Author Topic: Hi owner of 2 cockers and english setter here  (Read 6222 times)

Offline sueinthedoghouse

• Hello my name is Amber
Re: Hi owner of 2 cockers and english setter here
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 02:23:47 PM »
not sure where wiggy park is ? tend to only my 3 off on wide open spaces as Jasper (my setter ) loves to meet n greet !! If its a "park" does it mean picnic tables and play areas ? I would be more than happy to fetch you in car , but of course understand that as we have never met that may not be something you would be happy doing the first time sounds like Milly Molly Mandy is just as bonkers and lovely as my cockers and setter and think a mad walk with them all would be great.
If wiggy park is open and plenty of wide safe places for off lead that would be fine , do know Hopwas Woods although have never been have you ?

Offline theduces

• "Sammy & Woody" Best buddies.....
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »
Hi Sue how are things in the world of cocker's & English Setters?  Haven't had much time (not to mention a big hit with a computer virus knocking out my computer big time.....  lost everything but luckily I had photos etc backed up) due to our wonderful cocker puppy Woody - more on him later.

Sorry to hear about Jaspers problem with his dislocated leg... we had the exact same problem with our first ES Chester who dislocated his hip when he was about 2 years old, he was just running in a field when it dislocated, like you numerous operations to put the joint back in but as soon as bandages came off out it would pop again, in the end the vet ended up sawing off the top of the leg bone which sounds horrendous but alas after a few months recovering the muscles built up to hold the leg in place and like Jasper he was back to running & lived a great life to 12 years of age and that was the start of our long love affair with all things setters. 

So what about cocker's....... well everything I have read on this forum is true and we are so pleased we chose to have a cocker share our lives Woody is a fantastic little fella,  here is a picture of him with Sammy our gorden setter

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w343/theduces/Summer2008022.jpg

he looks so much like a gordie puppy we keep expecting his legs to get longer!  He is so loving and wants attention all the time either from us or Sammy (who loved to sleep until about 11am each day but now... no chance!)  The only thing I'm a little unsure about is his feeding I am giving him Eukanuba puppy & junior as instructed but woody seems to be a little big he is now 17 weeks old and weighs around 9.5 kg is this ok?  It may be that we are so used to Gordie pups who are so tall, thin & gangly at that age making Woody seem a little fat to us.  Well talking of food he has now come in to tell me its dinner time and that's another thing what a loud voice for such a little dog!!!!

Hope you had luck finding someone to share your walks,  sorry I'm not nearer although with Jasper looking so like my loverly Monty may have taken him home with me....   regards,  June

Offline sueinthedoghouse

• Hello my name is Amber
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 12:00:10 PM »
Hi June
well think it would be case of me taking your dogs back home !! they are so lovely and the picture is heaven they look so good together !!
 not sure about the food thing can't remember what Jasper had as puppy and he is only 3 now ! think had major rethink when  he dislocated his leg - as said was only 12months old when he did the exact same thing you described on fields he wasn't even running just slipped and went over to sound of loud crack !!
we did have to adjust his food intake as he was housebound for  12 weeks - it was nightmare but he came through it and like you said now would never know he had done so much damage - we do go pale when he slips in the wet and that is when he sometimes holds his leg for second or two - but as for running goes like the wind !
He does have 3 small meals a day now he suffers with pancreatic problems and found it best to split his normal rations into 3 times a day just makes his tum seem to settle - he can't seem to leave long gaps i e all through the night without a little bowl of his food before bed , he sleeps better and doe not wake up till 6 30 - and that is because Amber our rescue is ready for breakfast and walk then !! why do we do it ?
will try put some more pics up not good with all things laptop so may b when daughter comes over !! Sue

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 06:21:04 PM »

Welcome........what lovely dogs, wish we lived near you Bramble & Beri love meeting new dogs  :luv: :luv: York is a bit too far away  :luv:
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline sueinthedoghouse

• Hello my name is Amber
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 08:11:01 AM »
Good morning
thanks for reply so love York one daughter went to uni there - always felt such happy place and people .
your dogs look so sweet and calm - what is your secret ? !!
we are flood bound at the mo live in village and all roads out under water AGAIN - sure if a woman was in charge of flood watch we would have sand bags at the ready etc !!
sun is out at last so hoping can get out and about later today , which had tank - or maybe a boat ? hope you are dry and warm . Woofs and licks to your hairy hounds from my dirty wet mutts !! X whom i adore just so you know !

