Author Topic: Very Sick Pup  (Read 8950 times)

Offline LucyH99

• Site Member
Very Sick Pup
« on: September 11, 2004, 07:42:26 PM »
:( Hello, I have just joined the forum after getting my gorgeous golden puppy Toby (8 weeks old) on Monday.  On Thursday lunch time, he was sick.  By 4pm he was very ill and is now at the vets on a drip with a virus of some kind.  Parvo has been ruled out (but symptoms are similar) and we were warned it was likely he would not make it through Thursday night.

He has made it through, but is still very weak and ill and cannot eat without vomiting.  The vets have done all they can and we are just waiting to see if he can fight this.  It is horrendous having to see him so ill.

Has anyone else had an experience like this, and have their babies pulled through?  One vet says it is optimistic he has made it til now, another says it is still very touch and go.  No one can give any reassurance at this stage (understandable) but the wait is unbearable.

Lucy
Lucy & Bee

Offline ruth_2_hot

• Site Member
    • http://janandnoel.com
Very Sick Pup
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 07:51:18 PM »
:( hi lucy , so sorry about your little one ,cant really offer any advice honey is only 6 mts old so im quite new to all this to , im sure someone on the forum will come along soon with some advice for you , i will keep you both 8n my thoughts and send you loads of love and hope everything goes ok and the babe keeps on fighting xxxxxx

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Very Sick Pup
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 08:41:54 PM »
OOhh Lucy, I'm so sorry to hear this - I do hope Toby pulls through - at least he's getting cared for in the right way. I'm sure the vet is doing everything possible. Jx

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Very Sick Pup
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 08:42:42 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your little one being poorly.....I hope he keeps fighting.
I don't have any advise, but at least if he is still fighting then it looks hopeful.
Would it be worth phoning your breeder to see if any of his siblings are ill.
I'm not sure if that sort of information would be useful to your vet.
I hope the news is brighter in the next couple of days.

Offline LucyH99

• Site Member
Very Sick Pup
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 09:01:45 PM »
Thanks for your messages.

I have spoken to the breeder on a regular basis keeping her updated on Tobys progress, but none of the other pups are ill.  She is keeping the one remaining pup with her for longer now before letting her go to her new owners after this.

The vets say he could have picked this up from anywhere, but that it would have been in his system before we collected him.  There may be no way of knowing what caused this, I just hope Toby survives.  It just brings home how vulnerable puppies are before they are vaccinated.  Ringing the vet tomorrow morning for an update  :( .

Lucy
Lucy & Bee

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Very Sick Pup
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 09:08:40 PM »
Hello Lucy,

So sorry to hear about little Toby, you must be so worried about him. :( But he's in the best place and fingers crossed he'll soon be home with you.

Will keep him in my thoughts, take care and if you need a friend there's many on COL :)  

Lizzy Molly and Evie

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Very Sick Pup
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2004, 09:13:18 PM »
Sorry to hear about Toby. Its really difficult when they are that small - you just worry about them so much.  Dallas was poorly when I got him as a puppy - had to take him to the emergency vet the day after I brought him home.   :(  Thankfully he didn't become as ill as Toby but he came very close to being hospitalised and being put on a drip. We never did get a definite diagnosis but we think it was just a case of bad gastroenteritis. He took about a week to get over it.

Will be keeping everything crossed for Toby. Do let us know how he gets on - hope he has another stable night tonight and is on the road to recovery very soon

Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

lynseyloo

Very Sick Pup
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 09:26:15 PM »
just wanted to add my best wishes for Toby, bless his little heart, be strong little one  :)  

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Very Sick Pup
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 09:40:07 PM »
Hi Lucy, so sorry to hear little Toby isn't well,    :(  fingers crossed he will soon be on the mend,  and be home again soon.    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
Very Sick Pup
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004, 09:56:16 PM »
Sorry to hear that little Toby is poorly.  Sending healing thoughts to him tonight.  Hope the news is better tomorrow  

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
Very Sick Pup
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 10:45:37 PM »
we can`t help with  having experienced this but we send you our love and prayers,you will both be in our thoughts,keep fighting little toby!!!! .you poor thing lucy, you must only have had him at home a few days what a nightmare,but he sounds like a real little fighter and we will keep everything crossed for a speedy recovery love,hugs and puppy licks
sue baxter and Alfie

ziggy

Very Sick Pup
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2004, 10:50:36 PM »
hi lucy,i really hope little toby will be okay,lots of love and best wishes to the little fella,and you too,
i,m sure all will be fine,keeping everything crossed for you,xx

ziggy jasper and mabel xxxx

Offline Sandie

• Site Member
Very Sick Pup
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2004, 12:18:40 AM »
Lucy,

Get your vet to check for campylobacteriosis!

Here are a few websites that someone sent me on the subject :-

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo...ylobacter_g.htm

http://www.dogstuff.info/dog_show_crud.html

Apparantly, the symptoms are very similar to parvo BUT the treatment is very different. The treatment for parvo may prove fatal if the pup is suffering from campylobacteriosis.

I was tipped of to this virus by someone whose son had lost an entire litter of 10 puppies within 96 hours.

I don't want to frighten you or upset you as this is not my intention, but it might be worth ruling out the possibility of this awful virus.

Hope Toby gets well soon, and you take care too.

Sandie, Aimee and Wesley xx

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Very Sick Pup
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2004, 12:23:27 AM »
So sorry to hear about little Toby. Please keep us updated on what is happening.  

Thinking of you.

Louise
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline PennyB

Very Sick Pup
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2004, 12:24:47 AM »
Hope your pup gets well soon.

There was a lot of HGE around last summer so I wonder if its that (haemorrhagic gastroenteritis), as it can also mimic parvo

HGE
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!