Author Topic: 11 week old growler and biter  (Read 813 times)

Offline cazzer

11 week old growler and biter
« on: November 12, 2008, 03:49:41 PM »
Hi I'm a new member to COL and we have an 11 week old golden cocker called Oscar, who most of the time is lovely, however he does tend to get a bit growley and will really try to have a go at any part of the body he can get his jaws around, turning away and ignoring him is impossible due to the vice like grip (which really hurts), so he tends to get picked up and put in his cage for time out.  Invariabley he will fall asleep, could it just be that he is overtired or have we got a problem.  Can anyone help please.

Offline PennyB

Re: 11 week old growler and biter
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 04:34:32 PM »
Welcome to COL.

If you look at numerous threads in this puppy section you'll find that most if not all puppies are like this whatever the breed --- it's very normal (and believe it or not necessary as in time it will help teach a pup bite inhibition) but from experience I do know how much it hurts. Try out all the things others suggest in these threads and in time you will get there.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=2016.0

If he's doing this at particular times of the day --- I had a staffy cross boy pup on foster and he would bite with a vengance in the early evening so I would remove myself out fo the room and watched from the kitchen out of harms way (I did this as the normal ways of teaching him would fial at this time as he was so hyper and not listening), or I woudl give him a toy or chew ot bite on instead. When he wasn't so hyper I would scream ouch/yelp very loudly if he bit me. Watch how pups (or even kittens) play and its no different other than the fact that our skin is thinner than thiers ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 04:54:01 PM »
Hi, and welcome.  As Penny says, you will find lots of info on here.  Oscar does sound like a normal pup.  They can be absolute little terrors.  >:D   :lol:  Photo's are a must  :lol2:

Willow and Katie

Offline t1gg3er

• Donator
  • Darby & Dexter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 04:59:10 PM »
Hi & Welcome,

We have Darby, now 13 weeks who we've had from 8 weeks & Dexter, now 16 weeks who we've had from 14 weeks.

Both pups learnt bite inhibition very quickly.  The whole family reacted to play bites in a way that made them think they were hurting, even if they weren't, by giving a sharp intake of breath or saying 'ouch'.  The theory is that they soon come to the conclusion that humans are soft, so they'd better be careful with us & if they're not, then the fun game comes to an abrupt end.

Worked well for us with both of them.  Good luck!
Vanessa, Rob, Boys & Doglets
x

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:41:09 PM »
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne