Author Topic: 2 problems. Can you help?  (Read 790 times)

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
2 problems. Can you help?
« on: July 11, 2008, 12:47:57 AM »
Sorry this is a bit long mods  :-\
Problem one: I am puzzled  ph34r
I have noticed over the last week or so that some of the fur on the front of Dax's legs is broken in the shin area.  it isn't particularly obvious when I brush his leg coat but on closer inspection I can see where the coat has broken off.  Under the long hair he has very short hair on the shin which is very dense and a different texture.  It is even in length like it has grown that way.  I've noticed that he has been licking his fur but then this is nothing knew; the boy likes to wash himself cos he doesn't like to be dirty.   :angel: :005:

The fur doesn't seem to be sodden or anything though.  I took him to the vet to be checked out just in case of mites etc., who said she thought he wasn't nibbling and there was nothing to suggest mites.  :blink:  I've doused the front of his leg and between the toes on his feet with Thornits just in case and will keep this up daily for the time being.  I also do his ears inside and at the tips with Thornits because they are in regular contact with his front legs and feet  :005: and all manner of other things  :o

I frontline combi him every month the last time being the end of June.  I also groom him every day without fail.  However, he has defo picked up a flee  >:D  ph34r from somewhere and it was vicious! and this has caused some skin irritation which I've been soothing with tea tree oil and that is improving.  I always spray the whoooooole house twice a year which I did around march but have done this again to be on the safe side - his bedding is sprayed as well.  I can't see any evidence of flee irritation on the shin area thoughI'
The other possibilities are that have been using Ice on Ice on his coat when grooming which I've been doing for a couple of weeks so I've stopped using it in case he is allergic to it.  I had used organic products before this so I'm going to try Quistel.

Other possibilities are that I got him a four legged coat for wood walks which is elasticated at the ankle.  After wearing it his coat blew  >:((I've never known his coat to blow before) and it took me 2.5 hours to get all the fuzz, tangles and the beginning of matts out of his coat  ph34r - his legs and feet were particularly messy so maybe this contributed?

I thought maybe he could be stressed after being attacked or that he could be bored in his crate overnight so has been nibblin when on his own so have been putting extra things in his crate to keep him occupied.

Any other ideas?  :-\

Problem 2: after being attacked he has a bald patch on his face which is about one inch by half an inch - I've been rubbing bio oil into the skin twice a day and gently massaging it for as long as he will tolerate (which is not very long and I don't want to push it).   He loves the smell of the bio oil  :005: tail wags till it will drop off when he sees the bottle  :rofl1:

Is there anything else I can do to encourage the hair growth?  Does anyone have experience of something similar?
My vet says she thinks it will probably grow back but it will take some time.

Thanks. ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline phoenix

• Donator
Re: 2 problems. Can you help?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 09:46:06 AM »
Problem 1 ...sorry, i have nothing to suggest
problem  2 .... There is no magic hair growth cure. Hair grows in cycles, so when the appropriate time comes, the hair should grow back fully as long as the attack didn't chomp deep enough to remove the hair follicles. Most quack recipes claim that hair growth will return in a couple of monthsl, but common sense would say that that would have occurred naturally anyway in the hair growth cycle, as your vet said.
My other dog had a severe skin infection and was shaved around the wounds, and it took over 6 months to look decent, and is now perfect. On the face, it will be short 'guard hairs' which grow slower than fluffy undercoat .
 What a shame he was attacked, hope you've both got over it,

RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline barnacle

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:08:25 PM »
What do you men by his coat blew? I have heard this mentioned before but have no idea what it means!

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 07:07:09 PM »
thanks phoenix ... I dont mind waiting for the facial hair to grow as long as it does ... the bio oil doesn't claim to help the hair grow but it is good for scar tissue and helping blood circulation so it can't do any harm I guess.  How long is the hair growth cycle?  some of the hair did come out at the root but the part that didn't scab has grown back already - this patch had a mix of hair which remained and hair which was torn out - it bled and formed a scab - when the scab dropped off it left this bald patch.  I have checked it again today and I think some of the hair around the periphery of the patch looks like it is starting to recover - the rest looks like there has been no change - time will tell I guess.

barnacle - what I mean by the coat blew is that the fluffy undercoat starts to mat and looks like felt - when this happens quickly it is referred to as a blown coat - ie: overnight for example.  it is an expression I picked up when I had Lhasas and is a common problem with them.  I think it is because Dax has a mix of adult coat and puppy coat so whilst the hair is changing (despite meticulous grooming) this could be a problem.

Thanks for taking the time to reply  ;)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 07:09:37 PM »
after Jarvis and Rudy had their fight, Jarvis was left with small bald patches on his face :'( i posted on here asking about them, and was told they should grow over in 8 weeks or so, and they did. :shades: :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 07:37:48 PM »
Thanks Beth - thats great!  :blink:

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 07:41:56 PM »
Vita oil is a good product for hair growth.
Sophie has been on it since she was a puppy and she has never lost her coat  :blink: