Author Topic: Do you lift your dog by the scruff of their necks?  (Read 19408 times)

Offline Oliver21508

Re: Do you lift your dog by the scruff of their necks?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 12:28:03 PM »
Why do you have to lift them over fences?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 12:39:02 PM »
Why do you have to lift them over fences?

Because they can't jump that high?  :shades:

Re CM, his methods seem aimed more towards making the dog totally submissive rather than under control  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2009, 12:47:21 PM »
But I mean, when do you have to get over high fences like that?

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2009, 12:48:24 PM »

:lol2: when you're a country bumpkin like lots of us :shades: :005:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2009, 12:50:15 PM »

They are not that high - sometimes there is no other way through on a footpath eg if there is a stile and no gaps in the fence, then you need to help the dog over  ;)  If there is another way then Coco just gets through herself  ;)

Re the OP, I don't do this with Coco - I lift her under her tum like the princess she is  :luv:
Julie and Watson

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2009, 01:10:08 PM »
I don't like or do scruffing. I've seen someone scruff their dog and carry it it the air and throw it down on the floor to get the point across that they should stay when asked to stay and not creep forwards.

I always put one hand under tummy and one under bum and lift (except in the cow field when I just flung them over the fence by their leads but that was an emergency situation).

Penny sometimes asks for "lifties" onto the bed or chair and it that case I put my hand at the back of her head and she leans into it and hoists herself up, Bronte does it too.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline SJP

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2009, 01:32:46 PM »

.... (except in the cow field when I just flung them over the fence by their leads but that was an emergency situation).

Blimey......what happened?
Sally & Lola xxx

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2009, 01:53:26 PM »
I don't like or do scruffing. I've seen someone scruff their dog and carry it it the air and throw it down on the floor to get the point across that they should stay when asked to stay
Surly there is a big difference between a dog being lifted by the scruff of his neck with support and it being used as part of a punishment?  :huh:

Offline emderpenguin

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2009, 02:04:03 PM »
Surly there is a big difference between a dog being lifted by the scruff of his neck with support and it being used as part of a punishment?  :huh:

I agree, there is a HUGE difference between supporting a dog and draging it up or around by the scruff of the neck.

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2009, 02:11:54 PM »
I see comparing scruffing for punishment to scruffing for lifting the same as comparing the relaxed down and a alpha roll.
Its no where near the same thing

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2009, 02:21:02 PM »
To the CM fans, watch THIS clip very carefully. >:D

and take a look at THIS thread. ;)

OMG!!  :o No wonder the poor dog reacted like that!! Plus from what I can see the dog is only pulling/jumping to get itself out of that awful lead that is around its head/neck!  :'(

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Jay06

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »

Surely there is a big difference between a dog being lifted by the scruff of his neck with support and it being used as part of a punishment?  :huh:
[/quote]

Totally agree with this statement. Obviously as with everything in this world people have different views and opinions on things and mine is if there's no other way to lift Bailey oversomething then this is a suitable alternative as long as he's he's not been lifted in the air and shook/dangled or slammed to the floor and 'dominated'  ::)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2009, 03:07:45 PM »
No, I don't do it normally if there are other ways of moving a dog. However, I have recently had to lift Jesse out of deepish water because he fell in and couldn't climb out again... lifting him out by the collar would have been a lot more uncomfortable than being lifted by the (ample) scruff!

I would say it also depends on the breed. With our lurchers, I would never dream of scruffing them for anything as they just don't have enough skin for it and it would hurt them. In a situation like the one with Jesse, I would have to pull them out by the collar. Our pyrenees on the other hand has so much skin around his neck, he probably wouldn't even notice if he was scruffed...  :D

So in a nutshell, no, I wouldn't use it as a default, but in some situations and with breeds that have lots of scruff, I wouldn't consider it cruel.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2009, 03:16:30 PM »
Yep I do, often in the way you've described. It's common for cockers when they're working to lift them over an obsticle in this way. And if the fence is barbed it'll be a hand under the bum -ish to take the weight. Wherry is very used to being scooped lke this with an arm under her belly as Ex onlt has one hand it's the only way to quickly get her out of a situation of over an obstacle.
I'd not pick them up and carry them around like it obviously.

The only time i'd pick them by the scuff with out supporting them with the other hand is if they were in danger and I couldnt reach them any other way. I'd rather that than they got carried down a river, tried to jump barbed wire etc.
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2009, 04:55:40 PM »
I don't like or do scruffing. I've seen someone scruff their dog and carry it it the air and throw it down on the floor to get the point across that they should stay when asked to stay

Lifting a dog briefly by the scruff to get them over an obstacle is not the same thing as grabbing a dog by the scruff and shaking it or carrying a dog dangling by its scruff and then throwing it to the ground :huh:  Nobody on here is asking if or suggesting that that is an acceptable thing to do at all; they're two completely different things.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/