Author Topic: Horror dog!!  (Read 840 times)

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
Horror dog!!
« on: December 04, 2008, 04:51:46 PM »
In need of a rant .... little Darcey dog has caused me massive stress today!

We went for our usual afternoon walk, over the fields and back along the trail. We always practice lots of recall which has been a little variable of late. Good with no distractions, bad when distracted. She has also started that homing instinct thing and making a beeline for the car, but I can usually call her back and put her on her lead.

Well today she started to sprint towards the car from the other side of the fields. Every time I called her she stopped and looked at me then looked back at the car as if to say "duh mum I KNOW where i'm going - to the car!" and off she trotted. I squeaked her toy and leapt around wildly but she just stared at me as if I was mad "er why would I run back to you when i know we're just gonna walk to the car - which is where I'm going lady!" Well in the end she just totally ignored me and vanished into a dot on the horizon. The car was parked next to the field in a small car park which isn't busy but i could see lights of cars moving. I had to break into a run and there she was, sat next to the car door  :luv:  , scratching at the door as if to say "come on come on!!" >:D I know I should be thankful she just sat by the car and waited but I'm fairly sure if she'd seen someone walking across the car park she'd have forgotten me and gone to say hello  >:D

ANYWAY we got home and of course she was filthy, so usual ritual of a quick feet dunk in a bowl of warm water. She is getting more and more grumpy about doing things she doesn't fancy and she really didn't fancy a wash, muddy footprints ahoy all round my kitchen. Well I enticed her with sausage and in she went ... then kicked up a massive fuss and tipped the whole bowl of (dirty) water across the floor  ph34r.

Grrrrr. She has tried my patience this afternoon!! Just one of those days. She is now drying off considering herself eating a lovely kong in the comfort of her crate  :luv:

Offline skyesmum

• Limited Member
  • My 2 Girls!
Re: Horror dog!!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:54:58 PM »
Darcey!  Honestly!  Be a good girl for your mum and give her lots of cocker kisses (when you have dried off!)  :D
xxx  Gill, Skye-de-Pie and Puppy Ruaidh  xxx

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 06:18:54 PM »
Misha used to do this too - as soon as she knew that we were going back to the car, it would be nose to the ground and off she would go.  I even tried going back via a different route and she still knew where the car was.  In the end I started using a "wait" command that I usually use when we're going through doorways, for some reason it seems to work.  Used it quite frequently when going back to the car, whenever she would get 15-20 yards ahead I'd ask her to wait and give her a reward when she did.  Now she will wait for me to catch up to her, but it did take a few months before she would reliably wait for me.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 08:53:05 PM »
What a little tyke >:D, really puts your heart in your mouth doesn't it. Hope you calmed down and warmed up with a lovely cup of tea.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline lizzielewis

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 12:27:24 AM »
Hi

When Satchel is running too far ahead, we call him and then turn and start heading the other way.  Without fail, he comes running towards us and we pop his lead on.  That said, I lost Satch at the end of a walk recently - 40 minutes calling him (eventually in the dark - terrifying!!) I headed back to the car and he found his way back. I've never been so relieved!!!!  :-)