Author Topic: Hi from Edinburgh  (Read 7257 times)

QuietScribe

Re: Hi from Edinburgh
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2009, 06:16:20 PM »
Thanks =^.^=  yes, its my art.  Havn't done anything since xmas worth putting up though.  Have been trying to get the flat sorted out for new canine family member in the mean time while my creativity is on holiday hehe

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2009, 09:38:05 PM »
I read what you are saying you need from a dog ... but can I ask what you are offering a dog?  What sort of training are you willing to do with the dog etc and why would a dog have a better life with you than anyone else?  Have you thought about about 6am walks in the rain/hail/snow etc?  This is a partnership you are entering into it ... has to be good for the dog as well as you. 

Sorry if that sounds harsh ....... but it's honest.;)
Spaniels In Need

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2009, 10:11:48 PM »
It sounds to me that QuietScribe is putting a lot of thought into finding the right dog for him. And he doesn't have to think about 6am walks in the rain/hail/snow etc...Chloe has never seen 6am (apart from a quick pee in the garden) in her life!

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

QuietScribe

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009, 10:52:51 PM »
I read what you are saying you need from a dog ... but can I ask what you are offering a dog?  What sort of training are you willing to do with the dog etc and why would a dog have a better life with you than anyone else?  Have you thought about about 6am walks in the rain/hail/snow etc?  This is a partnership you are entering into it ... has to be good for the dog as well as you. 

I am very well aware, having had pets throughout my life, of the responsibilities, training and commitment required in having a dog, the pitfalls, costs (financial, situational and emotional), problems, and all the other issues surrounding pet ownership. 

As to what I can offer a dog, I can offer a quiet, stable home, I can offer love, and time and effort to giving it a good life. I can offer it proper vet care, walks, and decient food.  I make no claims, and have made no claims as to being able to offer a better home than someone else would.  There are aspects to my life that is not wonderful for some dogs, and there are aspects that are better than average.  It is down to finding the right dog whose life would fit with the one I am offering.  An overly energetic, loud, dominant dog would likely not find that much happiness in my house, however one that would find pleasure in a laid back lifestyle would likely find life with me happier than in a very energetic household.  When I say I am looking for a dog of a certain temperment and type, it is in the understanding of a dog's needs, and the understanding that a dog whose lifestyle and type does not fit with my own will likely not be happy, nor will I be. 

In conclusion, I would say that it is ultimately the decision of the various rescue organisations to decide whether the life I am offering a dog is suitable.  Having waited for the last 3 years until my circumstances were stable before seeking out a dog, I do not take any pet ownership lightly.  If anything, I would say I have been far more cautious when looking for a dog than many people are.

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009, 11:05:45 PM »

I am very well aware, having had pets throughout my life, of the responsibilities, training and commitment required in having a dog, the pitfalls, costs (financial, situational and emotional), problems, and all the other issues surrounding pet ownership. 

As to what I can offer a dog, I can offer a quiet, stable home, I can offer love, and time and effort to giving it a good life. I can offer it proper vet care, walks, and decient food.  I make no claims, and have made no claims as to being able to offer a better home than someone else would.  There are aspects to my life that is not wonderful for some dogs, and there are aspects that are better than average.  It is down to finding the right dog whose life would fit with the one I am offering.  An overly energetic, loud, dominant dog would likely not find that much happiness in my house, however one that would find pleasure in a laid back lifestyle would likely find life with me happier than in a very energetic household.  When I say I am looking for a dog of a certain temperment and type, it is in the understanding of a dog's needs, and the understanding that a dog whose lifestyle and type does not fit with my own will likely not be happy, nor will I be. 

In conclusion, I would say that it is ultimately the decision of the various rescue organisations to decide whether the life I am offering a dog is suitable.  Having waited for the last 3 years until my circumstances were stable before seeking out a dog, I do not take any pet ownership lightly.  If anything, I would say I have been far more cautious when looking for a dog than many people are.

I think you are keeping a very steady sensible head on the whole thing. Good luck  :D
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

QuietScribe

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009, 11:20:25 PM »

Offline White Bryony

• Site Member
  • Woofie 5.5.1999 - 29.4.13
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009, 11:32:12 PM »
Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome  :D

I am owned by the two working cocker monsters pictured (they aren't worked tho)

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie x

Lisa, Maddie and Woofie (now at the bridge) xx

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009, 11:35:03 PM »

I think you are keeping a very steady sensible head on the whole thing. Good luck  :D

I agree and really hope that perfect dog is not too far away in the future for you  :D
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline fifer

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 10:52:51 AM »
My post was deliberately designed to make the poster think about the dog's needs.   ;)  Rescue dogs are vulnerable, many have been ill treated and some have had more than one home already, we as rescues seek stable forever homes for them.

Our criteria as a rescue is to find the dog a perfect home and an owner who puts the dog before his own needs. 

Those are the questions that all good rescues will want to ask and points that they will require assure themselves about regarding any prospective new owner.

So, no offence, but just how are you going to react to an application form which asks specifically how you will deal with certain training issues which may arise?  And on what grounds you would return the dog to rescue?  Granted we are very tough on our applicants but we have to consider the dog first. ;) :D
Spaniels In Need

Offline Elisa

• Site Member
  • Double Trouble
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 01:08:05 PM »
I understand fifer, that as a rescue you always have to put the dog's needs first, but Quietscribe has posted here in the Introductions board to introduce himself.  I feel it is a bit unwelcoming to question his motives on the few posts that he has made, which have all seemed quite level headed to me  :huh:  I'm sure whenever a suitable dog comes along, the rescue concerned, will ensure that Quietscribe is 100% perfect for the dog and vice versa  :-\
Elisa, Bailey & Harvey  xxx

Offline BabyBear

• Site Member
  • Who's a pretty girl
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2009, 02:48:10 PM »
Hey,

And i hope all goes well  :luv:
Al, Cath, And not forgetting Skye xxx ;)

Offline seasideblue

• Bella
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2009, 08:02:55 PM »
Hi Quietscribe,
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and Bella (blue roan show type) and Mabel (chocolate and white show type) are keeping their paws crossed for you. We hope you find your cocker soon. Keep positive!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2009, 08:06:50 PM »
I understand fifer, that as a rescue you always have to put the dog's needs first, but Quietscribe has posted here in the Introductions board to introduce himself.  I feel it is a bit unwelcoming to question his motives on the few posts that he has made, which have all seemed quite level headed to me  :huh:  I'm sure whenever a suitable dog comes along, the rescue concerned, will ensure that Quietscribe is 100% perfect for the dog and vice versa  :-\

I totally agree with this, I don't really see the need for the grilling on a welcome thread, there are lots of people who come on here asking general questions about rescue dogs and if they all got that I doubt if many would stick around. It's not like QS has applied for any dog in particular or made any claims that he's a wonder trainer who offers the best home ever to absolutely any dog; as far as I can see he's a normal person who loves dogs and wants to offer the best he can to any that he might own just same as the rest of us on here. I think the fact that he has come on here in the first place to ask about rescues and Cockers in specific and has put so much thought into what he can offer a dog rather than just rushing out to get one says rather a lot about him.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »

I totally agree with this, I don't really see the need for the grilling on a welcome thread, there are lots of people who come on here asking general questions about rescue dogs and if they all got that I doubt if many would stick around. It's not like QS has applied for any dog in particular or made any claims that he's a wonder trainer who offers the best home ever to absolutely any dog; as far as I can see he's a normal person who loves dogs and wants to offer the best he can to any that he might own just same as the rest of us on here. I think the fact that he has come on here in the first place to ask about rescues and Cockers in specific and has put so much thought into what he can offer a dog rather than just rushing out to get one says rather a lot about him.

hear hear  :D

Hope you're not put off Quietscribe, I know there is a dog out there for you  ;)  I think your honesty speaks volumes and if I were in rescue I would rather have someone like you applying for a dog instead of one who passes a home check but isn't as open and doesn't in the end live up to rescue expectations  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2009, 09:00:48 PM »
I dont think Eileen has come across as she intended. She has actually got a dog in mind who might suit Quietscribe, she was just ensuring he was as good a candiate as I thought he was  ;) The questions the Spaniel Trust ask at homechecks are the same as what she posted. It isnt meant to be harsh and there's no right or wrong answer with somem of them, its usually just to get a good idea of the persons opinions about owning dogs. I wish all prospective new dog owners put the same amount of thought into rehoming a rescue dog as Quietscribe.  :D

Jo

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.