Author Topic: The first six weeks with Noodle.  (Read 1274 times)

Offline SwanJack

The first six weeks with Noodle.
« on: July 18, 2008, 03:52:29 PM »
Well it’s been 6 weeks since we got Noodle, our black and tan working cocker whose now 13 and a bit weeks old, so I thought I’d post some thoughts. 
She has slept through the night since the day we got her, in this regard we must be blessed.  We took a blanket when collecting her and got the Breeder to rub it all over her mum.  This went into her bed when we got her home.  Not sure if this helped to settle her, but it did no harm.  The first week was spent very much ‘finding feet’.  The plants in the garden took a hammering.  She learnt to fetch/retrieve during this time.
The next few weeks were very much up and down.  There were periods of brilliant puppy play, intersected by madness with biting and ‘perceived’ aggressiveness, which drove us to despair.  We tried to stop this by means fair to some, foul to others.   Things did get easier when our three year old learnt to stand up, raise his arms and shout ‘down’.  She very rarely hassles him now and she’s the first thing he looks for when he gets home- result.  With hindsight, it seems that she goes overboard after 6/7pm when she is overly tired.  I think we need to take some blame in not realising this earlier.  She has been very good as far as chewing is concerned, our old TV cabinet, which is being held together by willpower, has taken the most damage.  She will toilet when we take her into the garden and she has the occasional accident.  Getting through the night ‘dry’ is yet to be seen, but hey, she only has a small bladder.
Now that she is allowed out and about, things are so much better.  We have taken her to the beach, where she paddled a bit and chased some gulls.  She gets a walk in morning and at tea time, she’ll need to have more as she gets older.  Butterflies in the fields around our house are a source of much amusement.  She has been off the lead from day one.  She comes to be put on the lead when called (with the aid of some treats!).  She doesn’t seem to be afraid of other dogs, but we put her on the lead to be sure.  Cars don’t seem to bother her.  What is strange though is that she is a real scavenger when we eat.  She gets enough of her own food, but still wants ours, despite never having been fed scraps.   
For all those going through a stressful time, in our experience, things get immeasurably better when you can take your pup out.
Anyway, I’ve posted a video of our walk this morning in the video forum.  She hasn’t been still long enough to take a photo!

Offline LinzB

Re: The first six weeks with Noodle.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »
Aww, glad things are starting to get better for you! We've had Millie for 8 weeks now, and we've been through it all as well! (apart from the small child bit as we haven't got one! unless you count OH, but thats another story...!  :005:) I do agree it gets so much better when they can go outside and see the big wide world, the new experiences round them I think, though I'm by no means an expert as Millie is my first puppy. With regards the biting, Millie is not much older than Noodle now and she's doing it less and less, even my mum commented on it after having not seen her for 2 weeks last weekend, how she plays now instead of just constantly chewing hands! I'm sure it might get worse before it stops completely (dreaded teething phase!) but she's recently become a darling, and I hope it continues! If it's any consolation as well, Millie has never been fed scraps, but still turns the doleful spaniel eyes on us whenever we eat or drink, even if she's still got food in her bowl!  :lol2: 

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 05:02:48 PM »
What a lovely well balanced post from a newbie :blink: . It sounds as though you are doing fine. I am sure it will help first time owners.
  What is strange though is that she is a real scavenger when we eat.  She gets enough of her own food, but still wants ours, despite never having been fed scraps.   
Not strange at all. You have a cocker  :lol2:  ;)
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 08:21:39 PM »
yes its a cocker thing !Roxy is over a year old and still begs for food even tho she has never got anything while we are eating!

piggy doggies!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 06:10:23 PM »
That was a lovely post, things obviously going well there :shades: :luv:, long may it remain so, and yes, I agree too.  it is much easier once the little ones can get out and about.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 06:16:29 PM »
Glad to hear things are going so well, off to look at video now.

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 10:47:46 PM »
welcome to the world of owning a cocker, Annie would take the food out of our mouths given half the chance ph34r
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline SwanJack

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
Thanks for your replies. Growing up we had a Jack Russel that was always on the scrounge, but that was because it had been fed from the table by us sneaky kids.  Later we had a King Charles and then a Westie.  These were never on the scrounge as they were only fed at their meal times.  Cockers are definately a breed to themselves   :lol: