five minutes where he runs round and round at full speed like a maniac whilst we were out walking. thankfully there was no one around or they would have thought i had a mad dog. :oops:  So i thought, well we never over do it, so one day wont hurt. I did feel a bit guilty because we were out much longer than usual, i thought am i damaging his health??? But when  we got home i gave him a bath, fed him and put the fire on (He loves to sleep in front of the fire) and he still wanted to play rather then have a sleep!!  :shock: , so i cant have tired him out too much. Got some great pictures too :wink: