Author Topic: Seeking advice for the amount of exercise for cocker pup  (Read 676 times)

Offline Supa cocker doppers

Seeking advice for the amount of exercise for cocker pup
« on: May 06, 2008, 01:55:57 PM »
Well what a wonderful weekend - sun out and Ellie can at last mingle in the big outside. :shades:

She has had a great time but I would be very grateful to hear how much exercise I should really be giving Ellie.

I have owned a cocker pup before but worked away from home a lot when she was young so she got plenty of rest in the day. Now I have more time and everytime I see Ellie she is asking for a walk. I even have to avoid going into the kitchen for a cuppa so she doesnt get the lead out..

I know that over exercising can damage young dogs growth / leg muscles.

At moment she is getting about 3 by half hour walks a day - but she would love more down the river & the wood.

If you want you can see her latest photo's on the cocker's and bluebells post.

Thanks everyone.

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
Re: Seeking advice for the amount of exercise for cocker pup
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 02:02:54 PM »
I think i have a lazy cocker, because he doesnt really get excited to go out.  Because of this i only do a quick 10 mins round trip. Otherwise hes jumping at my legs for me to pick him up!  ::) I read somewhere on here, that 5 mins for every month - i dont know how true this is??? Im sure someone who is more knowledgeable will be able to tell you properly!?  :D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Seeking advice for the amount of exercise for cocker pup
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 02:50:06 PM »

The general rule is 5 mins pavement walking per month of age, up to 3 times a day, until the age of 1.
If running around on grass etc, then you can allow a bit more, as this is not as hard on the joints as pavement walking.

If Ellie is still full of beans, I'd try doing some clicker training or similar to tire her out mentally too!  Maybe practice lead walking around the house, so the lead doesn't become the cue to walks!!  :005:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020