Author Topic: Hello to COL, newbie cocker mummy, west midlands.  (Read 2010 times)

Offline rebeccabloor

Hello to COL, newbie cocker mummy, west midlands.
« on: August 12, 2008, 12:28:43 AM »
hello to all who reads me,
was told of this site by the breeder who's show cocker produced beautiful bentley, one of a litter of ten.
he has been with me, my husband and son george (4) for 6 days and is 9 weeks on weds (13th aug).
he has brought alot of joy to us as a family, in just 6 days......

not sure when hes going to need his first cut as his hair has grown quite rapidly since i first set eyes on him 3 weeks ago......i would like to show him and i know that can make a difference in how they are groomed......any comments??

i also am confused as to how similar the colours are between lemon and white and orange roan are,, as alot of pictures i have seen of orange roan look very close to my bentleys markings but he has been reg. as lemon and white..........(breeder said the pink in his paw pads determine this)?

i am going to try and post a picture underneath using photobucket.....hope it works!! 

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z178/beckss77/bentley6weeks001.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z178/beckss77/bentley6weeks007.jpg

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
Re: Hello to COL, newbie cocker mummy, west midlands.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 04:23:35 AM »
 :luv: Awww he's adorable :)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 06:08:59 AM »
Awww beautiful boy  :luv: :luv: :luv:
Love his name too, look forward to seeing pics as he grows up
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 06:12:12 AM »
hes beautiful, i havent seen many lemon roans, you will have to keep us all updated with pics of him as he grows to see his colour and markings, welcome to COL by the way  :blink:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline bubbles

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 08:00:08 AM »
what a scrummy little bundle  :luv:
welcome to COL

my special little boy

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 08:00:25 AM »
awwww he's beautiful  :luv: :luv: :luv: :luv:  welcome!

His markings will darken over the next few weeks - look forward to seeing how he develops. 

In his pics he looks like he smells delicious (I think I need a puppy, I'm obsessed with puppy smell!) :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 08:22:18 AM »
Welcome to COL. Bentley looks lovely  :luv:

Millie

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 08:24:45 AM »
Bentley is  :luv: :luv:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 08:28:15 AM »
Welcome!!

The colouring is very confusing, isn't it!!

From what I can gather Orange was generally used in show lines, while lemon was used in working lines, for very similar colours (the show lines were generally a darker, richer colour), but it does seem to have blurred at the edges now - our pup, Honey, is 3/4 working line, but registered as Orange Roan, as her markings are darker than her litter mate, who was registered as Lemon Roan.

The pink on the pads decides whether the colouration is xxx Roan or xxx and White.  I can't see pink on the pads on the photos you posted?? Are there still pink patches there?  If so, then he will be "and white", if the pads are a solid colour he is a "roan".  

Whatever his official colour is, he is gorgeous!!!  :luv:  As Livercake says, his colouring will darken over the next fe weeks and if she is Roan this will become more pronounced!  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 08:32:30 AM »
Welcome to COL  :D

Bentley looks  :luv: He looks like a Lemon & White.
Are both Bentleys parents Show type ?

Offline bernie

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 08:44:29 AM »
Hi, Bentley is gorgeous   :luv:

We have just picked up our 8 week old orange roan pup called Ted.  He looks quite similar to Bentley but his body is more creamy coloured. ( pics in puppy photos )

welcome to COL  :D
Love Bernie, Ruby and Ted x

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 10:19:32 AM »
not sure when hes going to need his first cut as his hair has grown quite rapidly since i first set eyes on him 3 weeks ago......i would like to show him and i know that can make a difference in how they are groomed......any comments??

Welcome to COL :D You'll find lots of advice about trimming & grooming on the Grooming board. If you're interested in showing, your pup will need to be hand stripped (never clipped) which is usually something  that can't be done until your pup is older and his puppy fluff is ready to come out. However you can take him for a first tidy-up at around 4 months (just for feet & ears etc to be trimmed) but will need to find a groomer who understands how show Cockers are presented (or you can learn to do this yourself :D). Perhaps your breeder can help, if they show their own dogs?

Jane

Offline rebeccabloor

thank you for your compliments!!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 04:29:48 PM »
it was nice to read all your compliments and advice.

ive taken a picture for you KARMA as bentleys paws are mainly black but have a small area of pink in the large pad, more prominant in his front paws less so in his back. there isn't any on his 'toes'.

also posting a picture of his mum and sister (mum on the right) sister is now 3 yrs old.

his mother family tree does have strong sh champions lines but not so many in his dads side although i've seen pictures of his dad and he's a beautiful blue roan and very show cocker looking.

i will have to hold back on the grooming then till he's ready for stripping, i'm actually a hairdresser so it might be worth my while learning to do him myself and have already shopped around for a short course, Groomers in shropshire looks a very good one to go on so will start saving........lol.

heres the pics......

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z178/beckss77/bentley9weeks056.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z178/beckss77/bentley6weeks010.jpg

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2008, 09:22:52 PM »
Hi and welcome - We are probably not that far from you, I'm in North Worcestershire and owned by Jasper, Louie and Heidi.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie