Author Topic: New Owner  (Read 8758 times)

Offline nextavenger

New Owner
« on: July 01, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »
Hi!
I recently bought an English Cocker Spaniel who is just 37 days old. She is black in color and her name is Olive. I'm a first time owner and have never owned any pet before neither do any of my close relatives or family friends have any dogs or pets for that matter.

I was hoping people would be able to help me out, she is a bit dirty from the breeder, i got her yesterday actually and I've been told that she can't have any bath but a sponge bath with a savlon is alright, so should i do it ? Also she smells a lot, i know dogs are suppose to smell but should I use some kind of powder ?

I'm feeding her 5 times a day, she is pretty active but also sleeps a lot. My concern is that if she sleeps in evenings then she won't sleep in the night time. During the day time, we don't put her in the box but during the night time I do put her in the box and it seems she sleeps well in it. Its a brown carton box, with towel at the bottom and paper on top and also has a cloth and a stuffed toy in it so that she feels cozy in it. Last night we woke up twice because she had peed, so we took her out, changed the paper and then made her sleep again, this happened twice ? I'm assuming its alright ?

Also her milk teeth has come out and she feels little irritated since I'm assuming she wants to chew something, i got her chew bones but she isn't chewing them so what should I do ? because she starts chewing my toe nails :s

Any other tips would greatly be appreciated so please share them :)

Thanks

English Cocker Spaniel

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: New Owner
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 03:27:25 PM »
She seems awfully young :-\. Puppies shouldn't leave their mums until 8 weeks, unless I'm doing my maths wrong? A puppy's teeth should usually begin to fall out at about 17 weeks I think - have you taken her to the vets for her checkup?

x In memory of Barney x

Offline nextavenger

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 03:31:40 PM »
I dunno tbh what to do :s

Did the breeder cheat me or she is not 37 days old :(

I will be taking her tomorrow to the vet for general check up and basic shots whatever is needed
English Cocker Spaniel

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 03:31:53 PM »
She is way too young to be away from her mum and litter mates. :'(
i have no experience of pups under 8weeks so cant give advice on what to do but hopefully an experienced breeder on here could help you.
Why did she leave her breeders so young

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:32:53 PM »

I would guess form the pics she is around 5weeks. The breeder should never have given her to you that young and im sorry but it could cause alot of future problems

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 03:35:41 PM »

I would guess form the pics she is around 5weeks. The breeder should never have given her to you that young and im sorry but it could cause alot of future problems

I agree, there seems to be something very wrong here :'(. Really sorry, I hope someone will be along to give you advice.

x In memory of Barney x

Offline nextavenger

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 03:37:49 PM »
I hope she remains alright. First thing, i will be taking her to vet tomorrow for a general checkup. I think my breeder cheated me :/
English Cocker Spaniel

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »
I hope she remains alright. First thing, i will be taking her to vet tomorrow for a general checkup. I think my breeder cheated me :/

What did your breeder tell you about why she was leaving so young?
How long have you had her?
What do you mean when you say the breeder cheated you?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 03:41:51 PM »
How did you find her breeder? Did you see her mother and the rest of the litter? Is she Kennel Club registered? Sorry for all the questions but 37 days old is way, way too young for a puppy to be away from their mother :-\  From the photos I'd also say she's about 5 weeks which is still far too young. She should go to the vet for a check up but will not be able to have her injections for a good few weeks yet so you will not be able to take her out in public (unless you're carrying her) for quite some time.

Puppies do have a 'puppy' smell but should not smell dirty or of faeces or urine, it should be a clean, warm almost powdery or milky smell. She will not have lost any of her teeth yet, she probably hasn't even had them that long :-\  All puppies chew and all puppies will pee and poo in the house until they are properly house trained which can take weeks if not months. What are you feeding her?

Have you done any research or read any books before getting a puppy? There is a lot involved in choosing a puppy, puppy care and raising a healthy, happy dog. If you haven't I would recommend you get hold of a book like The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey as soon as you can and have a read of it.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline nextavenger

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 03:46:49 PM »
I did my research and all and I take good care of her, I have a helper who is 24x7 with me and stays at my place so he feeds her when i'm not around. I did my research and all but maybe it wasn't enough. Regarding this breeder, i did a lot of Google search and general reviews and he seems to be the best in my city apparently. I didn't really ask why he was giving her away so early, thought it was alright, i need to get her papers, she is registered to a kennel club.

She doesn't smell of poo or urine, we clean her well with a napkin whenever she has done having her food and all.

She sleeps a lot, i'm assuming since she is still so young, its alright ?
English Cocker Spaniel

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 03:49:15 PM »
nextavenger, could you confirm what country you are in? Your IP address is Indian & if you are in India, this may explain why the usual protocol has not been followed re the age of your puppy as I don't believe there is too much legislation covering puppy sales in your country (although there are some reputable breeders in your country of course)
Jane

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 03:50:02 PM »
She will sleep alot at that age yes.
Im sorry but there is no way you got her from a good breeder, you really need to look at the problems you could be facing in future with her being taken away from the litter so young.  :'(
I know this might not be a popular opinion at all but I would return her.
Any breeder that lets a pup go so young has probably not done everything in their power to give them the best start in life. Was the sire and dam health tested?

Offline I love cockers

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
Are you in the UK?

Personally I think she looks like an American cocker but maybe thats cos she is so young and small  :luv:. It does seem odd that you have been sold a puppy so young but you have her now so you need to the best for her and coming on her is a good start. Like everyone else has said it would be sensible to take her to the vet and get her checked over.

Not sure when you can bathe her but wouldnt have thought using powder is a good idea. Did you see where she was living before you picked her up?

What are you feeding her?

Its normal for puppies to sleep lots especially when they are so young - mine is 14 weeks old and sleeps for a few hours during the day and all night too (she slept more when she was younger)

Offline nextavenger

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 03:54:33 PM »
Yes! I'm from India and we don't have a strict laws or rules and regulations. I think I could have got conned but I will be doing everything to see she has a good life. I can't return apparently so I'm not going to say that I'm stuck with her. I asked him and apparently they are breeded in farms. I couldn't go there because its pretty far
English Cocker Spaniel

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 03:58:46 PM »
Yes! I'm from India and we don't have a strict laws or rules and regulations. I think I could have got conned but I will be doing everything to see she has a good life. I can't return apparently so I'm not going to say that I'm stuck with her. I asked him and apparently they are breeded in farms. I couldn't go there because its pretty far

That's a shame - it appears you have bought a pup from a puppy farm rather than from a reputable breeder (the Kennel Club of India actually has a Breeder scheme which prevents the sale of puppies before 8 weeks old, much like in the UK but your breeder won't be a member). You definitely need advice from your vet on feeding & other aspects of care as your pup will most likely need worming properly etc.
Jane