Author Topic: New Puppy Growling At Me...  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Bellbellsmum

• Site Member
    • http://
New Puppy Growling At Me...
« on: September 19, 2004, 07:24:04 PM »
Hi, can someone offer any advice. Our 9 week old puppy Bella whom we have had a week yesterday, seems to have had a personality transplant. She has gone from a placid pup who loves cuddles to being independent and mardy (moody) If we try to pick her up when she doesnt want to be picked up she has started growling at us.  She was fine all week, first she growled when the kids picked her up and now she does it to me and my boyfriend. He thinks its normal and that she has just had enough of being mauled by everyone.  I tap her on the nose saying NO! and put her in her crate for a time out. She then fell asleep and was fine.  Should we still pick her up if she growls? Or ignore it. She is still a baby after all.  I had a mad Airedale many years ago and he ruled the roost. I'm determined she will not be top dog. Help please!  Worried it may be RAGE SYNDROME
Laura and Bella (Bellyflops) xxxxxx

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 07:29:46 PM »
I think your boyfriend maybe right  ;)  It sounds to me that she is fed up being mauled. I know it's very exciting getting a new puppy, people coming round to see it, the kids get excited, but remember at this age your puppy will need to sleep alot of the time and it sounds like she is over tired  ;)
Get yourself a copy of "The Perfect Puppy" by Gwen Bailey, it's full of great information on how to bring your puppy up  :)

Offline Tidge

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 07:33:49 PM »
Hi, welcome to the world of dogs, they can be very unpredictable.

It is unlikely to be Rage Syndrome, more like overtired, overplayed with puppy syndrome.

I suggest you tell the pup off when she growls at you, and then get everyone in the house to leave well alone, allow the pup to approach you, as she will do when she's hungry enough.  She's probably missing her litter mates and mum.

Keep noise to a minimum, and only allow play with the pup when she's ready to, and I'm sure that after a couple of days of good rest, she will be fine, if not, call the breeder and maybe get the vet to check her out in case she's in pain.

;)  

Offline Bellbellsmum

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 08:10:39 PM »
Hi Thanks for the reassurance, feel a bit better about it now.  I've been telling them to leave her alone and I think I will start putting her in her crate for her own sanity when kids are here. (we have 5) only my daughters live with us aged 11 and 9.  But I think when the other 3 come over it is a bit too much for her.  She was asleep under the table when I was typing last post and I picked her up whilst she was asleep and she was fine, whereas earlier she would have growled at me.  I have bought the Perfect Puppy book which is excellent, but its always good to hear from other owners.  Thanks again  :D  

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 08:15:25 PM »
mardy (moody)
Haven't heard that word for a while LOL

I'd agree with the others that this is normal puppy behaviour considering the circumstances. Puppies will also go through demon biting behaviour and lots of other inappropriate behaviour but this type of aggression is most definately not rage (as this is something rare and altogether very different).

I wouldn't tap the pup on the nose or then put her in her crate (may be put her in her crate before the issue arises so she doesn't link it with punishment)

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 08:15:33 PM »
I think your boyfriend may have hit it on the head as well ;)  Growling could be her way of letting you know that she is feeling a bit overwhelmed and has had enough especially if she has no other way of communicating this.  When our 2 pups go into their crates or in the gap next to the chairs - my children are not allowed to disturb them - these are their little havens - they go to these areas for timeout.   I'd growl at my kids if they didn't let me rest :lol: Puppies need lots of sleep.  

When my pups growl I don't tell them off for it - I would hate them to stay quiet and  bite instead - missing out the warning or learning that growling gets attention -however negative.  I will instead look hard at the reason for it.  Bailey once growled when he had a bone - growling keeps my other dog away so he tried it with us - I didn't tell him off for it but I do approach him and his bone frequently with a treat or a piece of liver - he now gets excited when we go near his bone :) Bailey growled in the vets at a cat that stared at him constantly - he was clearly feeling stressed and anxious.  I ignored his growling but I did move to another chair.  Bailey relaxed and the growling stopped instantly - he wasn't being nasty he was communicating his discomfort.  Brogan growls all the time when we play tug o war - no matter how excited he gets he will give me the toy on command - this growling is controlled and playful.  I also thank Brogan if he growls when he hears a strange noise outside.

