Author Topic: Just back from France  (Read 805 times)

Offline jenza

• Site Member
Just back from France
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:27:50 AM »
We were very worried about taking pup abroad but need not have done.    We went by Shuttle which was good to have her with us as she was very apprehensive with all the noise - but  the DAP spray helped and being able to have her on my knee soon calmed her down.  Nine hours of travel the next day and she travelled absolutely brilliantly and stopped every couple of hours at the Aires to give her a good run. The French absolutely adored her and was the constant centre of attention wherever we went - she just loved that! Even in restaurants she was given her own water bowl.  Coming back in UK was easier then we thought 5 minutes in pet contol to check paperwork and quick chip scan and we were soon on our way home.  One word of warning though - If anyone is taking there pup for the first time though please get them a scalibor collar and  try to keep them out of forested areas and take a tick remover with you just in case.

Think shes as miserable as me this morning being back home and has disappeared somewhere in the mountain of washing on my kitchen floor...groan

Offline tiamaria

• CHARLEY CHOPS
Re: Just back from France
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:36:28 AM »
Aww how nice!  :D Welcome back to reality!  :005:

REUBY DOOO!

Offline Huggy Bear

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:15:28 AM »
Hi, that's good to know!! My Mum lives out in France and I had wondered how easy it would be to take Huggy with us sometime! Hope you had a nice holiday!  ;)

Offline AllyH

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:46:14 PM »
Your holiday sounds fab :shades:
We would really like to take Ozzi in the future as my in laws have moved to France - but it looked really complicated when I had a quick look at the passport regulations :huh: Did you find it quite easy?
The washing pile is always the worst bit of coming home -and then you have to iron it all ph34r  :005:
When did he take over my life?:-)

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 05:39:36 PM »
Did you need to get a blood test for her 24 hours before you returned to UK ?

I was reading the defra website and they said about blood. We were taking the cockers to Spain next year but I was unsure after visiting the website.

Jo

Offline jenza

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 03:38:29 PM »

I was reading the defra website and they said about blood. We were taking the cockers to Spain next year but I was unsure after visiting the website.

Jo

Jo - No you don't need blood taken, visit the vet 24 - 48 hours before returning to UK - he will check dog over and put drops of frontline on neck and give worming tablet. (I would advise finding and checking out vets on your arrival and making an appointment) At customs it was much more simpler then we imagined.  They just checked paperwork was in order, scanned for microchip and 5 minutes later we were out.  We went by shuttle so guess its the same proceedures at the ports, the only thing we were worried about was getting timing right because if you're over the 48 hours by even a few minutes apparantly they won't let you though customs.  Our pup travelled really well but was sick a bit the next day after visit to vets - we think it may have been the worming tablet that had upset her.  I'm sure you'll have as much fun as us with having your dogs with you!

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 03:53:34 PM »

Jo

Jo - No you don't need blood taken, visit the vet 24 - 48 hours before returning to UK - he will check dog over and put drops of frontline on neck and give worming tablet. (I would advise finding and checking out vets on your arrival and making an appointment) At customs it was much more simpler then we imagined.  They just checked paperwork was in order, scanned for microchip and 5 minutes later we were out.  We went by shuttle so guess its the same proceedures at the ports, the only thing we were worried about was getting timing right because if you're over the 48 hours by even a few minutes apparantly they won't let you though customs.  Our pup travelled really well but was sick a bit the next day after visit to vets - we think it may have been the worming tablet that had upset her.  I'm sure you'll have as much fun as us with having your dogs with you!

Thank you  I was worrying about the blood test. My son lives in Spain and has 2 dogs and a lovely vet so will pop along and see him before we leave to get the frontline and wormer. Feel much better now  :D