Author Topic: Hacking  (Read 1930 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Hacking
« on: May 11, 2008, 08:45:47 PM »
I'm fairly sure I've been hacked into and I know whose done it if thats the case - so if you are reading this, I'm on to you!!  What I want to know is if theres any way to say for sure that its been hacked? Can you take it to a computer shop and they can run tests or anything? Does it take long? Expensive? And can they trace who has done it?
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
Re: Hacking
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
Try this site to see if it will help you.  http://netsecurity.about.com/cs/disasterrecovery/a/aa061603.htm

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 10:01:14 PM »
 :o jeezy peeps, Gill.....cheeky swines! I am very naive to all this....who would do such a thing and why?
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 10:03:20 PM »
I'm fairly sure I've been hacked into and I know whose done it if thats the case - so if you are reading this, I'm on to you!!  What I want to know is if theres any way to say for sure that its been hacked? Can you take it to a computer shop and they can run tests or anything? Does it take long? Expensive? And can they trace who has done it?

Do you have a firewall installed?  Attacks are recorded in the software, so you should be able to tell if your security has been breached and your system "hacked".

It is usual for Firewalls to record literally dozens of assaults every day; they are usually carried out by automated/electronic systems rather than an individual.....but if files have been added or deleted it may be possible to track down the source, although a lot are untraceable.... :-\

There are a lot of trojans kicking around at the moment; these are malicious files hidden inside files that you download thinking they are legitimate; if you use Limewire and similar sites, there has been a really nasty one being spread in the last couple of weeks, and not all the anti-virus picks it up   :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 10:05:22 PM »
 :o am not sure what's worse, being hacked into or that fact that you know who it is  :o

swines!  >:D

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 10:05:52 PM »
:o am not sure what's worse, being hacked into or that fact that you know who it is  :o

swines!  >:D

I agree... why would people do that, especially someone you know?!  :-\
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 09:38:12 AM »
Yeah, its not the nicest feeling in the world! But I know why he's done it and I suppose I should just be grateful it wasn't to empty my bank account!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 12:57:04 PM »
I have been hacked in the past by a stalker type character who I didnt know personally but who new my OH!

In the end I asked my brother to place a booby trap in my pc so when he hacked me he was sent a virus of death!!! (well only to his PC lol) funnily enough the hacking stopped and so did the stalking lol

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 01:16:25 PM »
Gill, if you are thinking of getting it checked out by a shop, then you might have to pick the store you take your computer to with care; some companies have a policy of reporting all such incidents to the Police - some Hacking offences are part of the Terrorism Act and bigger chains tend to report everything just in case!  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 03:27:47 PM »
Thanks for that Rachel - I won't bother in that case.