Author Topic: Purdey - crying all night  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Re: Purdey - crying all night
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 05:49:12 PM »
Well I am no help at all.  Mine sleep in the bed with me ph34r
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »

She has a nightlight on, a ticking clock, a ho****er bottle and a cuddly toy

I'm sorry, but when I worked out why the system had **** your quote it made me laugh  :lol2:  Poor, innocent hot-water bottle - I will never quite see them in the same light again  :005: :005:
Sue and Tilly
:005: :005: That will teach me not to preview my message before posting. It took me a minute to work out what it had done!

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline stuffster

• Luna
Re: Purdey - NOT crying all night
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 08:23:10 AM »
Yay - it finally happened. Last night I shut Purdey in the kitchen at bedtime and she howled for about 10 minutes before just suddenly settling down. I didnt hear a peep out of her until 5 am when we had lots of lovely cuddles.  :luv:

She seems so much happier and livelier today - yesterday she was so tired from a night of howling she was too tired to play most of the day.

As for me, well Im giddy with all the sleep Ive had!!  :D

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 08:25:10 AM »
Hurrah, hope she keeps it up.  :D  Now you just need to be consistent and shut her in the crate and leave her at bedtime.  ;)  She will soon learn that it is time to go to sleep and settle down  :luv:  You are right, crying all night would tire her out too so she will feel better if she gets a good night's sleep too  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline mharriss

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2008, 08:26:21 AM »
I am so pleased for you and Purdey  :D A good nights sleep will make the world of difference to you both.  Well done!

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2008, 08:43:36 AM »
Great news......long may it continue!

With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 09:20:15 AM »
Yeah well done!! Enjoy now!  :luv: :luv:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline ROSIEA

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 01:01:18 PM »
Fab news.  What are you going to do with all this energy today?  i know in a previous post you said you were keeping and eye on Rosie well she is still being left around 10.30 and not a sound til she hears us get up in the morning.  Long may it continue for us all xxx ;)

Offline Dunton4

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 06:46:36 PM »
Way to go young Purdey!  :luv:

Sue and Tilly

Offline jlcounsell

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 07:26:08 PM »
sounds like purdey is nearly there with the sleeply though the night just one thing you may want to try which worked wonders for my little one. the radio on classic fm  :005:
Jane and inky

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2008, 12:52:37 AM »
I knew it was too good to be true!!

It is nearly 1am and she has been yelping and howling since we went to be at 11pm!  :-\ I'm beginning to wonder if I imagined last night or if a) I passed out from exhaustion and just couldnt hear her howling or if b)she passed out from exhastion.

Last night she had the crate door open when she slept right through (or so I think). She has had it open so far tonight, so I have just been down and shut her in the crate. Will see if that makes a difference.

I seem to remember when trying to get my kids to sleep through the night that they would have on and off days but they got there eventually. I'm just fighting all my motherly instincts to go and wrap her in my arms and snuggle her to sleep!!  :'(

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2008, 01:26:59 AM »
Update - its now 1.25am and she seems to have finally settled. At least its been quiet for 10 mins so Im off to bed. Maybe I didnt imagine her sleeping last night after all  :shades:

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2008, 04:25:05 AM »
Oh doG oh doG oh doG - its 4.20am now, and I havent so much as closed my eyes all night!!

She is still crying, and barking, and howling, and all I can think is what Neighbour From Hell is going to do about it if she can hear what I can hear!

If I go back to square one and bring her (Purdey, not the neighbour!!!) into the bedroom, or sleep downstairs with her, it will undo all the progress of the last 5 nights.

Its breaking my heart  :'( :'(

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2008, 04:43:41 AM »
Would have gone and issued cuddles by now (am big softie with pups), maybe she wants a wee?
Snuggled on sofa will prob fall asleep, will stop you worrying about neighbour and will let you nod off and feel human tomorrow (later today IYSWIM) but will also undo training  :-\ but can be justified (?) cos is only a baby, and was thinking of neighbours. (as mentioned am wrapped round the furry paws and am too soft!), but saves being tired all day and dealing with stroppy neighbour on top
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2008, 07:23:04 AM »
Oh goodness, poor Purdey, and poor you  ph34r

Why is you sleeping downstairs with her a problem?  If she is crying non-stop for several hours, then she hasn't really learnt anything so far, and is probably very scared and stressed, which will make the next night more difficult for her, etc etc.  :-\

I really don't see a problem with you sleeping next to her crate for a few days; your presence will reassure her, and you can settle her with your voice before she begins to howl/cry and get worked up  :'(  After a few days, you can move to sleep further away - so she can hear, but not see you until eventually you can go back upstairs to bed  ;)   I then used an interactive baby monitor (still do), so that I can hear my dogs if they become restless and before they get so distressed that their noise wakes me upstairs  :-\   This will also help you understand the meaning behind her cries - she will need to toilet in the night, and her "I need a wee" cries will be different from her "I'm lonely" cries; this way, you can pop down and let her out for a wee when she asks, confident that you are teaching her something positive :)

I've not known this method to cause long term problems; the dog learns to sleep in their "usual spot" but with a bit of added reassurance until they have developed their confidence :)

Good luck  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club