Author Topic: Never off-lead U/D on long line  (Read 6168 times)

Offline Oliver21508

Never off-lead U/D on long line
« on: September 20, 2008, 09:57:49 PM »
Hiya

I don't think I could ever let Ollie off the lead. Nowhere is really safe enough, and I don't think I'd have the nerves. Is it ok for a dog to never go off-lead (just extendable lead) or does this affect their life?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Never off-lead
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »
I think it would affect them and more than that it would be a real shame because they and you would be missing out on so much. There are some dogs who can't go off lead unless in very contained areas but that is usually for their own or other animals' safety due to serious behavioural/training issues. I would hate to never see my lot running free, they're very seldom on lead. Apart from anything else I'd need to route march them about 10 miles on the lead every day to give them enough exercise to tire them out.

What is it you're worried about? Are there really no parks/beaches/woods/common areas near where you live where people let their dogs run off lead?
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 10:09:25 PM »
I'm worried he'll run off and get onto a road etc etc. In our park, there are open exits to roads. In the country park, it's a bit safer, but still access to a car park and lake. He usually listens but if he sees other dogs or people, he'll completely run off to see them and then we may get in trouble if he jumps up at a child etc.

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 10:12:14 PM »
I'm with Nicola. You cant let your apprehension/fears affect your dogs quality of life. Of course its worrying but if you put in the work with training them and walk in relatively safe areas then you have a very small chance of an accident. I would absolutely hate it if I coudnt let my dogs offlead, its what they live for.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 10:26:26 PM »
Spaniels NEED to run.

The sooner you start letting him off the better to be honest. Dogs that have never been free until they are older can be extremely difficult to retrain. If you're worried about tackling this on your own, find a good trainer and ask for advice and help doing this safely now particularly if he's not a young pup and has never been off the lead. Invest in a long line to start training him to stay within a certain distance of you too.

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 10:31:27 PM »
He's 4 months. Is that young enough for him to stay close? He's going to the country park tomorrow. I think that's safer and if I go early enough in the morning, there won't be any children. He's fine with dogs (and children) but some parents can be a bit iffy, and so many children are scared of dogs these days too. The number of children I've met on walks that are terrifed of Ollie (even though he's on a lead). Even had some kids sobbing at the sight of him.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 10:42:26 PM »
As Hannah says the earlier you do it the better. He's 4 months old now which is good as you should still be able to outrun him if he were to run off (although at that age it's unlikely that he'd go very far but that will change the older he gets) AND he hasn't yet reached the teenage selective hearing stage. Honestly, if you leave it much longer you're only going to make it more difficult because he's going to get faster and braver and it's going to be much more of a novelty for him.

You need to pick a quiet time of day to start off with - get up early and head out first thing so you won't need to worry about lots of people and cars being around in the car park - and arm yourself with things that make you more interesting than whatever else is going on, whatever really gets him going be that a tennis ball, his favourite tuggy toy or some roast chicken and when you let him off work hard at keeping his attention on you. Call him, play games with him, run around clapping your hands etc. make it fun for him to be near you. As for him jumping up on people, it's normal for pups to be interested in people and other dogs and he might well jump up on a few folk, all the dogs I've ever had from puppyhood have done at some point or another, but people are generally fairly understanding about young puppies being trained. The onus is on you to be more interesting than the other people though.

Are you practising recall with him at home and/or at training classes? If you have been then he should be getting the hang of it by now. Please do let him off lead, it's really not fair on him to make him stay constrained for the rest of his life because you're afraid he might run off - training training training!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 10:48:04 PM »
Thanks. I'll try that tomorrow. I can call him in from the garden (if he's in the mood) (if he's in a funny mood, he'll just be cheeky and run circels round you). I practise calling him a short distance out on walks on the lead, which are very good. In the park, on the extendable lead, he runs after me (when I run :)) and sitting down attracts his attention too, for a strange reason.

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 10:51:59 PM »
Just another thought, if you feel happier, if you've driven to the park, have someone stay at the car, just as back up, I doubt very much if you'd need it but it may make you relax more. Agree with the others, best do it now, it's nerve racking, but it's got to be done, just make it as safe as you can, and make you the most interesting thing on earth. Good luck.

Willow and Katie

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 11:00:06 PM »
Spaniels NEED to run.

They most certainly do

Best thing is to may be have someone with you who can give you confidence, may be with another dog at 1st. I sometimes help peopel with their dogs on the park re this. I was just as scared and on Ruby's (age 12 weeks) 1st day on lead down on the park one of the guide dog puppy walkers came up to me and gave me some good advice and confidence and she's been offlead ever since.

Play chase games --- you run away from pup and they try to catch up with you. You also have to be loud and exciting and don't go in one direction only weave around. Or Get someone to take him a distance away from you then get him to run back to you while you jump up and down and shout lots of encouragement then give him lots of praise and yummy treats. Change the way you do it every so often so he doesn't know what to expect.

Play games with him as well while you're out as it keeps him focused on you.

One thing though is never be angry with him no matter how mad you feel plus if you chase them then they will just run faster as if its a game.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 11:03:39 PM »
Jacks only on lead a few mins a day. Hes been off since his first walk and always stayed close. he actually heels better off lead than on. He also comes and sits with me if i stand still or sit down to see if he gets as cuddle or treat. Its the best thing in the world watching them run around having fun, just make sure your the most exciting thing there.

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 11:11:20 PM »
alot of the people i see who have problems only call there dogs back to put them on lead. Call him back every so often just for a treat or a cuddle then let him run on. Also i sometimes call Jack back and put his lead on during a walk for a few mins then let him back off so he doesnt associate the lead with going back home. Hide and seek is fun and with Jack that and taking off running from him made him pay alot of attention to what i was doing and not go out of my sight. good luck i promise its worth it  :-*

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 11:19:34 PM »
alot of the people i see who have problems only call there dogs back to put them on lead.

Good point
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline gashley

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 07:34:48 AM »
Some times when ours use their selected hearing I start to run in the opposite direction and call them they realise the voice is moving and run after us. I also make sure they know I have some interesting treats with me so they know if I come back I will get a treat  ;)
Gail, Ian, & 4 boys, Jakey and Scooby !!

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 08:47:06 AM »
Practice recall in your house / garden any opportunity to call him back to you use it. Offer lots of praise or treats when he comes back. Always make sure he follows a command especially recall because you will need it at some point when you are out and you'll feel much more settled knowing he's pretty reliable at it. If he don't come on first attempt don't give in as you are only showing him its ok to ignore you which obviously won't help when you are out. If he feels secure with you he'll trust you which again will help when he's out.
Find a large open space without many distractions. Let him off and call him to you say every couple of minutes and give praise. If you see another dog call him to you before he see's it and pop him on his lead after giving praise just so you can manage any situations, with a firm basis you'll get to know what he does and later you'll be able to decide if it's on or off the lead when you see other dogs / people. Sometimes in the early stages when you are apprehensive go for walks with the whole family so there are more eyes on him, but try not to chase if he ignores you as he may make that into a game which can be tiresome just continue to alter voice slightly so that you become more exciting that what he's seen and he should come back. Always praise for a return though no matter how long it took because scolding will put him off coming back in the future and perseverance should quicken him up eventually.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.