Author Topic: Why so negative?!  (Read 3869 times)

Offline JerryBerry

Why so negative?!
« on: July 16, 2008, 04:12:13 PM »
Just wondered if I'm the only one that gets this? - when we are out walking Jerry we inevitabley end up chatting to other dog walkers and MANY of them make the same comment..it goes like this...(suck air through their teeth) a spaniel!...ooohh I bet he's a nightmare?! they never stop do they? they are supposed to be really hard work!

Obviously I then tell them that actually if Jerry has a couple of good romps through the wood and a bit of clicker training to keep him stimulated, he is actually quite calm in the house! - they then look at me doubtfully before informing me that he obviously hasnt found his feet yet and WILL be a nightmare!!!!  The latest of these conversations was a 6am this morning with the owner of a VERY bouncy whippet which dives on Jerrys head every morning before literally dragging his owner off! - I just looked at her in suprise! I think she must have read my mind as she at least had the decency to look a bit embarassed at the fact that while she was saying this HER dog had its front paws on my shoulders while Jerry say nicely waiting to be fussed!

I could bore people forever and day about all the positive attributes these ickle doggies have but all most people seem to think is that they are horrendously hard work!   Phew, feel better for that! thanks for reading  :005:
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Why so negative?!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 04:17:12 PM »
Just agree  :lol2:  then a) it makes you look like a marvellous dog handler as your dog grows up to be a nice and well behaved little dog and b) it may stop people from buying them because they are cute and need less grooming than 'normal cockers' without appreciating they will have a busy, energetic working dog on their hands  ph34r
helen & jarvis x

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 04:19:56 PM »
I always get told that even though cockers are mental at least they're not as bad as springers  ::)
People just like to generalise all different types of dogs. I had this comment made to me by a lady that had a terrier crossed with a pug when I aksed why she had gone for this cross she said because they are cute  ::)

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 04:22:06 PM »
My best comment was a lady who came to view one of our rescue dogs who would never have a spaniel because they smell  ph34r

I politely put her right about this, surely any dog can smell and it's more down to food, grooming etc...
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 04:26:24 PM »
Just agree  :lol2:  then a) it makes you look like a marvellous dog handler as your dog grows up to be a nice and well behaved little dog and b) it may stop people from buying them because they are cute and need less grooming than 'normal cockers' without appreciating they will have a busy, energetic working dog on their hands  ph34r

Never thought of that!! I'm sure the next person to say it will only be a day or so away so will defo take this tack with them!  ;)
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 04:26:47 PM »
 >:D ...why do people generalise about breeds  >:D

I think she must have read my mind as she at least had the decency to look a bit embarassed at the fact that while she was saying this HER dog had its front paws on my shoulders while Jerry say nicely waiting to be fussed!

Good boy Jerry  :luv: :luv: :luv:
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 04:28:21 PM »
My best comment was a lady who came to view one of our rescue dogs who would never have a spaniel because they smell  ph34r

I politely put her right about this, surely any dog can smell and it's more down to food, grooming etc...

We've had the springaling stay and I've had to crate her after a swim because she HONKS when she's wet - none of the cockers I know do, Jarv has a faint wet dog smell but this takes the biscuit ....  she's fed what he is, and she has been in the river every day with Jarv and I've been brushing her (and her ears are clean and thornit-ed)

It's just a really strong wet dog odour....REALLY strong....
helen & jarvis x

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 04:28:36 PM »
Well, while these silly people don't want spaniels, there is more for us. :005:
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 04:30:01 PM »

We've had the springaling stay and I've had to crate her after a swim because she HONKS when she's wet - none of the cockers I know do, Jarv has a faint wet dog smell but this takes the biscuit ....  she's fed what he is, and she has been in the river every day with Jarv and I've been brushing her (and her ears are clean and thornit-ed)

Sorry but can you enlighten me on the parentage of a springaling? Sorry for being stoopid  ph34r

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 04:31:10 PM »

Sorry but can you enlighten me on the parentage of a springaling? Sorry for being stoopid  ph34r

sorry, it's my nickname for springer spaniels (i call 'em springalingadingdongs after a long running joke on another forum   ph34r )
helen & jarvis x

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »

sorry, it's my nickname for springer spaniels (i call 'em springalingadingdongs after a long running joke on another forum   ph34r )

Helen, this is the 3rd post of yours i've read in the past 15 minutes that has made me laugh my head off!!! My kids are wondering what I'm doing!
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 04:34:34 PM »
oops - means I'm on here too much   ph34r ph34r  have a good excuse, have had a really frustrating day and have given myself an hour off  ::) or more.... :005:
helen & jarvis x

Offline JerryBerry

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 04:35:58 PM »
No it doesnt! it just means you have the same silly sense of humour as me! - theres no hope I tell ye!
MICHELLE AND JERRY XXX

Offline Millbean

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 04:51:35 PM »
When I take Bertie (10 month Blue Roan) for a walk, other dog walkers all seem to have an opinion about spaniels (some good, some not so good)!  I listen and, mostly, ignore everything they say. 

I have learnt all I know about spaniels from Cockers on Line and am totally convinced I have a perfectly normal cocker who, sometimes is a  >:D and sometimes is an  :angel:, somtimes he's  :005:; sometimes he makes me :lol2: and sometimes he makes me :'( but all of the time I  :luv: him.

The funniest thing anyone said to me was "will his ears be long?", as they dangled along the grass.  Can you really take any comment seriously!!

Bertie  12.9.2007 - 4.11.2016

Offline LinzB

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 05:20:09 PM »
We've had soooo many people say the same to us not just since we got Mills, but also when we had decided on a cocker! OH's parents have had them for 20 years so knew what they were all about, but everyone else we spoke to in work, or just generally all said "oh, they're the mad ones aren't they?" !! T'ch! Everyone lumps spangles together! We've found Millie to be fab, yes she has a mad half hour, but I'm sure every pup is energy filled! My Auntie & Uncle inherited a 4 year old yorkie who can climb Snowdon and back and still be gagging for more exercise! Now thats a crazy dog!  :005: