Author Topic: Changing Broadband Suppliers  (Read 1216 times)

Offline beepee

• Limited Member
Changing Broadband Suppliers
« on: March 24, 2009, 08:45:59 PM »
I am a complete idiot with computers and was wondering just what is involved in changing from Virgin to Sky. Especially, does it involve any alterations to the wireless router settings. It was a real pig to set up and I really don't want to change anything.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Ibecks

Re: Changing Broadband Suppliers
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:14:50 AM »
I am a complete idiot with computers and was wondering just what is involved in changing from Virgin to Sky. Especially, does it involve any alterations to the wireless router settings. It was a real pig to set up and I really don't want to change anything.

Virgin Media are cable (DSL) internet suppliers, they provide their service through their own cabling to your house.

Sky use (ADSL), their service is provided through BT telephone lines.

There are 2 different routers that you can buy and that depends on your type of service - ADSL or DSL.

You will need a new router if you are changing from Virgin to Sky, however Sky usually supply one free and it will be pre-configured.

Offline nickyshep

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:00:31 PM »
To be honest I would stay with virgin, I recently went through the motions to have sky installed, they could'nt come quick enough for the television and we're really happy with it apart from the fact that my 2 daughters are obsessed with the Disney channel!!, However the broadband and phone were a completely different matter, we had to have a BT line installed and that took ages, in the meantime I had cancelled with Virgin and we were just cut off without a phoneline, >:D they then said after I'd phoned them on my mobile! it would take at least 10 days after they installed the phoneline to have the broadband disc and to be connected. I think to be honest that Virgin is better from a connection point of view, but that's just my opinion. Sorry for waffling on

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:42:25 PM »
Virgin Media are cable (DSL) internet suppliers, they provide their service through their own cabling to your house.

Sky use (ADSL), their service is provided through BT telephone lines.

There are 2 different routers that you can buy and that depends on your type of service - ADSL or DSL.

You will need a new router if you are changing from Virgin to Sky, however Sky usually supply one free and it will be pre-configured.

Virgin also supply ADSL broadband through your phone line - we can't get cable here but have Virgin National broadband (through our phone line) using a Netgear ADSL router - works fine (most of the time :D) so not necessarily any need to change the router if changing to Sky.

Jane

Offline seaangler

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 10:25:36 PM »
I would also stick with Virgin(far better broad band)...Buy changing you have to go through all the bother with your roaming code and that can take for ages to get change over....I am going with Virgin as soon as my contract finnishes with talk talk...Chris

Gemma..Cindy And peggy