Author Topic: How can i stop puppy growling??  (Read 6245 times)

Offline pcmikey

How can i stop puppy growling??
« on: June 22, 2009, 09:19:19 PM »
Hi,

My 11 week old cocker Kianne has started to growl. :o
She does this when she is being held by us & also when my daughter (who is 8 yrs old) plays with her.
She also seems to make a be line for my daughter-pulling at her clothes & play biting excessively with her.

Does any one have any tips i could use to help stop these?

Cheers

Mike

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: How can i stop puppy growling??
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 09:24:22 PM »
Growling is part of normal dog/puppy communication, it does not always mean that a dog is acting 'aggressively' and in the case of an 11 week old puppy it almost certainly doesn't mean this. Young children and young puppies can be a difficult combination, if you do a search on here you will find lots of threads on managing kids and pups and on play biting etc.

Have a look at these to start with...

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=60656.0
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=60116.0
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=59514.0
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:09:01 PM »
Belle is 16 weeks, we have little ones too and its hard work ,90% of the day Belle is as good as gold and the kids can run around the garden etc without her batting an eyelid, then she will have her crazy 5 mins ph34r she tears around jumping up biting at their clothes etc, the kids now know that if this happens they stop running and that calms her down enough for me to remove her from the situation. She will also growl sometimes if they pick her up so they now also have learnt to leave her alone if she growls its usually because she is tired and doesn't want to be bothered. You have to teach the kids how to react as well as getting there quickly to remove her from the situation, good luck and don't think she is aggressive its just a puppy thing  ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline SuperCat

• Murphy
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 10:14:13 PM »
Murphy was like this, although we don't have kids it became quite intimidating and we were quite worried. He is now just over 5 months and although gets growley when he's tired is much better. With the picking up I found if he growled when he was in my arms I wouldn't put him down until he stopped then put him down immediately. I didn't want him to learn if he growled he'd get out of doing things. I'd be wary of this with children though obviously. Like others said you have to just supervise them a lot, but it will get better. We thought we'd got something round the bend on our hands but he's calmed down a lot. Also helped when his front teeth fell out, A LOT, he is still bitey as his molars are coming through but he's nowhere near as 'vicious' and doesn't bite as hard. Also doesn't hurt as much! His started falling out at about 15 weeks and he started teething like yours at about 11-12.
Crowned 'Biggest Hooligan of the day' Solid Colours Cocker Spaniel Association show 25/4/10.

Offline fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 09:07:38 PM »
Murphy also growled when  he was younger, he is now 8 months old and growl free.
We worried and thought it was a sign of something, but it wasn't.

Our trainer at the Puppy classes said it was normal puppy behaviour and it was.

Offline laurianna

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 01:08:08 AM »
Yes Bella was like Murphy, she would growl if you picked her up, so we would hold her until she lay quietly and then put her down when she was quiet. It works like a dream.  She also was "picking" on my eldest daughter who was 11, the vet said it was because she saw her as her equal so we had to teach Bec to "dominate" and Bella soon learned that she was at the bottom of the pack. Sound awful, but its how it has to be, IMO.

I took her to the vet on Monday for jabs and she did it to the vet,  he said NO sharply and she soon got the message. Then licked his face to say sorry  :luv:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 10:45:23 PM »

That really isn't the best way to deal with a pup... it can backfire horribly and give you a dog who is handshy...  :-\ Vets are not qualified to give behavioural advice....

I wouldn't want anyone to "dominate" my dog...  :-\
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 10:52:06 PM »
I totally agree with Karma, I really would ask anyone to look into other options other than domination. There is plenty of evidence out there to show just how damaging these outdated methods can be :'( :'(

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 11:08:30 PM »
Yes Bella was like Murphy, she would growl if you picked her up, so we would hold her until she lay quietly and then put her down when she was quiet. It works like a dream.  She also was "picking" on my eldest daughter who was 11, the vet said it was because she saw her as her equal so we had to teach Bec to "dominate" and Bella soon learned that she was at the bottom of the pack. Sound awful, but its how it has to be, IMO.

I took her to the vet on Monday for jabs and she did it to the vet,  he said NO sharply and she soon got the message. Then licked his face to say sorry  :luv:

She didn't lick his face to say 'sorry' as dogs have no concept of feeling remorse. She licked his face because she was afraid of him and she was trying to appease him so he didn't hurt her. That is not a way I'd ever want my dogs to feel. If your daughter was told to 'dominate' Bella using similar methods then she's probably afraid of her too.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 11:18:29 PM »

I disagree with this method strongly too I'm afraid. I've had two cocker puppies with young children and IMO this is NOT the correct way to establish a good trusting relationship between the children and the puppy.

Puppies and children generally don't work. Children excite puppies and are not capable of being consistent or putting up with the pain of puppy biting. I was given some seriously good advice by a dog behaviourist (not a vet that's been watching too much TV and never actually studied dog behaviour). If you have problems with your pup and your young child keep them separate until the pup has grown out of the biting stage. It's as simple as that. It's what I had to do with my second pup and he's now great with kids. He was kept separate in the kitchen with use of a baby gate until about 8 months old when he grew out of puppy biting. He was allowed supervised play with my 5 yr old son but when he got too excitable he was quietly put in his area to cool off. It seems like a long time and is a little inconvenient, but it's more than worth it to establish a firm family friend that you can trust and avoid any potential situations that could have long term effects on pup or child.

Trying to get a child to 'dominate' a dog is just asking for trouble - the child doesn't have the experience, knowledge or skills to do this and all you are doing is teaching a child to bully a dog rather than respect it, which is SO dangerous for both dog and child. I'm appalled that this was even suggested by a vet and just highlights again that it's sadly very rarely that vets give good behavioural advice.

Your pup will grow out of his current behaviour but it needs managing, not dominating - would you 'dominate' a 6 month old baby? Puppies need nurturing and time to learn what is acceptable - rewarding them for good behaviour will teach your pup how to fit into your family. Bullying it will teach it how to enter into conflict or worse.

Also with regard to the growling, as others have said she is learning how to communicate and also she will play growl. If she doesn't like being held don't force her.. hold her when she's comfortable with it and make it a fun pleasurable brief experience for her then she is more likely to want to do it again.

You need to gentle encourage a good relationship with a dog - as you do a child. It's not about showing them you are in charge it's about them finding a way to fit into your family that's enjoyable for them and you.

To give you some reassurance, my current cocker was an absolutely horrendous puppy he used to attack and bite even if I just said 'No' to him up until the age of 8 months. His reaction to fear or things he didn't like was to become aggressive and bite (on top of normal puppy biting and teething). He learnt how to behave acceptably because everytime he was biting too much or getting out of hand he was quietly put in a separate place from us and over the months he learnt that if he behaved how we wanted him to he got rewarded with attention and time from us. We now have a VERY sweet 2 yr old dog that's trustworthy with children, loves to please us because it makes him feel good and trusts us too which is SO important in a family dog. It's a good 'relationship' and we don't need to 'dominate' him  ;)

Lots of luck you do have a few months of getting your head down and managing her which is normal for all puppies, but rest assured that your pups behavior at this age is completely normal and if managed correctly and kindly you will have a lovely adult dog.

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 10:04:05 AM »
Brilliant advise from the above four posts. As already said your 11 week old puppy when growling is playing. My 6 and 3 year old dogs still 'play growl' with me when we are playing together ;)
Do not teach your puppy not to growl, it is a natural form of dogs communitacion. In circumstances when he growls when not playing he is, in a very polite doggy way, telling you he is unhappy with you/what you are doing. It is mearly a warning, if you choose to ingnore this warning, then your dog may  feel the need to take things a step further. If a dog growled at me, I would freeze, and do absolutely nothing. No walking away, no verbal chastisement, just stay still and avert my eyes - calming signals in your dogs language ;)

Have a look at these articles

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=2

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=1

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 11:48:21 AM »
Do not teach your puppy not to growl, it is a natural form of dogs communitacion. In circumstances when he growls when not playing he is, in a very polite doggy way, telling you he is unhappy with you/what you are doing. It is mearly a warning, if you choose to ingnore this warning, then your dog may  feel the need to take things a step further.

I agree with this, never punish a dog for growling, or the next time he finds himself in a similar situation there is a good chance he will not give a warning by growling but move right on to more severe ways of telling you how unhappy he is.

x In memory of Barney x