Author Topic: The Plan  (Read 1108 times)

Offline redmond

The Plan
« on: April 23, 2009, 12:24:21 PM »
OK.... so this is my wifes plan of action for tomorrow, having never introduced a younger pup we are looking for thoughts/suggestions

I'm planning on picking pup up around 2pm, but will take me a good 5 hours to get home with stops, CJ our older dog will have had his evening walk by then (normally out for a good hour and a bit in the evening, but this one might be a bit longer) so should be worn out (yeah right!) by the time I get home. 

I am to put pup in the garden in his cage and then go into the house... this should give CJ time to calm down as he gets really excited when I get home... especially if I've been working away for a couple days. Once calm has been restored again let CJ into the garden (leaving pup in the cage) to investigate.... eventually letting the pup out once things have calmed down again... then let them migrate into the house under their own steam.

At the moment I'm under strict intructions not to deviate from this plan.... but if I come up with a good argument she is willing to hear it  :005:

any thoughts? Are we doing anything obviously wrong?
CJ & Bailey

Offline sassie

• Site Member
Re: The Plan
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 12:28:31 PM »
Congratulations on getting new pup - (exciting!!).  No advice because I haven't ever done it, but someone will be along who has and is more experienced than me - good luck with it all!

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 12:32:46 PM »
I maybe wouldnt put the pup in the cage just in the garden and let CJ find it.
When i picked up Brie I took Jack with me and introduced them in the breeders garden but it was a much shorter journey.
I think alot of people on here have done as your saying and done the introductions in the garden.

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Sounds like a plan to me but I think just put the pup in the garden not in a crate - when we introduced Dennis and Ruby we stood back and let them sort themselves out - obviously we would have intervened if necessary but they were fine  ;) Good luck  - think we need pics asap !  :shades:  ;)
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:36:54 PM »
Sounds good to me, some people advise them meeting on totally mutual territory then coming back together. However, you know your dog best and how he's likely to react so be guided by your gut instincts. Even if it's a bit tense to start off with it often calms down as they get used to it.

I recently bought a new baby home and my Weim said hello then wasn't remotely bothered by her but my cocker (who wasn't at all phased when the Weim moved in or when other dogs come over) was more unsettled than I was expecting and a little too interested. However, 3 months on and he's not at all bothered by the baby and she's now part of the furniture to him  :luv: :luv:

Lots of luck, can't wait to see the pics!  :D :D

Hannah

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »
I agree, have the pup in the garden but not in a crate.

Bella spent 3 days laying down the law to little Zorro when he first arrived and it was a bit nerve-wracking initially as he'd scream his head off but actually she didn't do any damage at all. She had a sliding scale of punishments, from a mere grumble to pinning him to the floor, depending on what he'd done wrong in her eyes. But after that they just got on like a house on fire and adore each other  :luv:

Bella's rule-making definitely worked though, if Zorro behaved half as well for us as he does for her we'd be laughing  ::)
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline redmond

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 01:33:35 PM »
OK... so I think I may have persuaded her re the pup being out the crate.... or, course it could be raining... I don't think she has a contingency plan yet... If she thinks I'm standing outside in the rain while the boys *bond* she has another thing coming!  :lol2:
CJ & Bailey

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 01:35:13 PM »
When we brought Maddi home Murphy was at MILs, I just walked in with Maddi and plopped her on the floor Murphy came to me (we had picked her up on the way home from a short break) and then sniffed her and that was that!!  I wouldn't put pup in a crate but everything else sounds good.

Good Luck!
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline Roslyn McConnell

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 02:27:09 PM »
The only thing I would suggest is to maybe try to  pick him up earlier in the day, that gives him time to settle down in ur home a bit before bed time......this can be a very scary time for puppies who are used to their mother and siblings being there and if he gets there at 7, has to wait on his new brother settling down, get introduced.......then it doesnt leave much time before bed time.

But I suppose with such a long journey that might not be possible!

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 04:57:05 PM »
My dogs just found the puppy in the garden :luv: but they are fairly quiet laid back dogs, and I watched like a hawk. I picked up the pup after a fews mins so it wasn't frightened and slowly went from there  :blink:
Good luck tomorrow  :blink:
have a great day  :luv:

Offline doughy

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 02:30:45 PM »
I introduced Gypsy our 4 month old pup in the garden once she was sniffed all over and over again by the gang they were fine running around etc Karan

Offline redmond

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 10:04:45 PM »
OK... so things went very well indeed.... CJ, came back from his evening walk  pretty tired and we introduced them in the garden after he had calmed down a bit... things were a little tense to start with but they seem the best of friends now.... in fact Bailey is curled up with CJ curled around him... were both very pleased.

Have had a wonderful weekend, will get some pics posted soon.... unfortunately I have to go back to work tomorrow for a few days so the OH has the week off to... lucky so and so
CJ & Bailey

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 10:07:32 PM »
 ;) Glad it worked out well. looking forward to the photos  :luv:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline sassie

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 11:08:06 PM »
Well done!  Looking forward to the photos too  :blink:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 10:21:35 PM »
Glad it went well. CJ can teach new puppy all the tricks now, like how to get extra cuddles and biscuits, and where to dig the best holes in the garden.

I am considering opening mine out as a mini golf course with all the craters and bunkers that have sprung up (or should that be down  :lol2: ) lately.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.