Wishing you much fun with your new baby  ;)  

Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 08:17:07 PM »
I have a 12 week old pup and he has a mind of his own to which is normal puppy behaviour  :rolleyes: although he hasnt growled at me yet, but when a dog growls its telling you im not comfortable with the situation so maybe its not a pup who likes to be picked up often. I dont pick up zorro alot but i sit on the floor and more than often he comes to me and climbs on me for a cuddle. I wouldnt put your puppy in its crate after you have told it off as you dont want it to think his crate is a punishment i would just ignore your pup for a little while after the event. They get tired i know zorros behaviour gets worse when he is tired and has a few mad momments but i ignore it and let him get on with it as long as he comes to no harm. During the day i put zorro in his crate for a sleep usually for about an hour and a half and that gives me some time to do a few things i need to do. I make zorro sit for everything so that he knows nothing is free he has to earn it and in there eyes it makes you the boss aswell but give it time im sure it be ok in the end :)

nicola (dillydolly)

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 08:26:20 PM »
Have a look at our FAQ on puppies and children - it should help ;)

http://cockersonline.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=2687

You might also want to look at the other FAQ's we have there - lots of useful info'n for the new puppy owner.

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004, 09:45:39 PM »
first she growled when the kids picked her up and now she does it to me and my boyfriend.
I think I tend to agree with your boyfriend, why do you all want to keep picking her up ?
If she was a large dog, you probably wouldn't even think about it  ;)
Find other ways of calling her to where you want her & if you want a cuddle, sit on the floor with her, you'll probably find that in time she'll forget she does it  :)  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Bellbellsmum

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 02:04:26 PM »
Yes I think you are all right. I had a lab years ago and she was too big to pick up. I suppose its just easier to pick her up and move her to where she should be than constantly calling her and getting annoyed when she looks at you like "yeah right, I SO dont want to go where YOU want me to go, I think I'll eat this pot plant instead" It's just been me and her today and she has been back to her usual self, thank god. Had this image of this black pup in a straight jacket being hauled away in a white van! he he thanks folks.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 12:43:15 PM »
Yes I think you are all right. I had a lab years ago and she was too big to pick up. I suppose its just easier to pick her up and move her to where she should be than constantly calling her and getting annoyed when she looks at you like "yeah right, I SO dont want to go where YOU want me to go, I think I'll eat this pot plant instead" It's just been me and her today and she has been back to her usual self, thank god. Had this image of this black pup in a straight jacket being hauled away in a white van! he he thanks folks.
...and also cockers are more stubborn/strong-willed than you probably experienced with your lab as well (cockers are up there with terriers for being strong-willed)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 06:01:41 PM »
Jovi was a growly boy when he was a small pup.. I saw it as him complaining when he didn't want picking up.  He has grown out of it, and although we had the usual puppy biting, he wasn't/isn't aggressive in any way.

When he plays tug he's growls really loudly, whereas my other boy is quiet.  They just all have very different personalities, and it sounds like your baby is letting you know early what she is feeling!
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 08:15:03 PM »
Is she growling or is she grumbling????

Fern and alot of our babies grumble to say 'i don't want you too'. It is very different to a growl which is a warning.

Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline Bellbellsmum

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2004, 04:49:09 PM »
Yeah I think you  may have hit nail on head. I thinks she is grumbling rather than growling. She doesnt bare teeth or anything just makes a growly rumble in her tum. more like a groan. Didnt know doggies did that.  She was on her own today for 3 hours and when we came home she went mental, jumping nipping weeing then barking at us to pay her attention. Hardly surprising really. I suppose she is just going to be very vocal. She is still a lully girl though. aaahhh. Thanks for your support folks kisses to all