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 08:27:55 AM »
Good morning
thanks for reply so love York one daughter went to uni there - always felt such happy place and people .
your dogs look so sweet and calm - what is your secret ? !!

:rofl1: :rofl1: they are little monsters some times.....but in a nice way.  They are sweet well loved little boys with fantastic natures. Very affectionate and just seem to be naturally well behaved, we have been very lucky. They have such a lot of energy though.

York is lovely you don't always appreciate somewhere when you live there  :luv:

Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »
Hi-welcome to COL. I am sure you, will enjoy the forum.
I have Oliver,an English setter and Smudge a blue roan cocker. At one time we had two cockers and one setter and still have a picture on the wall of them,we are now on our 2nd English Setter ( shows how mad we are) and our 4th cocker. they are brilliant dogs  :luv:and go well together....Liz   

Offline sueinthedoghouse

• Hello my name is Amber
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
Hi
thanks for welcome !
Jasper English Setter , Beth & Amber cockers just back from very good walk , Jasper had selective deafness and had great time bounding round all over the place meeting and greeting !
One silly man told me to "only call him once and if he does not respond point him to go the other way " well thats all well and good if he is actually bothered if am on the walk with him or not - plus he would have to be near me to see me point and never had setter that would go the other way if was having such a great time - needless to say HIS dogs wanted to walk with us and would not go back to him - so what did he do shouted SEVERAL times ! am still laughing it so did not work for him either !!
always someone think they know everything about dogs - am still learning and they are all individual - just like kids (& men !) don't you find ?
do love them all they always please to see you and never question whether you are laughing or sad
best go this turning into a book !! happy dog days Sue .

Offline Smudgesmum

• Site Member
  • mum to Oliver,9 and Smudge,4
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 10:34:45 AM »

A picture of Oliver for a change. Where did your Orange beltons come from as a matter of interest? Oliver came from Fran Grimsdell in Norfolk. Have had to laugh reading the posts about the nature of English setters as they are so similar to our experiences. IMO Cockers are a lot easier but they are both such beautiful breeds

Offline sueinthedoghouse

• Hello my name is Amber
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 01:01:23 PM »
Oh my goodness like looking at my Jasper !!! He came from a Chris Hartell in Derby . she does not have that many that often so we were lucky to have him
our other setter was originally my in laws she died in feb this year aged 15 years and 1 month and was a Blue Belton

Offline sueinthedoghouse

• Hello my name is Amber
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 01:05:24 PM »
P S will try to send picture of Jasper - will prob have to wait till my daughter gets home as am not good at things techno !! :005:

Offline theduces

• "Sammy & Woody" Best buddies.....
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 10:43:39 AM »
Oh my goodness like looking at my Jasper !!! He came from a Chris Hartell in Derby . she does not have that many that often so we were lucky to have him
our other setter was originally my in laws she died in feb this year aged 15 years and 1 month and was a Blue Belton

cripes all the orange setters look so alike they could be brothers :luv:  Monty our Orange came from Upperwood Kennels in Derbyshire, our previous tri Oliver was a Engsett from Blyth & our first Chester was a blue belton also an Upperwood....  as for our cocker he's an Xandamai from Woodall spa.  I feel one cocker will not be enough or maybe even another setter then I would have a Gordie, an English and a cocker...  what fun that would be  :005: :005: :005:  I still can't believe how so alike they all are in nature & characteristics