Author Topic: Normal puppy behaviour?  (Read 523 times)

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
Normal puppy behaviour?
« on: April 28, 2009, 04:30:16 PM »
Hi

I am very new to this site - and also Eddie is my first puppy cocker (previously older rescues) - we are totally trying to do 'all the right things' and 'go by the book' - but they all tell you what you should do, but don't tell you what to do then if you don't get the right response!  :lol2:

He's a great puppy but he does cry and whine A LOT - when he's happy, excited, playing, when you're not playing with him, when you are, when he's hungry, when he wants to go in the garden, to the toilet, when you leave the room....when you come back! he does sleep a lot and settles down at night in his crate no problem (phew!).... i guess i just need to know that this is 'normal' for a pup of his age? at his check up the vet said he's perfectly happy and healthy so i assume we just have fun and work through it?

(really glad we don't have kids as well right now!!)  :lol:

Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline Sarah16

• Site Member
  • Mollie
Re: Normal puppy behaviour?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 05:56:04 PM »
It is quite normal, some puppies seem to do it more than others, I have a 17 week old puppy, Pippa and she still whines and cries when I leave the room, even though it has got a lot better over the last couple of weeks.

Pippa

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:39:17 PM »
It sounds normal to me.  ;)  Try to consider that all puppies are developing their own little personalities and they are still very much 'babies' at this age.  One puppy can be so different from another, even from the same litter. It may be that Eddie just needs lots of love, attention and reassurance from you.  Its the same as human brothers and sisters, you very rarely are the same as each other.  If the vet has given him a clean bill of health, at least you know there is not a medical reason.

Is Eddie old enough to go to puppy training classes?  It would be a good idea and also help to build his confidence if you could take him.  :D

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:09:59 PM »
The funny thing is he was the 'squeakiest' of the litter when we went to choose him - that's part of what made us choose the little monkey! He's fast asleep now having driven my other half up the wall all day!
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 08:46:01 PM »
It does sound like you have the most 'vocal' puppy from the litter.  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie