Author Topic: Do you lift your dog by the scruff of their necks?  (Read 19404 times)

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Do you lift your dog by the scruff of their necks?
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2009, 05:38:30 PM »
if you read the original post it says scruff of the neck and CHEST everyone is saying neck and support their bums which is different from neck and chest , it seems two very different things to me unless i have misread OP, also i have a show cocker and  2 working cockers who dont work, but they are extremely active and happy dogs and their minds are certainly stimulated enough. Ella has lost 11kg since ive had her which is almost the weight of my show girl,and she is learning new stuff every day, she can now retreive a ball faster than bruno  ;) i have 3 happy well adjusted dogs who get along great with each other and most other dogs they meet ,they can go to barbi,s off lead all day in the summer , i can do absolutley anything, be it take a bone from their mouths ,stick my fingers in their ears if needed to clean etc etc  just because some people dont WORK their working type cockers doesnt mean to say they arent happy as implied a little on an earlier posting, i expect it all boils down to what the individual dog is used to mine being soft non working spoilt pets would yelp the place down if anyone tried to lift them by the scruff and chest  ;) :D
Actualy most of the posts refer to a with a supported hand, others say tummy and some say bum  ;)
It does say in my OP that if i have gone over first and their chest is the only bit of the dog i can reach I place my hand there and slide the dogs up my arm, I thought it would be obvious as there sliding up my arm my hands position is moving towards there tummy and bums (this happens in about 1sec which is why its hard to explain). I start with my hand on their chest in that situation because i  dont want to pull the dogs up only by the scruff while im reaching for there tummy/bum depending on the height.
I also dont understand what things you can do to your dogs have to do with this.  :huh:

• Donator
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2009, 05:41:36 PM »
This is what i said in OP regarding there chests and putting my hand there

Sometimes to lift the dogs over fences i grab the skin at the back of their neck, place a hand on their chest (to take the weight) and lift them over,

By the time i have climbed over the fence to reach back and get them over the chest and neck is the only thing i can reach. 

i will (while there stood up) grab the skin at the back of neck with my other hand on their chest and slide them up my arm and over.

Im going to bow out of this thread now, i have my answers and dont want to get involved in a worker v pet debate as it think its obvious there is a divide when it comes to alot of situations.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2009, 06:44:16 PM »
This has been a very intersting thread to read and I'm sad it turned a bit sour, but I guess that's the nature of a forum. I would just like to say that, at the beginning of the thread, I had no opinion to offer; I have no experience of working a dog. I have, however, through reading this thread and being "educated", formed the opinion that there is nothing wrong with lifting one's dog in the way that Jacks Mum and others describe.And because no-one has come up with valid argument against this type of lifting, I have decided I'm in favour of it when appropriate :shades: ph34r ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2009, 08:42:33 PM »
I've never done it.

If I have to lean over to pick mine up I place my arms under their arms and hand under their bum.

This exactly what I do, I think the scruff of the neck comes from when a bitch carries her pups, I think it may be a little unfair to pick a full grown dog up this way. I wouldn't want to try it anyway.

so what would you do if you had a dog with no collar on, a barbed wire fence in front of you, no other help and seconds to get your dog over the fence?

One hand supports his chest whilst the other supports his bum and he goes over! Can be done by me without a collar or harness.

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2009, 10:35:26 PM »
I have been reading this thread, but not yet contributed.  I would think it is very clear - if this is the safest way to lift your dog then you would do it, wouldnt you?  If the dog is supported in another way in addition to the scruff then I dont believe it would hurt them and if it did they would wriggle/yelp. It would hurt more to not have a safe grip on the dog and to then drop it.  The dogs in question are not scared of their owners and we all know they are much loved members of their families so their respective owners would not do anything to intentionally hurt them in any way.   ;)  They are all clearly very well trained, fulfilled dogs.

I dont lift mine this way but that is because I am not in a situation where that would be necessary - you guys dont do that to lift them in and out of the bath  :005:

• Donator
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2009, 11:24:39 PM »
I dont lift mine this way but that is because I am not in a situation where that would be necessary - you guys dont do that to lift them in and out of the bath  :005:
I know i said i was out but couldnt help it
Whats bath? 
Do you mean that thing i have thrown them both in twice in their lives?  :005:
Mine dont do baths, the long grass rubs most the dirt off then a towel gets the rest  ph34r

Offline JasperPop

• Jagger
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2009, 04:36:11 PM »
 :005: :005: