10 (58.8%)
6-12 months
5 (29.4%)
over 12 months
0 (0%)
never
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Toilet training again!  (Read 1120 times)

Offline barnacle

• Site Member
Toilet training again!
« on: July 16, 2008, 09:34:32 AM »
Barney is STILL not fully trained, we have a few days of being clean but then like yesterday he has days where he us useless, 2 poos and a wee in the house yesterday. He is now 8 months and I felt sure he should be reliable by now.

How old were your dogs when they were trained? Is he the exception or the norm? Will he ever get the hang of it? I am worried now!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
Re: Toilet training again!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 09:41:01 AM »

Honey was about 7-8 months before things finally clicked, and even then we had a few mishaps when we changed her diet.... so don't despair!!!

I have read that some dogs aren't fully house trained till about a year.... 8 months is a little on the slow side, but not unheard of!  :D

It sounds like he is getting the hang of it, if you are having several days where he is clean and dry!!!  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:47:35 AM »
I put 3-6 months but we still find the odd poop in the house (he's 8 months).
I think they just like to test us every now and again. Barney's off days don't relate to bad days weather wise do they? My last cocker hated the rain and I had to walk him lots of times a day if it was raining to get him to perform.

Offline barnacle

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:51:17 AM »
he is worse on rainy days but yesterday was blazing sun and he had loads of walks!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »

Bear in mind that on hotter days he will be drinking more to cool down....  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline lopey99

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 12:29:26 PM »
Cassie is more or less 100%, if she needs to go she'll sit at the back door and if we ask her if she wants out she'll pogo off the door until we get to it - i swear theres gonna be a puppy shaped hole in it one day  :005:

However a few times if we havent noticed her she may go by the back door. This hasnt happened in awhile now and unfortunately last week something came up and she was alone for about 6/7 hours and didnt go in the house at all which i thought was great for a 5 month puppy, she was doing the 'i gotta pee dance' from the minute i got in, didnt even get a proper hello it was just boucing off the back door - more wee mite.

sometime i do think they just get forgetful but a far as the rain is concerned cassie pretends she has to go so she can get out and get wet and mucky and lick the rain off the door  :005:

Offline aberry

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:46:07 PM »
Relief  .... my Henry is not so abnormal then!! Now 8 months and still we get the occasional poo -- Wees seem to have been sorted !!

Henry is the first dog after five bitches and so much slower that the others - is there a male v female thing ??  (Little girls tend to be quicker at potty-training than boys !!)

Lets hope in a month's time we can say we've cracked it......or rather the dog has!!

Alison

Offline sabrino

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 07:18:45 AM »
I'm afraid we were really really lucky with Milo, he appeared to be almost housetrained from the day dot. He widdled in the house out of excitement up to about 13 weeks but we only ever had two poos in the house EVER. I was amazed as our last dog (fell terrier) took months and months and months and was forever pooing behind the kitchen door so that when you opened it in the morning it spread across the floor  ::)
Sabrina, Milo & Lupin x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 08:22:02 AM »
Coco took ages too - not quite sure when she became 100% reliable but it was certainly nearly a year  ::)  I did all the right stuff - taking her outside all the time, praising like mad etc  :-\  I thought I would have it sorted in a couple of weeks - sadly no.  >:( I do know that once I stopped worrying about whether she was normal or not, it got a lot easier. ;) Take no notice of people who tell you it shouldn't take that long, all pups are different and do things in their own time.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 03:37:19 PM »
Coco took ages too - not quite sure when she became 100% reliable but it was certainly nearly a year  ::)  I did all the right stuff - taking her outside all the time, praising like mad etc  :-\  I thought I would have it sorted in a couple of weeks - sadly no.  >:( I do know that once I stopped worrying about whether she was normal or not, it got a lot easier. ;) Take no notice of people who tell you it shouldn't take that long, all pups are different and do things in their own time.  ;)

Definately!!! Do not compare your pups to anyone elses, otherwise you will just be stressing over something. They all eventually become trained, its obviously not something your doing wrong so dont worry, just ensure you still keep plenty of Kitchen roll  :005:

In relation to my 2, 19 and 17wks, Alfie at 19weeks is better than Honey, but she is 2 weeks behind. He has never pooped and she has 3times.

He hardly wee's and is about 99%, Honey is about 90% fully trained
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 03:48:34 PM »
Bailey was 11 months.  No accidents since then, she is now 3
Rosie is 11 months and had an accident when I was out last Friday  :-\
My retrievers were fantastic both 100% by 16 weeks  :luv: :luv:
It has definitely taken the cocker's longer for the penny to drop  :005:

Jo

Offline Victoria Plumb

• Site Member
  • ~~Adores her cockers Digby & George~~
    • digby
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 07:04:39 PM »
I TOTALLY understand!!  I have Digby who is 14 months and I would say was fully trained by about 6 months. Our new baby is George who is only 17 weeks but blimey he is hard work in this area and I can tell hes not picking it up as quickly as Digby did. George too seems to have good and bad days but I am just continuing on loads of praise and tbh not getting too stressed about the accidents.
They will get there eventually. :D

Offline Supa cocker doppers

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 08:39:56 PM »
You have all cheered me up on this subject - I thought Ellie was being a real slow coach with toilet training. Other puppy owners at training were all saying mine has been clean for weeks now.

Well touch wood I think Ellie has cracked it at 22 weeks.

She does the cocker pogo at the back door and is dry and clean overnight.

Not sure if she would bark or cry if I dont see her and she wants to go out.

She does wimper at night /early morning and at first I would get up but she did not seem to want the toilet. she does wimper if one of the children get up for the toilet at night - I try to ignore her but it is hard.

Any one have any ideas on what to do with this ??

Some have said to put her in a crate with  rug over it but I just dont like the idea of a cage. I know Im daft but I just cant go for it.

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 10:40:06 PM »
yep I would have to agree, the more stressed out you become, the longer it seems to take, :embarassed: what amazes me is Katie always finds the only bit of flooring not covered in newspaper :005:, but still she has not been with me a week yet and is only 9 weeks old so quite a way to go yet. I have a dog playpen in the garden that I put her in when we go outside (saves me having to search for her when it is dark)!! and she does wee in there - then tends to want to eat the grass - bless her ::)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.