Author Topic: Recurrent Shoulder Strain (Tilly) - UPDATED - going for x-rays  (Read 12040 times)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Re: Recurrent Shoulder Strain (Tilly) - UPDATED - going for x-rays
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2009, 03:25:43 PM »
All of the above from me too, thinking of you all.  :-*

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2009, 03:50:35 PM »
me too  :-*
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Han

• Darling Darcey
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2009, 03:51:56 PM »
Oh Nicola, sorry to read this news. Poor Tilly and poor you. I hope that you and the vets can find a way to manage her pain and problems and keep her as active as possible. What sort of surgery are they talking about? I know that there have been big advances in shoulder replacement surgery in hoomans, not sure if that would carry over to dogs at all...

Anyway. Good luck for the next 6 weeks and hope Tilly is over the GA etc soon  :luv:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2009, 04:13:21 PM »
So sorry to hear the news Nic. :'(  Poor Tilly......... and you must be gutted too.  Loads of good wishes and hugs from this wee corner of Aberdeenshire :-*
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2009, 05:49:22 PM »
Thanks everyone, it is a bit cr@p really but at least I know what it is now. She's a lot happier in herself today, she's over the GA and back on the painkillers so she's resumed her normal mental carry on every time she thinks she might be going out for a walk. I brought her out in the car this afternoon to see her aunty Jo so that's broken the day up for her a bit, I think I'm going to have to start 'driving Miss Tilly' and take her on outings in the car.

Ditto from me too!!

I hope the 6 weeks rest goes quickly.....does she have to be crate rested? or can she be small room rested? I fine small room to be much much easier on all of us......the crate seems to drive them and me demented wheras being shut in one room but with us lifting on and off sofas etc is much easier - I only crate then if I have to leave her unattended - to stop her jumping about like a loon!!

Good luck Nic xx

I can't really crate Tills, she absolutely hates them as her previous owner for some unfathomable reason used to leave her shut up in one for hours on end. We're trying to do 'one room rest' but she's on and off the furniture like a yoyo so it's difficult. She does settle when she's told to but even the most patient dog will go a bit nuts every now and then so I just have to keep watching for the signs so I can jump on her!

What sort of surgery are they talking about? I know that there have been big advances in shoulder replacement surgery in hoomans, not sure if that would carry over to dogs at all...

From what I could gather it's some sort of pinning operation but the vet didn't seem hugely keen on performing it on her as she hasn't actually broken the humerus and it could mean that she'd lose a lot of movement in the joint. I think we're going to try to manage it for the time being, obviously depending on what they say when we go back in 8 weeks time. If surgery is a no-go I think I'm going to go down the route of keeping her as lean but as muscled as possible (difficult at the moment when she's not allowed to walk though >:() and try alternative therapies such as acupuncture and McTimoney plus lots of swimming as she loves it and it's good for the joints. I just don't want her to be in constant pain or to have to give up retrieving because that is her absolute favourite thing in the world :-\

Maybe one day I'll have a dog with normal legs ::) Yet again though this has made me very glad for insurance, the bill for yesterday alone was nearly £1200 plus over £200 at our own vet last week for the consultations and x-rays and that's before we know if she's having surgery or not!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »
me too  :-*

..and me  :-*
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »
Hi Nic

Yes we do one room rest here...Jessie is OK with the crate for when we go out..but if we are in she is very upset so told the vet that its not happening.....we are finding it much harder now she is more mobile - easy to keep them in their bed when they're ill but when they think they're better its much harder...lol....

We are at almost £2000 now for Jessie but M&S have been great and paid back everything (minus the £70 excess). We're so pleased given that she is having another MRI Scan tomorrow - that'll be another £1000 there or thereabouts...

Janey

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2009, 06:29:25 PM »
I am so sorry to hear that its a bit more 'complicated' than anticipated, sorry for being thick but is it that her shoulder joint is too shallow?? If so building up her muscle like you said via swimming would help a lot, do they do joint replacements in animals????
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »

So sorry you and Tilly are having to go through this... Hope you both survive the next few weeks and that between you you find a balance of activity that suits Tilly, but takes the strain off her shoulder....  :luv:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Heatherb88uk

« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »
Can't add anymore to what's already been said, except you are a very caring owner and you will do your best for Tilly the same as you have done for your other dog, am sure you will find the strength and tenacity to endure the 8 weeks and hopefully your patience will be rewarded with a good outcome.  Sending all the luck and love possible to you all, and a big Gold Star for yourself for care above normal love Heather xxx  :luv:

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #145 on: June 09, 2009, 08:38:09 PM »
Ohh Nic, so sorry to read this, sending you and the gorgeous Tills lots of gentle hugs :-*

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »
So sorry to hear the news Nic. :'(  Poor Tilly......... and you must be gutted too.  Loads of good wishes and hugs from this wee corner of Aberdeenshire :-*

And from this corner of Aberdeenshire too Nic, so sorry to hear about Tilly  :-* to you both.

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.