Author Topic: would you recommend crate training?  (Read 1765 times)

Offline claire_cockerlover

• Limited Member
would you recommend crate training?
« on: July 03, 2009, 11:50:28 PM »
i have just begun to read up on this and it seems like a really good idea, how many of you use this method for training, and how did it go? thanks in advance  :blink:

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: would you recommend crate training?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 12:11:04 AM »
When I have young puppies they are crated at night and carried outside first thing until they can hold themselves, particularly for the "long" trip to the door, until I started carrying them we had a lot of accidents at the door or on the way  :005:

Quite honestly I don't know how I got my previous dogs housetrained before I started using crates!  :lol:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline nextavenger

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 03:04:52 AM »
I think its very important. I'm waiting for Olive to grow a little more big, she is just 40 days old. Once she becomes atleast 100 days, i will begin crate training since I will travel once in every 4 months and I would like her to come with me.
English Cocker Spaniel

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 08:03:31 AM »
Crate training is great IMO

Fern uses her crate as a bed and the door is left open (she's now 3 yrs old tho) but I still shut her in when we are getting the food shop in as it saves me from tripping over the nosey cocker who will locate the bag with the carrots in and try and eat them  :005:

It's also great if you want to go camping etc if they are crate trained - I use it more as a safe place and she is happy as she was used to it from an early age

Please remember tho - DO NOT leave a collar on your pup / dog in the crate

Offline laurianna

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 11:48:24 AM »
Hi, we used a crate for Bella when we had her, but apart from a few times, we never shut the door!  Just couldnt bring ourselves to do it all night, so we put her bed in it and put it accross the door of the utility room to reduce the space for poo and wee accidents! LOL if we needed her out the way we would shut her in and she was fine with it.  We get Maisie in 4 weeks and will use a crate but do the same with the door. I have read it is a very good way of toilet training but you have to be dedicated and be prepared to get up in the night to let her/him out for wee wee's.  I work and wasnt LOL so we would rather have a few accidents and paper trained instead. She was pretty much house trained by 3 months old, which isnt too bad I dont think.  Vigilance is the key, and use a training word for poos and wees. We say, "go wee wees" and she goes pretty much on command and knows why she is outside. Handy if its raining or snowing.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 12:07:31 PM »
I'm another massive fan. I think it's because of the crate that Brodie was toilet trained so quickly - she never once had an accident at night :shades:. Any future pup will be crate trained as well :D

x In memory of Barney x

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 01:17:14 PM »
I'm another massive fan. I think it's because of the crate that Brodie was toilet trained so quickly - she never once had an accident at night :shades:. Any future pup will be crate trained as well :D
Are all these new pups making you broody ;) Anything you want to share??? :lol2:
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »
Are all these new pups making you broody ;) Anything you want to share??? :lol2:

Oh I wish :lol2:. Definitely broody though and if it was even remotely possible to get another I would be round at the breeders in an instant :005:. Would love an orange roan :luv:. I did think Brodie had cured me from all this after being the puppy from hell (miniature crocodile syndrome) but it must have been so traumatic that I've blocked out the bad memories ::)

x In memory of Barney x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 01:54:25 PM »
Both Indie & Misha (girls) were crate trained and both took to it very easily. - Misha still loves her crate and is sleeping in it as I type even though she is 19months old.  Roly (boy) was also crate trained, but I have to say he wasn't a great fan, he put up with it, but he rarely goes in it on his own, he will if he has to though.

Made house training so much easier, and also if you doing a bit of house work etc, stops puppies getting under your feet.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline nextavenger

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 02:17:01 PM »
At what age did you guys start crate training ?

The thing is, i already have bought a nice bed for Olive, she is just 40 days old and now if i put her in the crate and start training, when she grows up, i don't think she will like the fact of giving up such a nice bed
English Cocker Spaniel

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 02:25:08 PM »
Started crate training from day one, put their bed inside, made it all nice and cosy and comfy, but just left the door open initially during the day.  Also fed all meals in there.  The first few nights I had pups in a box by the side of the bed, so that if they cried I could just stick my hand out to soothe them, or get up if they needed the loo.  1st night in the crate they all cried just for a few minutes but that was all and then slept through the night (all except Roly who was a very early riser!, usually about 3am).
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline chrisj1957

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »
We have 2 5 month old cockers who have been crate trained from day one.I never close the door but we have a hexagon shaped playpen that goes around the crate so they have room to play when we are out.At first we used training pads during the night but then we found them shredded in the mornings!!!! Now they hold it in all night from around 11pm until 6 am which I am told is excellent for 2 dogs this young.They go in stright way when we turn the lights off and get comfy.Nevar used this method with our last dog but can highly recommend it . Good Luck

Offline chris_NE

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 03:02:01 PM »
we've just gotten Murphy, he'll go in the create but not for a great deal of time, and i cannot shut the door or he'll cry, and he hasnt quite found his bark yet aswell. he's got a dog bed that he uses, but he prefers lying just under my feet through the day but goes into his bed when the light is off.

those puppy mats must be a good idea with dogs with no teeth! as soon as we put it down he was straight on it pulling it to bits! hes not to bad a peeing and pooping he'll go to the door and look at you, so we let him out in the yard. tends to be just though the nite when he pee's all over.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »
we've just gotten Murphy, he'll go in the create but not for a great deal of time, and i cannot shut the door or he'll cry, and he hasnt quite found his bark yet aswell. he's got a dog bed that he uses, but he prefers lying just under my feet through the day but goes into his bed when the light is off.

those puppy mats must be a good idea with dogs with no teeth! as soon as we put it down he was straight on it pulling it to bits! hes not to bad a peeing and pooping he'll go to the door and look at you, so we let him out in the yard. tends to be just though the nite when he pee's all over.

Crate training from a pup is easy - (says she who hated hearing the cries  ph34r )

I used to put Fern in her crate and shut the door and walk to the otherside of the room, then when she was quiet I would go back and open the crate door and praise and treat her

Then I slowly moved out the room etc, left her longer 1 min 3 min 5 min etc before I went back - BUT I would NEVER go back if she was crying as that sends them the signal that if they make enough racket that you will go to them and let them out

Offline chris_NE

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 04:05:11 PM »
it breaks my heart hearing him cry like. i think all try and perceiver with it. should pretty beneficial to the puppy