Author Topic: 2nd day questions  (Read 823 times)

Offline M4ndy

2nd day questions
« on: January 18, 2009, 12:38:05 PM »
So we picked up Jasmine yesterday and I think we're doing quite well but I just have a couple of queries.
Has anyone done what Dr.Dunbar suggests and only fed them kibble from chew toys. I have tried stuffing a kong but Jasmine seems to have no idea and I'm afraid she'll starve to death before she figures it out. :005: She also doesn't seem to have been hand fed and so doesn't look to us for food. If I put it in her bowl she runs straight over but if I hold my hand out she has no clue, I literally have to put it right under her nose. I have therefore been hand feeding her a lot so she gets the idea that I might be good for a treat, is this the right thing to do?
Also I should start grooming her soon but what sort of brush should I use?
Thanks for all your help!

Offline waggytails

• Millie and Hattie
Re: 2nd day questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 01:18:17 PM »
When we got Hattie we got her a Kong and she didn't do much with it either, it was only when she was a few months old, did she seem to understand that there was food in there. So we fed her in her bowls for a while and then when she was a little older we started to feed her in different things, one was a ball with a hole in it and one was a thing that looks like three ball moulded together with a hole in it. I'm no expert and i have not read the Dr Dunbar book, I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you a bit more. 
Mum to Hattie and Darcy

(Millie now forever playing on the beach,  RIP 06/03/2010)

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »
No I have never done this or heard of it.

My pups always had weetabix and milk for brekkie then 3 more kibble meals  :luv:

Good luck with Jasmine she is beautiful  :blink:

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 04:03:03 PM »
It took a little while for Brodie to figure out things as well :D She’ll catch on pretty quick with you hand feeding her treats, but I don’t know if it would be better for her to be a little older for the kong.  As long as she’s eating, I wouldn’t worry ;).
I think a soft brush would be good for getting her used to being brushed, not too sure though... Sure someone else will know.
She sounds lovely by the way :luv: :luv:
Jenny xx

x In memory of Barney x

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 04:46:21 PM »
We tried a pyramid with Baja when we first got him, sometimes he would bother with it but to be honest we stuck to feeding him out of a bowl and putting some food and treats out of his daily allowance into the pyramid for him now and again and when he was in day care.

Regarding the brush I got him used to being groomed with one of those brushes you can buy for a baby, was very soft and he seemed to enjoy it.

How has she been today?

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 04:49:36 PM »

Try loading the Kong with something really yummy and easy (some peices of cheese, maybe) just to get her used to the idea of food stuff coming out of the kong!  When we introduced a Kong to Honey we used the Kong paste, so she quickly associated it with very yummy things - now we put allsorts in...  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline M4ndy

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 08:53:20 PM »
Thanks everyone. Jasmine has been great and is settling in quite quickly I think. Only one pee on the paper in her playpen today and everything else outside :D
She's getting used to taking food from us but to be honest she just doesn't seem all that hungry. It could be just that she's still settling or it could be me over estimating how much she needs. :-\ The breeder said to feed a handful of kibble at each meal but there is quite a difference between a small handful or as much as you can hold! I think I'll weigh it out tomorrow to give me more of an idea.
I think I'll leave the Kong for a week or two until I know what she finds really tasty and then try again. She's only had kibble and rawhide chews up til now so I guess I have to go quite slowly introducing anything new.
It's so different from my Staffy pup who would do anything for any sort of food and would have destroyed the puppy Kong by now ::) Jasmine seems so sweet and delicate in comparison :luv:
We're off for our first vet check tomorrow so wish us luck :blink:

Offline hblower

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 09:23:11 PM »
I would be inclined to just let her eat from her bowls and settle and get used to things for now, remember puppies grow quickly and have lots of energy so will need to replace it with lots of small meals so i would not worry too much with getting her to eat from your hand. you may also as in previous puppies we have sold when this was used end up feeding by hand all the time as the dog wont then eat from a bowl.

she will soon learn while you are playing that you can have yummy treats.  put something easy and yummy in her Kong while playing and she should pick it up soon. 

with regards to brishing we had a soft little brush for orin but all he wanted to do ws eat it and play wiht it between his front pws so be prepared for lots of chewing.....

have fun with her shes lovely