Author Topic: Raincoat needed?  (Read 2777 times)

Offline willowstar

• Site Member
Raincoat needed?
« on: July 06, 2008, 09:51:01 AM »
Hello,

My pup Lily really does not like the rain. She's fine with it if she's out on a walk and the rain gradually gets harder, but if we go out for a walk and its already hammering outside she will not go! I literally have to drag her  :huh:

I'm not sure whether to invest in a doggy raincoat, I don't really want to get strange looks (I don't see many other dogs wearing them!) but I do care about my little dog and want her to enjoy her walks.

Does anyone have any advice please?

Thanks

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Raincoat needed?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 10:07:20 AM »
Problem you have at the moment is rather like children with coats, shoes etc, you would be forever buying new ones to fit. Have you got the sleeve of an old water proof coat, (charity shops?) that you could perhaps adapt until she gets bigger? I must admit I would not take mine out if I can possibly help it in hammering rain - as I am not keen on getting that wet either  >:D (I know sometimes it is unavoidable tho :'()

Be really good if there was a puppy swap shop or library that we could borrow things like coats, to change as they get bigger, having said that I expect the rescue centres up and down the land would be pleased to accept the out-grown ones :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 01:11:37 PM »
Somebody I know with a Westie has this as he doesn't like the rain:

http://www.elmoswardrobe.com/products/rain-jackets_10/39_56.htm

...and he looks great in it.
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline Tess72

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 09:45:15 PM »
Florence wears a pink raincoat wiv a hood (altho she doesnt like the hood!!) which i got from pets at home, she didnt like it first time but has no problems now :luv:
Tess n Florence xx

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 10:23:24 PM »

Did you have to show me that?  :005: :005: Thats ace - i want the blue (everton) one for my dog! My partner is going to kill me!   ::)

On closer inspection it doesnt look very practical!  ::)

REUBY DOOO!

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 01:59:06 AM »
You could get a cheapy for now - PAH do some reasonable ones - as your puppy gets older (and if s/he is a show type) the coat gets longer, you could invest in a four legged mack - I've just bought one for Dax and it keeps him dry when out in the woods and saves a lot of time in grooming when I bring him home.  ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline Huggy Bear

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 04:17:35 PM »

Hey that site has some pretty cute stuff on it!!  :luv:

Offline Spaniel Ears

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 10:30:29 PM »
I love the idea of a raincoat too for Roxy, but does anyone know of one that has a hole to allow access to connect to a harness under it? 

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 10:31:51 PM »
Not a harness user myself, would it be possible to put the harness over the coat? Or wouldn't it work ?
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline Spaniel Ears

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 10:37:42 PM »
I wondered that, but i am worried that she would be able to back out of it?  I guess I could try it indoors to start with.

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 07:44:50 PM »
I put Dax's harness over the top of his four legged mack and it is fine  ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline Victoria Plumb

• Site Member
  • ~~Adores her cockers Digby & George~~
    • digby
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2008, 04:12:15 PM »
I would love to get coats for mine but my other half wont let me >:(  men eh!! :005:

Offline Spaniel Ears

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 08:57:24 PM »
I put Dax's harness over the top of his four legged mack and it is fine  ;)

Ah that's good to know.  I will have to give it a go.  I saw some fab raincoats at a show yesterday.

Offline Huggy Bear

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 12:28:56 PM »
I bought Huggy 2 raincoats, one red one blue as couldn't decide which colour would suit him best!! :005: They arrived in the post today so I have tried them on him, needless to say he ran around the garden like a mad thing trying to bite the hell out of it!! LOL  :rofl1:  Do you think if I persist and put it on him regularly he will get used to it!! They are really cute jackets and will be great in the rain!! Again typical it's been raining here all week and when they arrive it stops!! LOL!! Maybe he will realise what it's for when wearing one out in the rain!! What do you think????  ;)

Sadie

Offline hblower

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 12:40:27 PM »
orin is a bit of a woss too, if you open the back door and it is raining let a lone hammering he wont go out unless he is desperate.  he does have a nice weatherbeeta dog rug which keeps him dry apart from his lower legs but he loves it, it is a bit of a battle to get it on as he gets sooo excited but once on he loves it.  he has had it on in snow, wet and gone down lanes, undergrowth etc and it doesnt move and just chuck in washing machine.