Author Topic: Never off-lead U/D on long line  (Read 6223 times)

Offline Cocos mummy

Re: Never off-lead
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2008, 07:49:40 PM »
just to add to this....my mum has a dog who is 13 and she was never aloud off the lead as puppy (as my parents bought her in malaysia while they were living there and it wasnt the done thing to take dogs off lead :huh:)....anyway she is very fearful/aggresive with other dogs now as understandably she was never able to form proper skills. she cant ever come off the lead as she'll either run off or attack other dogs....its really sad! :'(.she is such a sweetie at home though,great with the other dogs my parents have and kids!

Offline Claire83

• Site Member
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2008, 07:57:33 PM »
He does have a long line and an extendable lead, so I don't see what the difference is between that and off-lead (except safety). Isn't it safer that a dog is on a long lead and under control, than a dog off-lead?

Yes, it is much less risky to do this, but dog ownership is about managing risk, as it is never possible to avoid all together  ;)   A dog that is not used to being off lead is far more likely to bolt if they slip their collar for instance, than a dog that is trained to respond to commands on and off lead in a variety of situations  ;)

The longer you leave it before you take that lead off, the harder it will be (I know, I've been there) - and it is quite possible to hire an enclosed court, or a fenced paddock in order for you to gain the confidence you need and realise that you won't lose control of him, and he won't become a little dot disappearing on the horizon  ;)

Don't miss out on those few weeks where you are the centre of his world and he will do anything to be close to you and please you - puppies want to stay close to the things that make them feel safe; he trusts you, and won't run away from the only things that are familiar to him  ;)

I agree with Cob web here. At the moment he thinks you are his world, the longer you leave it the trickier it will be. I also agree with Kalami, yake some tasty treats and a favourite toy so that you can interact with him and gain his attention. This will also help with recall ;)
The cocker spaniel.........It will leave paw prints on your heart which will remain with you, Forever!
'Roxy' (Stellenbosch Demeter)14.06.07-01.10.19 - Forever loved & missed. xoxo
'Milo' (Laurellakes Viktor Rolf) 01.12.2020-

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2008, 08:00:09 PM »
Recommend a squeaky toy or something that they're dying to get hold off, we have had 'squeaky mouse' on every walk now for 1 year, she get's to fetch him out of the water and have a little play, it's hard to get him back off her, but he always goes back in my dog walking bag, til next time. 

Also, I know if she's heading somewhere I really didn't want her to go I just have to give her a little squeak of mousy and she looks at me and I reward her. I know, on the very few occasions I haven't squeaky with me I'm not happy, as I know this is my back up. Good luck.

Willow and Katie

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2008, 10:08:36 PM »
Thanks. I'm getting a squeaky toy and harness tomorrow, and I'll use the long line to trail on the ground, as i feel much happier with that on. I'll hopefully buy a whistle soon to help with recall.

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2008, 01:52:31 AM »
good luck with it, i'm sure you'll be fine. I was soo suprised i actually managed to get the courage to let marty off lead but i'm so glad i did, its sooo nice to see him running around and especially running between me and my sister, he just looks so pleased with himself for coming when i call him( he wants the hot dogs really...)

My piece of advice and it's been said before is if possible take another person with you, then maybe try having him come when called between the two of you ( makes for a fun game... twice the treats lol) also means if he does decide to run which im sure he wont! that you can easily get him. it seems like they can run fast but treats and games are much more interesting!
x

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »
Took Ollie to the local park today, wiht a harness, long line and squeaky toy. He was FAB!!!!!!! The line was on the ground, trailing behind him. When he stopped walking, had a sniff, saw a dog in distance, etc, I called him and he came running up to me. I gave him a treat everytime he came to me. He is more on the nervous side than confident. A whippet ran up to him quite fast so he was a bit frightened but once the dog had stopped to say hello, he was fine. Two westies came to say hello, and he hid behind me, but he's had a bad experience with a westie, so it's understandable, and one of the westies didn't help either, by barking at him, not aggressively, but more in frustation. The rest of the time, he was brillant. I only used the squeaky toy to get his attention but didn't really need to be used. Now, got to show my mum what he's like, as she doesn't trust him one bit.

