Author Topic: New Owner  (Read 8756 times)

Offline HeatherFeather

• Mavie
Re: New Owner
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 06:31:08 PM »
I think a pup that young is going to need to be on a milk replacer, in conjunction with puppy food- a regular puppy food on its own wouldn't have enough fat or protein or minerals for her.  In two more weeks maybe...but giving her a milk replacer now could make a big difference in her longterm health.

I haven't fostered any puppies yet, but a LOT of kittens.

If you can't get puppy formula, then you can use whole goat's milk.  You'd need to skim some of it, and add the fat back to some whole goat's milk. Keep the skim for yourself, and use the extra fattened for the pup.  Dogs and cats both have fattier milk than goats, I know that.  But goats have very small easily digested proteins in their milk so a lot of other animals take to it well. (steer CLEAR of cows milk)

She should be ok to lap the milk at her age, and not need a bottle.  While it may be tempting and fun to offer a bottle, it won't help her at all to learn proper eating, now that she's old enough to lap. (I have a cat who I let stay on a bottle too long and be darned, at 7 years of age, he still has trouble picking up kibbles, and will 'suck' soft food as opposed to licking it)

I would think its ok to completely bathe her, if you do it in a warm room, and do it quick.  Then wrap her up and keep her snuggled against you, changing to a new dry towel every so often, til she's dry.  I do this with kittens, they get messy from eating and when they poop, and its important to keep them clean so they will grow accustomed to being clean, and be a clean adult in turn.  If you don't keep them clean as babies...they sometimes don't end up cleaning themselves as an adult.  The breeder or puppy broker likely gave you that advice in good conscience based on their experience that if they bathe pups and put them back in a cage, they all catch a chill and get sick.  Its the snuggling part that is key.

I know its also good to keep them with you as much as possible- as in inside a baby sling or carrier, against your body.  Put her down to exercise when she's awake...but let her sleep on you or your friend.  She's an orphan and you need to take the place of her mom-baby dogs and cats need to be snuggled against other animals pretty much all the time until they're 7 or 8 weeks.  Its not just about warmth, its about the brain secreting the feel good hormones and chemicals that lead to proper brain development and normal functional personalities. Humans are the same way, but we just take that for granted.

If you can, find someone else who has pups near the same age, if you can socialize her with other pups at least every day...I'm sure it will help a lot.  I'd be very concerned about her personality development if I were you.  My last dog was a rescue, who came from a dog farm originally.  He was really sweet, but also had a terrible mean side, which inevitably put my family at danger.  Even if you can regularly socialize her with a gentle adult dog, it would be better than nothing.  I can't stress this enough.  Even with cats, the ones I fostered that were singletons, when I had no other cats....they turned out to be weird adults.  Not such a big deal with a cat, but with a dog, that could jeopordize your safety.  Ideally, you would have a calm gentle adult animal of the same species in the house before fostering an orphan.

Hopefully a breeder on here can confirm this thought too- A pup of 5 weeks may not normally poop on their own yet when they're with their mothers.  Mother cats stimulate the kittens to defecate and urinate by licking their genitals until they're 6 weeks.  Yes, they do begin going on their own at 4 weeks, but the mothers still do it sometimes for them at that age.  I don't know 100% but I think mother dogs do clean their bums for as long or longer than a cat does.  Its really important, even if she goes on her own most of the time to still do this, if that's the case, otherwise she might be setting up for bowel problems as an adult.  You basically just take a warm moist washcloth, and wipe the genitals gently from front to back, and 'it' comes out.  Then you put a little vaseline on after to keep the skin soft (the mother would use her saliva  ;) ).

Having a very young animal is and should be a LOT of work.  You can choose not to put in that amount of time, but the results may not be too good in the long run.

The good part is, the hard work only lasts for a few weeks.  In 3 weeks, she'll be just like anyone else's pup...just maybe need a little more socialization.

Congrats on your new baby and best of luck, hope my info helps!!!
~*~*~*In Puppy Love!!!!*~*~*~

Offline nextavenger

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »
I wasn't able to go to the vet today since it was raining heavily all day. I'm not giving her milk but I'm giving her Nestle Cerelac [ Wheat ] which is meant for infants with water. She seems to be liking it and I'm feeding her 5 times a day i.e.

6 AM, 10 AM, 2pm, 6pm and 10pm

Its very cold today so she has peed quite often, i think she is feeling cold. Whenever she sleeps, i put her in the box and cover her with a small blanket. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow so that i can take her to the vet.

I read a few threads here regarding bathroom training her, got some nice tips :)

Regarding socializing, i know a 10 months old labrador, do you think i should try socializing both of them ?
English Cocker Spaniel

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 07:30:23 PM »
I wasn't able to go to the vet today since it was raining heavily all day. I'm not giving her milk but I'm giving her Nestle Cerelac [ Wheat ] which is meant for infants with water. She seems to be liking it and I'm feeding her 5 times a day i.e.

6 AM, 10 AM, 2pm, 6pm and 10pm

Are you only giving her this Nestle Cerelac, nothing else? If so, this isn't really suitable for puppies - 5 week old pups need much more than this. Sorry to disagree with Heather but a good complete puppy food (well soaked in advance so that food is soft and mushy) is what our 5 week old puppies would be on as our litters are mostly weaned at this age (we aim for them to be completely weaned by 6 weeks old). Please, you really must get to your vet asap - presumably your vet will be able to supply you with some food if you are unable to purchase elsewhere. You don't have to worry about getting your pup to poop by the way - 5 week old puppies are more than capable of doing this by themselves without any assistance ;)

Regarding socializing, i know a 10 months old labrador, do you think i should try socializing both of them ?

