Author Topic: utterly shocked at peoples behaviour  (Read 4709 times)

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
utterly shocked at peoples behaviour
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:34:08 AM »
hi all,
I was out walking Jack before work last night and at the end of our walk we go down an allotment lane. id just whistled jack back to me and put him on the lead when i turned round and saw a man had been watching us. He asked me if we wer working jack and said his friend had a ftch. I love talking to people about working dogs and dont get alot of chance on walks so we started chatting and he was stroking Jack. He stood up and Jack jumped up at him wanting more cuddles and this man hit Jack on the bum and told him to get down then hit him hard across the face so jack head swung and he cowered. I just stood there for a second in complete shock. Jacks never been hit before we dont agree with it and i couldnt believe some stranger had started hitting my dog. Im ashamed to say i just walked away when i should of had a go at him but i was worried me screaming would upset jack even more and was so upset i just wanted to get home. i spent all last night in work really upset and worked up about it and wishing id had a go at the guy and hit him across his face.
jo

Offline purdyrose

Re: utterly shocked at peoples behaviour
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:42:19 AM »
Oh my god...how old is Jack?
That was awful.... as you say, you were so godsmacked that you didn't say anything but you do also have to be careful while walking alone, even with a dog nowadays, as there are some strange people about. It's a shame that you can't track this man down & confront him - in a safe place and just get it off your chest about how you feel. I too would have been fuming >:(
Leigh

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 10:44:53 AM »
I really hate that behaviour - when Jarv was a pup we were talking similarly to someone who was really over-exciting him so he jumped up at her - her response was to knee him in the chest, and tell me I should really be getting him under control and not be pussy-footing around him  :-\  Thing was she could have really hurt him...I too was just stunned and didn't say anything.  Afterwards when I thought about it I was furious!

Unfortunately there are still some very antiquated outdated and downright cruel methods of gundog training out there - and you have encountered one of their fans.

Avoid him like the plague  ph34r and if it's any solace, I would be feeling exactly the same (can't say the bad words on a family forum  ph34r )

helen & jarvis x

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:53:44 AM »
that's outrageous!  >:D

i'm sure i'd have reacted exactly the same out of shock but i'm sure you wont if someone tries to do something similar to your pup again!

big cuddles for jack! xx
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 11:41:20 AM »
Jacks only 7mths old. I know this guys allotment and have been speaking to the other dog walkers about him this morning. Il probably see him again and im going to tell him to stay away from Jack and not go near him again. Im not even going to bother to try to explain to him why people shouldnt hit dogs as i would be wasting my breath. What really annoys me is when Jack was younger he was a little wary of people and loads of nice dog walkers we met would give him treats and strokes and it had really built his confidence. Jack was about 5ft on front of me today and when he saw a man approaching he lay in the grass and was very wary of approaching him even when i was chatting with him. I explained what had happened and the man was really good he waited for Jack to come up to him then when Jack seemed to have relaxed around him he gave him a little stroke which Jack enjoyed so hopefully he will be back to normal after a few nice new experiences. 

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 11:42:16 AM »
OMG I am shocked that somebody could behave this way  >:D  >:D I think you did the right thing walking away it is usually pointless trying to reason with ignorant Bs like him.
Please try to find some friendly men to interact with Jack to get his confidence back.

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:00:36 PM »
sorry I would have swiped for him NO ONE touches my puppy but me.  There are gentler ways to stop a puppy jumping up. Some people are old fashioned and although some methods work cruelty isn't one of them.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 01:15:33 PM »
I think you were very restrained. I don't know what I would do in that situation but my instinct now would be to say "Don't you DARE hit my dog!" But I'm probably too much of a wuss to actually say that.

Offline kalem

• Limited Member
  • Me and my Gal xx
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 02:26:33 PM »
The B****y cheek of the man, he would of got the dogs lead around his face if it were me, although shock leaves you stunned, I dont even like telling Lucy off let alone smacking her, I never smacked my kids and would never smack my dog, what is wrong with some people   >:D >:D

Hope Jack dosent get affected by this, and hope your okay too  :luv:

"My World is Orange" with a few blonde highlights
To the world my Cocker is just a dog, to me my Cocker is the World

Offline angelbaby

• Site Member
  • My love, my life, my cocker spaniel
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 03:28:36 PM »
omg how dare he! i would of been tempted to slap him back the bloody cheek of it :o  poor Jack!
Next time you see him and he tries to talk to you, tell him to stay away from you and your dog! rude man
My little angel, sent to me in my time of need, i love you with every piece of my broken heart xx
My beautiful boy xx

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 06:23:09 PM »
you are quite right to be angry and dont feel bad for not acting aggressively back, why should you lower yourself to his standards. you were in shock. now you have had a chance to gather your wits when you see him again you can say your piece or ignore him.
 me ? Id wait to see if he tried to approach you again then politely but firmly say you arent interested. walk away. If hes violent to a dog, to a dog in public he doesnt even own, he may be a violent man to women so be very careful.  de- escalate and keep away from him.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »
I would have been furious too but probably too gobsmacked to react at the time >:D  If I saw him again I would certainly want to let him know how I felt about it but agree with Jean you really do not know what he is like so I would only do this if there were plenty of people around  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline merry

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 07:05:20 PM »
How terrible for you and Jack.  I don't know what I would have done in that situation - run away probably - but you've done a good thing warning other people about him - what a nasty piece of work >:D

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 07:12:56 PM »
Hi - I am appalled  >:D if you know who he is I suggest you report him to the dog warden and the RSPCA for cruelty.   >:( You are right you will be wasting your breath talking to him but he might listen to the voice of authority  :police: if you can persuade them to talk to him about his behaviour.  Downright cruel!!!! And he is only a baby -  I do hope he will be ok  ;)
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 07:42:14 PM »
there are still some people in this world that believe that is how you train dogs - appalling that it may seem to us enlightened ones... he probably see's nothing wrong in that kind of treatment, in fact I'm sure he doesn't as he reacted out of training habits of a lifetime.  I honestly don't believe because he did this to Jack that he is a potentially violent man, and I honestly believe he won't even be aware that this upset you. 

Just keep away from him, or next time you do see him tell him that you train your dog your own way and that he is not to touch him.

Although his treatment is abysmal, I don't think Jack will have any repercussions from it apart from probably not wanting to go near him. 
helen & jarvis x