Author Topic: Purdey - crying all night  (Read 4817 times)

Offline ROSIEA

Re: Purdey - crying all night
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 10:13:38 PM »
We had the same with Rosie.  However we didnt get up to her and it has got better.  So much so that we now leave her downstairs in the utility room around 10.30 and there isnt a peep until our alarm goes off!!! 

Im sure she doesnt sleep all that time but i think she now knows we will be back for her.  All this and shes only been with us 2 weeks and 1 day !!!  Good luck and everyone was right. It does get better.  xxxx

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 01:29:47 PM »
Thanks. Ive been following Rosie's progress eagerly!!

Last night was worse than the first two - Purdey literally didnt stop crying all night - except perhaps between 4 and 5am when I think I passed out from exhaustion.

Again, I got up at 5am to sleep with her on the sofa but this time she was so wound up by then that she took ages to settle.   ::)

However, her crate has arrived today, and she rushed straight in and has had a lovely sleep in there with the door open, so hopefully she might feel a little more secure in there tonight. If she is still really stressed by it, I'll try having the crate next to me while I sleep on the sofa so at least she feels close to me. It may work - who knows.

Anyway, my ex has just decided to take the kids out for the afternoon so may take myself back to bed, and just get used to being nocturnal!

Thanks for all the advice and help guys. It really makes a difference, to know you've all been through this and come out the other end!

OH and I are like zombies today, we are practically sleep walking! 

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 01:41:09 PM »
Try putting a piece of your clothing in the crate with her and maybe a hot watter bottle. We gave up and let our dogs sleep upstairs, I like my sleep too much...
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 01:42:29 PM »
Hope the crate does the trick.  It was a lifesaver for me and Coco slept in it quite happily with the door shut at night until she was a year old.  ;)

Hope you get a bit more sleep tonight  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline doc

• Ozzi @ 7 weeks
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
Hang on in there. Ozzi cried then discovered his bark which went on all night for the second night until like you I crashed with exhaustion. The third night my son slept on the kitchen floor beside his crate doing all the "making a den for him" bit but he yelped and barked all night again. I was so concerned I asked my neighbours if they had been disturbed - which as they had a new puppy in January they thought was really funny as they hadn't heard a thing.  We have persevered and now 2 1/2 weeks in (Ozzi is almost 12 wks now) he sleeps through the night and even manages to go to the backdoor to ask for toilet most of the time during the day.  It is exhausting and heart wrenching when they sound so distressed but now our little monkey gives a squeaky bark when he doesn't get his own way and I'm certain when he looks back it's a wry smile on his face - got you going again!!!

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 09:28:24 AM »
Fourth night update - she cried all night AGAIN!!!

She loves her new crate and dashed in as soon as I moved her bed in there. She spent all day going in and out, to play and to sleep. BUT it didnt make any difference to the sleeping.

She too discovered her bark last night, which is significantly louder than the yelping and crying. OH got up suddenly and started opening the gun safe, and for a moment I really did wonder if I was going to have to wrestle a gun out of his hands to stop him shooting her (and boy, I would have!!) , but luckily he was just finding earplugs! They seemed to help, but unfortunately they dont alleviate the guilt of leaving a pup to cry which is the main thing keeping me awake!

Came down this morning and she had torn her newspaper to strips, dragged her blanket in all her mess all over the floor and had left a large deposit right in the middle of the kitchen floor.

But I took one look at that beautiful face and the wagging tail this morning and it was all SOOOO worth it!  :luv: :luv: :luv:

We have been for our 3rd trip to school this morning - she loves smelling the fresh air and watching the traffic when I carry her to school with the kids, and obviously they love showing her off to their friends. We have a queue form round us in the playground, of 6yr old girls wanting to stroke her!  :005:

Now she is in her crate, fast asleep and as happy as larry, even though she is downstairs on her own! I dont see why it is so different at night.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 09:45:45 AM »

Is it perhaps too dark?? Initially we left a light on dimmed, so there was just a little bit of light for Honey to see by.  We also left the radio on very quietly, and gave her a hot water bottle.  Over time these were phased out, and we are now working on what time is morning!!! (actually making progress - we've woken her up the last 2 mornings!!!)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 10:12:39 AM »
I do feel for you - i thought 3 or so nights of 15 minutes crying was bad  ::)  I also left the little lamp on in the kitchen for the first 2 nights, then reduced it to the cooker hood light, then when he started to stop the crying, i turned it off completely.  I also slept on the settee for a week or so, and being one who HAS to sleep with the tv on he also had that in the background for a while. Infact im lying  ::) forgot the first 2 nights he slept in the living room in his dog carrier while i slept on the settee, armed and ready to let him out if he needed to.  After that he was moved into the kitchen with his crate.  Sorry if iv confused you?? I often confuse myself!  :005:  Also i tried the cover over the crate, but it was more daytime while i was at home and wanted to go upstairs to clean the bedrooms etc as he seemed to cry more then.

Its easy for me to say hang in there after having it relatively easy with mine, im sure it will pay off, once she realises that your coming back.

Chin up and head down while the house is empty!  :D

REUBY DOOO!

Offline crunchie

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »
Oh poor you.  Don't know if this might be of some help, but we used to actually shut Pringle in her crate at night with her water and she never, ever messed at night, not even from day one, so you could try that which might stop her dragging her bed through anything  ::)  Either OH or myself always used to wake up at least once in the night to use the bathroom, so we used to pop her out for toilet then and then just put her back in her crate until morning.  We did this until she was about 6 months old and then moved her into the utility room without her crate and with the baby gate up between the utility room and the kitchen and that is where she has been every since  :D.

Good luck, it will get better, honest.
Ann and Pringle

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »
I was very strange and slept downstairs in the kitchen on a camp bed next to his crate.  I didn't want him to wake the children, yet I wanted him to feel secure in the place I eventually wanted him to end up in. Over a period of a few days I moved further away from the cage, the door was open. Once I was happy that he liked his bed and was more used to the house.  Then I slept one night on the sofa, and then finally shut the door and went upstairs.  But everyone thought I was completely bonkers. But we didn't have any crying and he now sleeps all night, without mess, and has done since he was tiny.

Well, if you are bonkers, so am I - I did this with Molo as a puppy, and Bonnee when she first came to live with us when she was over a year old  :D  Like you, it worked well and they are happy to settle down at night wherever we are  ;)

I couldn't leave them alone so distressed and crying, so stayed close by until they were confident being left. Maybe I'm soft - I didn't leave my daughter to cry as a baby, either  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 04:32:18 PM »
I couldn't leave them alone so distressed and crying, so stayed close by until they were confident being left. Maybe I'm soft - I didn't leave my daughter to cry as a baby, either 

Cob-web, Im exactly the same with my kids. Could never buy into that Controlled Crying thing myself - in fact I had the kids in bed with me til they were about a year old. (but my mum blames that for my first marriage breaking down - not willing to take the risk with my lovely new hubby!  :luv: )

I tried sleeping on the sofa so Purdey could see me from the kitchen but she yelped all night anyway. She yelps if I shut the crate door even if I am in the room with her, so there doesnt seem to be anything that will stop her crying, apart from sleeping with the crate door open, but Id worry in case she wandered off around the house and chewed a cable or something.

She has a nightlight on, a ticking clock, a hotwater bottle and a cuddly toy! I dont think there is anything else I can try - I think we just have to be strong and get through the next few days/weeks on no sleep and hope she gets over it.  :-\

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »
Stick at it. Are you locking the crate at night? She might feel more secure this way. We left a ticking clock and a radio on low to try to help - we were so fed up after 4 nights i have to admit we slept with ear plugs in and managed to ignore Ollie for 2 nights and he stopped the crying. Cruel I know but it worked for us.

Keep trying and help the crying stops soon

many thanks

L&O x

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 05:29:41 PM »

She has a nightlight on, a ticking clock, a ho****er bottle and a cuddly toy! I dont think there is anything else I can try - I think we just have to be strong and get through the next few days/weeks on no sleep and hope she gets over it.  :-\

I'm sorry, but when I worked out why the system had **** your quote it made me laugh  :lol2:  Poor, innocent hot-water bottle - I will never quite see them in the same light again  :005: :005:

Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, just gave me a much-needed laugh!  I hope you start to see some success with Purdey soon.

Sue and Tilly

Offline Gunner

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 05:43:44 PM »
Try leaving a Radio on for her, it helped with Gunner he was like this for the first 10 nights then he was fine and still is thank doG
Just to add also maybe try putting a blanket over her crate

Good Luck  :D

Offline mharriss

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 05:46:07 PM »
Poor you.  I agree with the others try locking the crate and see if she feels more secure then.  I would stick with it.  Sorry to disagree with the others as I am only a newbie puppy owner I wouldnt want to upset, but I did leave my children crying and I did the same for Charlie the first two nights.  My children slept from 11 till 7 from 6 weeks old and Charlie does the same.  Know you cannot compare the two and I am by no means an expert in this field, but it did work for me.  Maybe I am stubborn and a little selfish  :D.  But you NEED your sleep too to be a good mummy to puppy and kids.  Earplugs and make her feel very safe is my advice ;).  Thoughts are with you tonight.  Let us know in the morning. x