Author Topic: Night time toilet  (Read 732 times)

Offline CrunchyMand

Night time toilet
« on: June 12, 2009, 12:22:17 PM »
Oscar will be with us tomorrow and I am after some advice re what I do with him during the night. Do I get up and take him to the toilet, how often? Or do I leave him in the crate and clean up in the morning? What do you do, or did you do when you first got your puppy?
Enjoying this journey !!

Offline Mittens

• Rock Steady Eddie
Re: Night time toilet
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »
We got up and took Eddie out - first week or so twice during the night and following few weeks only once - now at 16 weeks old he sleeps all through, has come out of his cage at night and sleeps in his bed, and we have not had a single overnight accident ever (we've had him since 8 weeks). Worth noting that we took him out whether he cried to go or not at set times (say we went to bed at 11pm, then he was out at 2am and 5am so he didn't have to last more than three hours) and didn't make any fuss - just picked him up, popped him outside then straight back in his cage without petting him. It was very tiring at the time but only lasted about five to six weeks and the benefits of a toilet trained pup make it seem so worthwhile - good luck with whatever you decide to do!  :luv: (NB: we had many daytime 'accidents' especially in the first weeks, but even these seem to be few and far between now)
Tracey, Eddie and Ruby

Offline I love cockers

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 01:04:43 PM »
Mine is 11 weeks old now and has been clean at nighttime for just over the last week. She sleeps in a crate with vet bed and in the first week we would take her out if she cried in the night  and did what Mittens said although we didnt set our alarm but just went if we heard her cry- it was generally twice around 2am and 5am. We also woke her up before we went to bed 10.30 / 11 so she could do a wee and possible poo. Not sure what time she wakes up now but she doesnt cry  (she is playing in her crate  :luv:) - i go downstairs at 7am and let her out
Good luck!!!

Offline EddieP

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 01:11:18 PM »
You might be lucky like us as Alfie only had one accident when we slept through our alarm and has otherwise slept through from around 10.30 / 11 - 6.30. We take him out before we go to bed and then we don't here a peep out of him all night.
Ed, Jo and Alfie

Offline sal spring

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 09:44:24 PM »
We did not get up to Ripley at all - she cried the first night and was then fine. She soiled her paper area for about a fortnight and then so long as we got up
around 6.30 she was dry through the night.......lucky us and clever her

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 09:53:43 PM »
We were lucky with Poppy too. She never had an accident during the night from night 2 and went from 11pm-6.15 for the first couple of weeks and then 7am since then.  Recently at the weekend she sleeps until 8am! It's lovely. ;)  I think all puppies are so different and you will know what to do when you get your little bundle of joy!
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 10:13:18 PM »
Just like to add a cautioniary note, Katie took quite a while to get the hang of holding on during the night, so if you find your new little one is the same, don't think you have failed in some way, just like everything else they seem to do things at different paces. Katie got there in the end - as do most pups.  :shades:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 10:41:38 PM »
I was lucky that both mine were clean through the night.  Misha slept through from day one, however I was unlucky that Roly used to howl in the early hours to go out.  I'm glad that I got up to let him out to the loo, because it meant that he never had an accident in his crate - it did go on for a few weeks.  I made sure that I was very careful not to give any attention other than the business of going to the loo, afterwards it was straight back to bed.  After tweeking feeding times and activity it helped to make it easier for him to go through the night.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love