Author Topic: *sigh* 6:30 again & I know you've heard it all before, b  (Read 4936 times)

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
    • http://www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
*sigh* 6:30 again & I know you've heard it all before, b
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 05:03:54 PM »
Hi all

thanks for your replies.
We have now tired double covering the crate and making sure that there's no little 'cracks' where the light could peep through - this has extended our time to about 6:50 instead of 6:30 ... :roll:

I'm not sure / aware of anything that has a timer or would come on that early, there are a couple of clocks downstairs, but none of them have any alarms set on them so I don't think it's them.
I guess it could be a neighbour, they tend to park cars along the side of our fence, which is parallel to where the dogs sleep - but perhaps someone is going out to work and a car door shutting is waking her ?
She did actually stay quiet when we were camping last week until about 7:15 / 7:30; but she was actaully in the crate in the tent with us - so perhaps that was more to do with actually being closer to us? or her being out of 'noisy neighbour range' :lol:

I had thought about leaving her out of the crate - my concern was mainly the fighting, but also that by giving her free run, to potentially piddle/poop on the floor might some how reverse the toilet training she has (which is about 85% at the mo, and that's being generous! ;) )
Obviously though this didn't seem to affect the toilet training of your dogs???
perhaps this is an idea to try out if our double wrapping continues to fail :lol:                    
Kelly, Tristian, Millie & Jenni (double woof!)

www.millies-website.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Offline PennyB

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 05:21:04 PM »
I assume with the wrapping of the crate there's enough air getting in—they need a free flow of air through                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2004, 12:16:07 PM »
Brogan used to get up at that time - I would go downstairs and let him outside with no eye contact, no fuss and no hellos.  He would get a very quiet and calm well done for piddling and was then put straight back in the crate.  Think he soon decided that I was too boring at that time of day to bother with - sleeps in now until the kids get up.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2004, 12:30:13 PM »
Penny -  I'm not likely to be trying to suffocate her am I? :?
The crate is draped in 2 blankets, both just big enough to cover it on 3 sides and the top, yet they hang at least an inch, maybe a little more from the floor, and then start with little tassley things -  allowing air to circulate through. The final side is against the wall and doesn't get covered.
I am presuming that this is sufficient airflow - perhaps I am wrong?

:?:  :?:  :?:                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2004, 12:40:00 PM »
Pretty much the same covering as Brogan. We use a picnic blanket. Hangs to the floor on the door side to stop draughts.  The back is completely uncovered and a gap round the edges - works great for us as well.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2004, 06:32:59 PM »
hello
we cover our crate about 2 thirds on the top and sides but we leave the door and the other third of the top and sides free....we never hear both of ours..crated together...until we get up...but they are 9 months now! When they were little Jessie used to wake quite early for a widdle but we would let her out and put her straight back in afterwards, no fuss etc etc and she would maybe sleep another 40 mins. I think when they get to 6 months or so they learn to wait for you to come down...cos then they get FOOD !!!  :lol:
Cheers Janey x                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2004, 11:35:41 PM »
Penny -  I'm not likely to be trying to suffocate her am I? :?
The crate is draped in 2 blankets, both just big enough to cover it on 3 sides and the top, yet they hang at least an inch, maybe a little more from the floor, and then start with little tassley things -  allowing air to circulate through. The final side is against the wall and doesn't get covered.
I am presuming that this is sufficient airflow - perhaps I am wrong?

:?:  :?:  :?:

Hi Kelly

That's exactly the same way as we covered Morgan's crate  :D  You can actually buy specially made crate covers like this but I didn't bother, just made my own!  much cheaper!!  :D
Is Jenni sleeping any better now??                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline KellyP

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2004, 08:22:29 PM »
Hi Shirley,

well for the last 3 nights we have left them loose in the kitchen and have been able to sleep until 8:30 un-disturbed ... it has been bliss!! :) :) :)

The only downside of course is the little presents and puddles left by our little lady ...
We are a tad concerned on the negative effects this might be having on her toilet training  :?  :?

Tonight we're going to trying crating them together instead of seperately. Jenni is perfectly capable of holding on until 7:30, which is when we get up, because she did it when we went camping and she barely made a sound - and they were crated together when we were camping.

fingers crossed, and we'll keep you posted ;)                    

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2004, 09:17:35 PM »
Glad things are moving on Kelly.  Don't know if it's just me or is everyone like this but the first morning that I woke before Morgan I was running down to check he was still breathing  :oops:   :lol: You can't win!

Crating them together might be a good idea.  Cooper is so much better at toileting than Morgan was by this time.  He sleeps in the bedroom and never has any accidents at night.  The main time we have accidents is when he's just been out for a walk - I think he onlywants to do it in the garden and if he doesn't get a wander round the garden at the end of a walk he'll come in and pee on the bathroom floor, always the bathroom - at least he knows which room to go to  :roll:  :lol:

Let us know how Jenni's getting on  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys