Author Topic: *sigh* 6:30 again & I know you've heard it all before, b  (Read 4937 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
*sigh* 6:30 again & I know you've heard it all before, b
« on: May 24, 2004, 05:04:57 PM »
we can't think of anything else to try.
06:30 every morning is the time that Jenni starts going ballistic in her crate downstairs - scratching at the crate door, howling and crying.

We have tried moving her crate and shutting all the doors between us and her - we can't get it further away (relatively) from where we sleep, and she still sounds like some kind of coal train rattling and howling.
We have tried putting her to bed later after a good play - it doesn't matter, put her to bed at 2am and she's still up at 06:30.
We have tried covering her crate so that it she doesn't get as much light as early, hopefully tricking her into thinking it's still dark - this has worked for 2 nights so far - I think she got wise to it this morning as even covered she was howling and rattling.

When we go to to let them out (in the morning or otherwise), we always make sure that they are silent before entering the room, and are trying to enforce them to 'quietly' sit before actually opening the doors.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't something that has 'just' started happened, she's been doing it pretty much since we got her, but in the early days we kinda expected it because she was a real baby, needing to pee every 2 hours or so etc
However now we know she can hold through the night, especially if she definately has a pee before bedtime and no water after 10:30pm

Millie did start doing this, although she wasn't howling, she was pacing up and down the bedroom and scratching at our arms /bed to wake us - to stop this we put her in a crate, then she started to whine when we moved at around 5:30am and wouldn't stop crying so she started to sleep downstairs - problem solved - silence.

However Jenni is already downstairs, and already in a crate - we thought perhaps leaving her out of the crate would reduce the noise, but we know that a) she wouldn't hold her piddles/poops through the night, as she hasn't quite gotten the hang of toilet training completely yet and B) that she and Millie would just start fighting as soon as the sun was up, which would be just as noisy - potentially noisier! :lol:

Someone has suggested frightening her when she's doing it by banging on the top of the cage / or a pot/pan to get her to stop - obviously this sounds a bit mean to me, and would succeed in scaring Millie also anyway. It may also cause some kind of negative image of the crate, and she's very good at going into it whenever we say "boxes Jenni" she just goes and sits inside it, and will sleep in it if the door is open - unlike Millie, who, although she will go in it if told she won't voluntarily sleep in it.

Does anyone here have any other suggestions?                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 05:29:10 PM »
Hi Kelly,

It's nice to know that there is some other poor beggar being woken at 6.30 in the morning by a howling pup! Evie has done this since we brought her home, if she hears any movement upstairs, she howls screams, barks and generally causes a commotion ( she is crated overnight in the kitchen ) I'm sorry I dont know of a solution I wish I did, all I do is walk in the kitchen, ignore her and then let her out when she is sat quietly,much the same as you do with Jenni , so if anybody has ideas I'd love to hear them! :lol:

Lizzy Molly and Evie                    

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 05:35:27 PM »
Can't offer any advice I'm afraid Otis  8) is 2 now and is always up at 6.00am or thereabouts wanting to go out  :?                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 06:13:23 PM »
Hi Kelly

I can't offer any advise either really :?  But, maybe a reason for the early rising is the dawn choros, by our feathery friends :roll:  I don't know if this will work, but maybe a radio on low would help :?

Good luck anyway :wink:                    

Offline *-Nikki-*

• Site Member
    • www.nicibec-cockers.moonfruit.com
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 07:27:12 PM »
Heehee! Another person not getting much sleep! Its no fun I know! Our Chloe (who is nearly 6) wakes us all up at about 5.30 – 6.00 am every morning :evil: . After moving to the countryside about three years ago, we have had a group of cows in the field behind us every year :? . They tend not to come near the house during the day, however at about the time Chloe barks every morning, they are up and about walking towards us, and her being (the wanna be guard dog :lol:  ) that she is barks and howls at every chance! We don’t mind so much no as the cows have started eating our beech hedging – so now she just sort of warns us :D.  
We have tried everything…I have go to agree with Emma the radio might work. Don’t think our Chloe will ever get out of this routine :(  (as long as the cows are here anyway) There isn’t much hope – thought she would have leant by now!  
By the way…does anyone know of any tips, to keep the cows from eating the beech :?:                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 08:17:13 PM »
Oh no :( , I couldn't cope with being up at that hour every morning.  We did had it for weeks and weeks with Morgan (luckily I was on holiday) but once he was allowed to sleep outside the bedroom door (he's wormed his way into the bedroom now) he was just fine.  Morgan and Cooper both sleep in the bedroom and they don't wake till we wake them - lazy little beggars - and even then, once they've been outside to do whatever they have to do, they snooze for about 30 minutes until I take them for their morning walk.

I made a cover for the crate for the bright mornings so that the sun didn't wake him but I think by that time he was already in a pattern of howling at 5.30am so it didn't have much of an effect.  It may be worth a try though? :?  :wink:

Hope Jenni settles soon :wink:  :D .  Cooper still not quite got the toileting bit yet either  :oops:  :)                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 11:59:43 PM »
I began leaving Wilf out of the crate overnight as it was easier to deal with the piddle and the pooh and to be honest it wasn't long before he was housetrained anyway. I thought my 2 would be playfighting at the crack of dawn as well now that they were both out but it never happened thankfully (they were saving it up for when I wanted a quiet cup of tea while I woke up) LOL

If ever I have to let either of them out during the night I ignore them and just let them out without talking to them or giving them eye contact (not difficult as my eyes are too sleepy to open in the 1st place and I'm usually mute at that time in the morning anyway) which means they settles back to sleep straight away                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 10:36:03 AM »
Hi Kelly

Poor you!  I still consider 6:30am to be the middle of the night!

Like Penny said it was easier to leave the dog out of the crate and deal with any mess than being woken up by the howling and whining.  It won't be long before she's completly dry at night anyway and then if you're happy to move them to the landing you'll probably find that they'll be quiet until you get up.

Loraine                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 12:21:14 PM »
6:30 am - what's your problem?  It's halfway through the day & when the sun's shining it's the best part of the day!   :lol:

Bess usually needs to go pee pee between 3 & 4 am, & at this time of year when the birds are singing their little hearts out at 4 am, there's not much chance of getting back to sleep.

On Sunday at 4:10 am, (Bess was fast asleep) Dillon stood up on my bed & let out the most horrible blood curdling howl, he then started sort of howly barking for a few minutes.  I've no idea what his problem was, but with a big cuddle from me he settled down again (which is more than can be said for me!)  :(

Seriously though, it sounds as if someone is waking your little one up at that time, so does a neighbour go out to work at that time, does a timer device in your house start up then, it sounds like something like that to me if it's always the same time.  I fyou can find out what's waking her, you're halfway to solving the problem.

Good luck                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 03:07:46 PM »
Like someone else just suggested, could it be something waking her?

Our central heating used to click on at 6am, and wake Indie up, we changed it till 9, and sometimes he even sleeps in.

We had a horrible time with him waking for a while, I hope you get some sleep soon.

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Tammy

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 03:42:02 PM »
We have an 11month old and are new to owning a cocker, he has us up at 5.30ish everyday, we have tried ignoring him but as he sleeps in our room he jumps on our bed and licks us until we get up. Once he's gets us up and he's had his breakfast and been out he sleeps for ages!!!! We thought it might just be our dog and have ordered a black out blind for the bedroom, but from reading this thread I might not bother with the blind!!!!!!                    

Tammy, Dave & our lovely little fella, Bosley

Offline Gaynor

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 08:55:14 PM »
Hi

We have the same sort of problem , Amber sleeps in our room ( i REALLY wish we'd put her in the kitchen !) , and EVERY morning she wakes us up at just after 4am , just as its light , as we take her to the farm by us every morning , and she get SO VERY excited ........ how can i stop this ?? , she might not need ner beauty sleep BUT I DO !!!

Thanks

Love Gayn XXXXXXXx                    
HAVE A LOOK IN MY ALBUM FOR A RECENT PICCIE OF AMBER !!

Offline Maria

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 09:33:06 PM »
Tammy, the black out blind might help. We have one, and Boysie wakes up at the same time every day (6.30), but that's the time we get up during the week. Occasionally he lets us lie in at weekends (up to 8am), and is only really disturbed by a loud dawn chorus , not feeling well, or a really desperate need for a pee. I wouldn't cancel your order if I were you!                    

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 09:47:21 PM »
We're out on our early morning walk at 6:30 so to me and mine it is a perfectly normal getting up time.  Sometimes if I over sleep hearing Douglas' sigh outside the bedroom door springs me into getting up.                    
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands

Offline Nat

• Site Member
    • http://www.crazycockers.homestead.com
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 08:50:39 AM »
It must be a "doggy" thing, as mine are awake at 4.50am every morning .. even w/ends we are up at the latest 6.30 / 6.45 am .. Ive tried everything too, staying up late but they still wake up at the same time every morning ... i've given up now and just get up to let them out, and then they stay downstairs until we get up at 6am..                    
Nat

Simbarra Cocker Spaniels
www.crazycockers.homestead.com