No not yet- your pup needs to have all her vaccinations before mixing with other dogs. You will also need to take care when introducing to much bigger dogs - your puppy could be easily injured by a much heavier dog like a young Labrador (quite a clumsy breed when young)

Jane

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 08:13:16 PM »
Hello and Welcome, your little pup is really lovely and its good that she has found herself someone who is trying to do the best for her as the breeder obviously did not. About the bathing, I took my puppy to the vets when she was 8 weeks old as she had a smelly ear and he cleaned them out and gave her some drops and told me to give her a bath, I did not think you could bath a puppy at 8 weeks but he said it was fine and gave me some gentle shampoo. I would check her ears to make sure thats not where the smell is coming from.

I have no experience of a puppy younger than 8 weeks but you have come to the right place for good advice there are some lovely helpful people on here.
Good luck at the vets and I hope that Olive is a healthy puppy.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline HeatherFeather

• Mavie
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Nestle Cerelac?

I agree with Jane, stop giving her that ASAP. Its pretty much filler, with some iron and vit D if you're lucky.  Even for human babes, who need waaaay less fat and protein than dogs, that stuff is considered total junk food in healthy lifestyle circles.

I'm sure Jane knows way more about pups than I do ;) So get her on a high quality pup food asap.  My experience is with orphan kittens.  There are many ways to get a good outcome, but no way are you going to get it with cerelac.

Quality pup food will be close to this: protein 28% no less  fat 14% no less fibre 3.5% no more

If anything, the vet might have access to more specialized foods.  If you're in a big city, then you'll probably be ok to find something, but if not you might have to make something yourself.

Nutrition is very very important in fostering baby animals.

Offline nextavenger

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2009, 10:37:09 AM »
Hi Guys!
Just came back from the vet. Vet says she is normal and is healthy. She has flea in her right leg so he has said to start using little flea power, what do you guys say ? also she was de-wormed again by him.

We also have bought a nice medium round bed for her which is very comfortable compared to the carton. She instantly loved it and is sleeping in it. We bought some chew sticks for her teething which can easily be chewed by her. Doctor has recommended to start her on Pedigree. We will be feeding her pedigree twice and cerelac twice in a day so thats 4 meals a day. We have to soak the pedigree 30 mins before we feed her. This particular pedigree is for 'Weaning puppies between the age 6-8 weeks' so i think it will be good for her. Doctor says we can give her a sponge bath but its preferred to use something like wipes. Doctor also said she will be sleeping a lot which she does so its good :)

Her vaccinations will start from day after tomorrow. There will be one shot after every 21 days. In her second shot, he will also give her a shot for rabies.

So thats about it. Its really nice finding this site as it really helped me boost my morale and finding people who genuinely care for her.

English Cocker Spaniel

Offline cerinrich

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2009, 01:50:22 PM »
Oh she looks so tiny in that bed, bless her!

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2009, 02:01:03 PM »
Awww she is gorgeous  :luv:  :luv:
I hope she continues to thrive and I look forward to seeing pictures of her as she grows up

Offline LinzB

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2009, 02:07:53 PM »
Olive is  :luv: Good luck with her, and I hope she continues to do well, you certainly seem committed to her!

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2009, 02:08:15 PM »
Oh she is so tiny, bless her.  :luv: 

Did you mention to the Vets about her teeth?  I thought on a previous post that you said her teeth were falling out.  :-\   She shouldn't be losing any baby teeth for a long time yet, about 15-16 weeks.

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline nextavenger

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2009, 02:15:41 PM »
I did. These are her milk teeth, they aren't falling actually. They will though after sometime. She just feels itchy i think since she feels like biting things like my toe. I will be buying a teether meant for puppies so that she can chew it and feel satisfied :)
English Cocker Spaniel

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2009, 03:22:29 PM »
Good to hear she is coming along well. With regards to toilet training just make sure she goes out after every meal and sleep and every half and hour or so. It helps to use a cue word when she goes (we say wee wees :005: ) so that hopefully she'll go on command. Give lots of praise when she's been and don't punish accidents in the house, if you catch her going in the house put her outside so that she associates outside with toilet.
I'd try to get lots of human contact and when she's had her jabs doggy contact so that she isn't nervous.
I'd also vote for bathing is ok so long as it's gentle and not too often.
Remember that she is too young for lots of exercise so she doesn't really need walks yet  ;)
She is beautiful  :luv:  :luv:
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2009, 03:30:21 PM »
Did the vet recommend a flee powder as she is so tiny ?

Love her new bed she looks so tiny and sweet  :luv:

Offline amanda9586

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »
Awww she is lovely!!!  I hope you  keep it touch it will be lovely to see her grow.  :luv: :luv:

Glad she has been to the vets and all seems to be well!  Good luck you have got a lot of fun and love and pleasure ahead of you  :luv: :luv:

Amanda & Poppy x

Offline HeatherFeather

• Mavie
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2009, 03:46:23 PM »
That's great that she passed her vet check well :)

Make sure to read the side of the pedigree puppy food to double check that the fat and protein contents are high enough.  Sometimes even the best vets will recommend the food that they sell; and sometimes they sell what they can get the best profit margin on regardless of quality....cause hey, they gotta put bread on the table too.

I'm suprised the vet said to keep her on the cerelac for now?  Baby pablum is really not a very good food.  It fills the tummy up giving the full sensation, but doesn't provide the nutrients required for growth.

Olive looks absolutely adorable in her little bed!  I just LOVE black cockers. Good job on finding support online here for raising your pup. Keep up the good work!