Author Topic: would you go to the vet  (Read 808 times)

Offline sal spring

would you go to the vet
« on: May 20, 2009, 09:10:11 PM »
I have noticed a lump about half a centimetre diameter next to Ripley's teat - it is fairly soft but a bit sore i think.
To my untrained eye it looks like a boil - would you take her to the vet or see what happens over the next day or so?
She is otherwise fine and has good appetite. She is now nearly 15 weeks....any advice gladly received.

Offline skyesmum

• Limited Member
  • My 2 Girls!
Re: would you go to the vet
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 09:13:12 PM »
I would keep an eye on it and look for it weeping or swelling or causing discomfort.

Good on you for being such a vigilant owner of a new pup  ;) - but it is probably nothing to worry about....

Skye has a lump at one of her nips, and it looks like a double nip!  Vet said that it was nothing..... (she is now 2)

Keep us posted  :-* :-* :-* :-*
xxx  Gill, Skye-de-Pie and Puppy Ruaidh  xxx

Offline sal spring

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 09:20:25 PM »
thanks for that will keep an eye on it

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:49:30 PM »
keep a close eye and if you are at all worried then go to the vet - better to play safe than sorry  :luv:

Offline dkirkuk

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:35:03 PM »
Likewise, I'd keep an eye on it for a few days. If it seems to be painful it's most likely a small skin infection, maybe an infected hair folicle. If so it could settle by itself. How far back is it? Since she's so young the other thing that springs to mind is a small hernia if it is further back. It's very unlikely that it's a growth at her age.

I'd keep a close eye for a few days, if it gets worse I'd go to the vet and at least put your mind at rest.

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 10:37:48 PM »
Likewise, I'd keep an eye on it for a few days. If it seems to be painful it's most likely a small skin infection, maybe an infected hair folicle. If so it could settle by itself. How far back is it? Since she's so young the other thing that springs to mind is a small hernia if it is further back. It's very unlikely that it's a growth at her age.

I'd keep a close eye for a few days, if it gets worse I'd go to the vet and at least put your mind at rest.

Thats what i thought , apparently quite common in young pups , Dennis had one , it seems to have disappered now  :D

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 11:28:31 PM »
Belle had something similar (she is 11 weeks), it was like a spot, it went on its own with a bit of antiseptic, cant say whether its the same sort of thing so whilst I wouldn't worry and just keep an eye , obviously have it checked out if it doesn't resolve itself
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline sal spring

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »
thanks everyone - the lump is now lessening so i think it was a minor skin infection.. all your thoughts were much appreciated and really helpful.