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2008, 03:03:57 PM »
Well done you for plucking up the courage, here's to many more off lead romps.  :shades:

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2008, 03:57:15 PM »
Well done. In time your confidence will grow and grow, you may get the odd scare but generally you will look back and wonder why you were apprehensive about letting him go free. 

The whistle is a good idea too, start in the house, working up more and more distance. I always rewarded with something extra special for the whistle. Also, make sure when you do use the whistle that he's in a position not to fail, if you know what I mean, so he doesn't learn to ignore the whistle.  Keep up the good work, you will certainly enjoy him more off lead.  :D
Sarah & Willow

Willow and Katie

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »
Thanks. I feel much happier about him. I could probably trust him off-lead altogether now, but i'll probably wait a week. My mum's got to get used to him too, as she's the one that takes him to the park mostly.

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2008, 04:57:48 PM »
Thanks. I feel much happier about him. I could probably trust him off-lead altogether now, but i'll probably wait a week. My mum's got to get used to him too, as she's the one that takes him to the park mostly.

Well done!! You should be proud of yourself and Oliver, you for having the confidence to trust him and yourself and Oliver for doing so well on his recall  :luv: :luv: Don't wait another week though  :shades: you'd be better off carrying on as you just have, you will need to frequently repeat whatever you want Oliver to learn loads of times in order for it to sink in. He sounds so responsive at the moment and has done really well..... you may as well strike while the iron is hot  ;) :D

BTW - tis probably a good idea to hold a little bit of that trust back - it's good for our dogs to keep us on our toes and although most of the time I know what Hurley is going to do, sometimes he does surprise me!!!!
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2008, 05:01:58 PM »
He'll be on the long line everyday now (just trailing, so semi off-lead :)) In about a week, when I have practised the recall loads, we'll take the long line off altogether.

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2008, 05:03:16 PM »
He'll be on the long line everyday now (just trailing, so semi off-lead :)) In about a week, when I have practised the recall loads, we'll take the long line off altogether.

Good to hear it!  :D :D
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2008, 05:33:39 PM »
Have only just seen this thread and am so pleased Ollie is doing so well.

There is a cocker that lives down the road from me who, apparently, ran off when he was a puppy.  Now I don't know whether 'ran off' means he actually disappeared or he just didn't come back when they called him.  Anyway, he has never been off his lead since and he is 14 now.  Have to say I thought it was dreadful when I heard, I can't imagine how Ellie would be if she didn't run off lead for a day, never mind all the time, but he seems a happy little dog.  He does get lots of walks, still walks very sprightly,  he is not fat and to be honest if you didn't know he was 14 you would never think he was.

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2008, 08:41:30 AM »
Just wanted to give a little update. He went for a walk in the park on his long line yesterday, and he was fab as usual. I can really trust him now, until he finds something to play with!!! He found a lipbalm stick (which is what annoys me about littering) and he ran off with it. There was no way I would have been able to get him if he didn't have his long line on. I shortened the line until I could get him, and took it out of his mouth. (and threw it in the bin!!). If he didn't have his long line on, I don't know what I'd have done. He goes into a play mode, running away and thinking it's a game, doing playbows and that. As you get closer to him, he tries to eat it and swallow it, so at this stage, I'd like to keep the long line on. Is there any way that I could stop him from doing what he did, as in the future, he may do it whilst off-lead? Why do people have to litter?!?!?!!!!

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2008, 09:11:48 AM »
Just wanted to give a little update. He went for a walk in the park on his long line yesterday, and he was fab as usual. I can really trust him now, until he finds something to play with!!! He found a lipbalm stick (which is what annoys me about littering) and he ran off with it. There was no way I would have been able to get him if he didn't have his long line on. I shortened the line until I could get him, and took it out of his mouth. (and threw it in the bin!!). If he didn't have his long line on, I don't know what I'd have done. He goes into a play mode, running away and thinking it's a game, doing playbows and that. As you get closer to him, he tries to eat it and swallow it, so at this stage, I'd like to keep the long line on. Is there any way that I could stop him from doing what he did, as in the future, he may do it whilst off-lead? Why do people have to litter?!?!?!!!!

You need to work on a drop command. Practise with a toy first, by getting him to hold the toy, then show him a treat and say "drop" as he drops the toy. Slowly work up by giving him better toys and then treats until he wil reliably drop anything. :D
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).