Author Topic: Had to do what I had to do... U/D Better news  (Read 3884 times)

Offline Oliver21508

Had to do what I had to do... U/D Better news
« on: October 08, 2008, 07:29:17 PM »
Hiya

Ollie was out in the garden, when he was chewing the wood off our shed. I told him to leave, and he started barking at me and threatening to bite. This was dangerous IMO, and he shouldn't get away with it so I grabbed him, and held him by the scruff (on the ground) between my legs. (the same a mother would do to their pups). This seemed to calm him and show him that that behaviour is not acceptable. Did I do the right thing? Simply putting him into a room when he's in that state doesn't work, and I came away with a few bites (blood on surface) as it was. Does he need this sort of disiplince? If not, what else can I do? About once a day, he goes into a state where nothing but this sort of handling will calm him.

Offline ali

• Site Member
Re: Had to do what I had to do...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 07:33:35 PM »
i think you're gonna get a resounding 'no' on this site when asking if that kind of treatment is correct. scruffing pups has been discussed lots and no one can recall seeing a dog picked up by another dog in such a way. if i had handled barkley in such a way when he was being a crazy youngster i would have ended up with a hand shy dog that would almost definitely resort to biting anyone who came near him. he is bad enough on occasion and that is despite having never been roughly handled in any way.

my advice in such a situation would be to find a way to turn ollie's behaviour into a positive action- ask him to lie down or fetch something and then reward him hugely once he is no longer having a go at you and is doing something you ask instead. :)

others will come along with much better advice. :)
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 07:34:43 PM »
IMHO I think you could and should consider handling it differently. If he does this every day they you need to watch for the signs and prevent it happening in the first place. Puppies often get out of hand and do need bringing back in line. If the tactic has left you with teeth marks including bleeding then it's just making things worse by making it a confrontation.

Watch for the signs when it's going to go down hill and change the activity and put him somewhere quite so he doesn't get that hyper. You could also try a long line and when he goes near the shed pull it and give a very firm no - then distract him with something else. You could also try a water pistol. Don't let him see you with it though.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 07:38:20 PM »
I've only done this today, as I'm trying different things to stop this. He goes almost blind, so I don't think asking him to fetch or sit will distract him. It usually happens when I have to get him away from something. He does leave great when we are out, and drop when he's holding a toy, just in the garden, he tends to take the p***. He takes things and runs off into the garden with them, and there is no way to get it back, until he comes inside. And he wasn't picked up, he was sitting on the ground.

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 07:42:33 PM »
You need to act before he goes to bite/chew or run off. If he's running into the garden then close the door. Don't let him out with anything. Take him out with something and treats and you take control.

This is a very difficult time with puppies as they really start to find their feet and learn how to push the boundaries. But take control and make sure he knows you are in charge - and don't be afraid to do time outs. Walk away if you can't pick him up. Move things or guard things you don't want him to damage so you avoid as much as you can the situation in the first place.
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline ali

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 07:44:53 PM »
i do understand, barkley was VERY similar and it can be really draining.  >:( pammy's advice about only letting him out on a longline is really good- then he's always in your control but it's freer than being onlead. it's a pain but he will grow up and calm down with some consistent boundaries from you. i just don't think he'll let you get away with handling him in such a way too many times before he starts to react.
'my goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks i am'

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 07:47:57 PM »
I told him to leave, and he started barking at me and threatening to bite. This was dangerous IMO, and he shouldn't get away with it so I grabbed him, and held him by the scruff (on the ground) between my legs.

IMO You were the one who made that a dangerous situation, not him. ;) If he ignored the leave command then you obviously have more training to do. Sorry if that seems harsh. :-\
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 07:48:14 PM »
What can I do to show him I'm in charge? The back door is always open in nice weather, and my parents won't close it just for Ollie in case he goes in a state.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 08:09:23 PM »
I may be speaking out of turn here,  but I really think you are gonna have to sit down with parents and other family members and thrash this out, otherwise Ollie is going to end up one very confused dog. It is my belief that Pups, like children need boundaries and consistency, and altho everyone can give you advice and are more than happy to help you, I think you really need to get your mum and dad to agree to taking Ollie to training classes, (or are you attending one already) where you and he can learn together, and carry out that training at home and your parents can see the improvements - it is a shame when you are trying so hard to train Ollie that obstacles are being put in the way like this, have you got one person, aunt, uncle whatever who can see what you are trying to do, agree with it  and have a word with your parents?
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 08:10:31 PM »
I may be speaking out of turn here,  but I really think you are gonna have to sit down with parents and other family members and thrash this out, otherwise Ollie is going to end up one very confused dog. It is my belief that Pups, like children need boundaries and consistency, and altho everyone can give you advice and are more than happy to help you, I think you really need to get your mum and dad to agree to taking Ollie to training classes, (or are you attending one already) where you and he can learn together, and carry out that training at home and your parents can see the improvements - it is a shame when you are trying so hard to train Ollie that obstacles are being put in the way like this, have you got one person, aunt, uncle whatever who can see what you are trying to do, agree with it  and have a word with your parents?

I agree ^

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 08:30:29 PM »

I agree with the others about getting your family sorted as regards Ollie...you are never going to get anywhere with him if everybody is doing different things  :-\
As for the scuffing   ::) ...i don't know where you have got your information from but please don't follow it if it involves methods like that  ::)  if he has bitten you he was only protecting himself from what he saw as an attack from you  :-\ there are much nicer methods to get a puppy to stop doing something you don't want it to  ;)

All puppies have a hyper time...just like kids...where they have so much energy they don't know what to do with themselves...the best thing is to put him somewhere safe and get out the way until he calms down....i use to retreat to the kitchen  ;) ...there is no reasoning with them when they have * got one on them*  ;)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 09:10:03 PM »
I agree with the others and I know from a previous thread that you will not be going to any puppy training classes but from all the posts you've made about different types of behaviour i.e. jumping etc and really basic stuff I really think you need to consider this.   A good trainer will help you overcome all these issues which are really just puppy behaviour but need to be handled correctly. 

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 09:12:51 PM »
Thanks. Will do a sit down with everyone. See if that solves anything. Hope so. When we put him into another room, we pick him up, as it's the quickest and easiest way, but whlilst carrying him, he nips round to bite your hands round his stomach. Is there any way to stop this?

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »
Buy a house line so you don't have to pick him up, they cost about £2.00 in PAH.   :D

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 10:23:18 PM »
i think puppy classes were one of the best thing we ever did with bonnie and didnt really want them to finish it  helped a lot with her attitude to other dogs. the manic half hours will run themselves out in time try not to be too hard on the pup
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet