Author Topic: Getting ready  (Read 7398 times)

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Getting ready
« on: May 09, 2004, 07:05:14 PM »
13 days to go!!!!!!!!

My question is how can we prepare Blue for Baileys arrival!

I know this may sound silly but I was thinking of maybe putting the puppy pen in place a couple of days before Bailey arrives, just so that all these new things dont just appear with the new puppy, do you think it's a good idea or wont Blue know the difference????????

Should I let Blue play with Baileys new toys? or should I make it clear to Blue that he has his own toys and so does Bailey?

Also I wanted to ask you all about introducing the pup to Blue - I love the idea of wrapping Bailey in Blues towel :wink:  but do I introduce them in the garden first or just bring Bailey all wrapped in the towel straight into the house???

Sorry to bombard you all with so many questions only I want every thing to be all ready for our little man                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Getting ready
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 07:29:49 PM »
Hi maria and blue! :lol:

You are so excited arn't you!

When we got Evie, we put the crate up a few days before and molly kept going in it! We did'nt say anything we just let her go and lie in it if she wanted to. When they first met it was raining so it had to be inside, molly was very well behaved ( we were all on pins because she can be a little growly with dogs she does'nt know) Evie was quite scared for a few mins,  but things went surprisingly well   :shock:

Just remember that it's like having a new baby :roll: and the older sibling   ( Blue ) will be jealous of all the attention Bailey will be getting so remember to heap loads of love ,kisses and cuddles on to Blue ( I know you will .)

Also (sorry to go on!) make sure you do loads of ironing, washing, cleaning etc. in the next 13 days as you won't get a minute to yourself for ages! but it's all good fun :wink:

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Getting ready
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 07:44:05 PM »
You are so excited arn't you!

Yep!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks for your reply Lizzy, that sounds like good advise to treat the situation as if I were bringing a new baby home :D  and yes I have already been catching up on all housework so that I can concentrate on my boys when Bailey gets here :wink:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Getting ready
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 08:52:47 PM »
In the same situation as you Maria, so all help appreciated.
I'm sure our Lab will be fine....but I want to make it as stressfree as possible for both of them.

I told my daughter that maybe it would be best to sit on the floor with Lottie on her lap, wrapped in the towel and let Goldie come to investigate.

I'm sure we will both be fine with the introductions, but you can't help worrying just a little.

Lucky you Maria, only 13 days :D                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Getting ready
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 09:08:59 PM »
We have had Abby's crate up for a while now and if Billy want to go in we let him, We are planning to take Billy with us to pick up the pup and allow him to meet her at the breeders hopefully a more neutral ground :D but otherwise I would think the garden would be the best place.

Michelle                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Getting ready
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 09:23:17 PM »
Hi Maria

We introduced them at Eric's mum's house as she was looking after Morgan for the day when we went to collect Cooper.  We went in and gave Cooper to Eric's mum and she took him upstairs.  When Morgan came out he spent about 10 minutes snififng us as he obviously knew we had been somewhere interesting  :lol:  Then we took Cooper down and put him on the floor.  They spent the next hour just following eachother round the house - Morgan was amazed with this new addition.  They have been great together ever since!

Re the toys - I wish you the best of luck in trying to keep them seperate  :lol:  'Morgan's toys' and 'Coopers toys' became 'Morgan and Cooper's toys' after....let me see......5 seconds.  Cooper has actually wrecked most of the toys that were here before his arrival. They are gradually making their way into the bin as he finds a way of turning them into confetti  :roll:  :lol:

Cooper was in a box beside the bed at night for the first few weeks.  Now he sleeps on the pillow and Morgan's at my feet  :wink:  :roll:  :?  :D We are so weak  :oops:

You sound so excited.  We didn't have the same build up with Cooper as we had with Morgan as it all happened so quickly - I was reading my chewed up copy of The Perfect Puppy on the ferry as we went to collect him   :wink:  Good idea to get the housework out of the way  :D  

13 days and counting!                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Getting ready
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 10:12:27 AM »
I'm sure we will both be fine with the introductions, but you can't help worrying just a little.

No Sheila, you cant help but worry! :roll:

I just want to do everything right that I'm scared I'm going to do it all wrong!!! :lol:

But with lots of us all getting puppies at the same time I'm sure that we are all going through the same worries and concerns, but that is the great thing about COL  I always know that there is support there when I need it, and that somebody has always 'been there and done that' or are about to go through the same thing themselves.:wink:  :D

Thanks to you all :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Getting ready
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 04:29:00 PM »
My suggestion to all you lucky lot getting new babies is this...
If the weather permits and you can introduce in the garden, so much the better, and have the puppy in situ first and then bring the resident dog out to meet him. I think the blanket smelling of the older dog is a great idea and has always helped when I've took a puppy to its new home (unusual I know but it helps me part with them that little bit more easily if I can see where they are going to sleep etc).
As suggested make sure you get up to date with the the and the                    

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Getting ready
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 04:47:29 PM »
Michele, love the little piccie's,made me smile! :lol:
Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Getting ready
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 06:00:45 PM »
Michele, love the little piccie's,made me smile! :lol:  
Lizzy Molly and Evie

And me  :lol:  :lol:                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Getting ready
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 10:51:37 PM »

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Getting ready
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 08:22:04 PM »
I loved those little smilies too.
You are all so clever getting them posted here.                    

Offline Cocker lover

• Site Member
Getting ready
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2004, 12:55:19 PM »
When we got our new puppy Georgie was fine!!!! :mrgreen:                    

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Getting ready
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 09:14:49 AM »
One more sleep Maria till little Baily comes home.  [/size]:D  I bet your realy excited.  :lol:

The counting down the hours has begun  :lol:                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Getting ready
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2004, 10:48:25 AM »
One more sleep Maria till little Baily comes home.  [/size]

Sleep!!!!!!!! I wont sleep tonight Barb!!!!!!   :lol:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx