Author Topic: Hi from Edinburgh  (Read 7258 times)

Offline jools

• Site Member
Re: Hi from Edinburgh
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2009, 09:08:45 PM »
I wish all prospective new dog owners put the same amount of thought into rehoming a rescue dog as Quietscribe.  :D

Jo

I agree with Elisa's post, and I think this sentence from Jo sums my feelings up.

QS - good luck with your home check!
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2009, 11:51:07 PM »
If there is a dog in mind for QuietScribe, and rescue organisations are considering his suitability..then that's really good news, but I don't see why he has to be grilled about his suitability on a forum  ph34r

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

QuietScribe

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2009, 01:07:42 AM »
Thank you all for your kind words.
I have Jo coming over next weekend for a home check :) so fingers crossed.  I am a bit nervous, but she knows more than me about rescue dogs.  Nothing like hands-on experience after all.  Lets just hope I make the grade =^.^=

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2009, 03:45:14 AM »
If there is a dog in mind for QuietScribe, and rescue organisations are considering his suitability..then that's really good news, but I don't see why he has to be grilled about his suitability on a forum  ph34r

Agree, there are different times and ways to say things.

I hope the home check goes well and you find the right match for you.

Whatever happens, with a rescue you'll know what he/she is like and if they'll fit your lifestyle rather than a puppy that could be anyone's guess  :005: If one has a certain lifestyle/circumstances that they don't wish to/can't adapt (not talking about OP) it's far better to realise that and act accordingly than those who think any puppy will just magically 'fit in' and adapt to them. 
I think you're doing absolutly the right thing by going down this route  ;)
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

QuietScribe

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 05:47:24 AM »
Oops, I just realised that I totally missed a whole page of comments the last time I posted.

I am quite a private sort of person, so posting up details of what I can, and more importantly what I cannot offer a dog (due to my own limitations) is not something that comes naturally to me.  I don't think many people like pointing out their flaws for potentially hundreds of forum users to see, heh.  If a representative of a rescue organisation, such as fifer, wishes to know more information, I would be more comfortable talking in pm as I did initially with Jo, and answer any specific questions they have.  I would say though that this would be the first dog I have had on my own, and while I can offer to spend time doing training, having to correct serious issues is probably beyond me. 

But I digress.  What I was meaning to say was:  Thank you all  :lol2:

QuietScribe

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2009, 07:39:51 PM »
A general update.  So far, not such good news.
I have not had a homecheck yet, but having called a couple of rescue orgs, I don't seem to fit what they want.  One turned me down streight away because I didn't have a 100% secure yard. 

I looked into the possibility of getting a greyhound because of their quiet and placid home temperment, checked some websites and spoke to fife greyhound rescue, but with a greyhound I wouldn't be able to let it off the lead ever because of its hunting instinct.  I don't have a secure yard it could play in off the lead either.  I was surprised at how dissapointed I was about the off-the-lead thing, as I miss the times when I could wander around the park with a dog roaming around me, running after me enthusiastically when I called it.

I am feeling pretty down about the whole thing at the moment, as I have been looking into rehoming a dog since before xmas.  I know its only 2-3 months, and it will take a while to find the right dog, but tonight it seems like an eternity.  I really miss having a dog.  I just wonder whether really finding the right dog will end up being getting a pup and training it, and whether I can handle that.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
I'm gonna pm you...might take me a while, but I'll get round to it  ;)

Offline craigfleur

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2009, 10:35:15 PM »
don't despair even purchasing a pup could take you some time to find the right one  ;)  I took a year to get my boy even though I wanted to get one right away. I'm really glad I followed my head not my heart and waited until I found the right breeder and pup  - as you know it's long term commitment and you need to make the right decision - just hang in there.

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2009, 11:06:43 PM »
Hang on in there and don't despair. As my 93 year old granny says "Whits fir ye, willnae go by ye"
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

QuietScribe

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2009, 10:14:46 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I am trying very hard to remain patient and keep my options open, but its difficult.

On the advice of a member of COL, I have been considering the possibility of getting a slightly easier to train breed of dog, if I was to get a puppy.  That is a big if.  I love cockers, but I do worry about bringing any young dog into a flat where noise is an issue with neighbours, and I think we all know young cockers can be a bit mental.. sometimes more than other dogs.  Part of it may be my insecurity with my ability to train a dog, fearing it might go all horribly wrong.  It could getting an adult as well, but at least most of them are housetrained heh

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2009, 12:40:19 PM »
Sorry it is taking longer than you hoped to find your perfect doggy companion.  :-\  I know it seems to be taking a long time but as has been said, even finding the right pup can take ages.  Have you thought about getting in touch with your local rescue and offering to walk one of their dogs while you are waiting  :huh:  My local rescue rely on volunteers to take the dogs out for walks and have certain days and times when you can go and take one of them out :luv:  Might help you if you can get a doggy fix while you wait for your special companion  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2009, 04:51:44 PM »
  Have you thought about getting in touch with your local rescue and offering to walk one of their dogs while you are waiting  :huh:  My local rescue rely on volunteers to take the dogs out for walks and have certain days and times when you can go and take one of them out :luv:  Might help you if you can get a doggy fix while you wait for your special companion  ;)

I think that sounds like a great idea

QuietScribe

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2009, 10:12:31 PM »
Sorry it is taking longer than you hoped to find your perfect doggy companion.  :-\  I know it seems to be taking a long time but as has been said, even finding the right pup can take ages.  Have you thought about getting in touch with your local rescue and offering to walk one of their dogs while you are waiting  :huh:  My local rescue rely on volunteers to take the dogs out for walks and have certain days and times when you can go and take one of them out :luv:  Might help you if you can get a doggy fix while you wait for your special companion  ;)
The nearest pet rescue is the edinburgh cat and dog home, and that is about 40-50 mins walk to get there, or two bus journeys from where I stay and is in the opposite direction from the park.  I don't have a car.  I am not sure this is the answer.

Offline JohnW

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2009, 05:11:03 PM »
A belated welcome form me in county durham :D