Author Topic: baby gates and puppy pens  (Read 1893 times)

Offline HeatherFeather

• Mavie
baby gates and puppy pens
« on: June 30, 2009, 03:55:44 PM »
Our house is a bit of an ongoing renovation project both indoors and out- though I do hope to see the end of the major work about a year from now....there are always places and areas that need to be 'off bounds' for my son, rooms that we just stay out of when not working, and parts of the yard where things are being built and vegetables being grown...

As such, I know that I need to be able to fence areas off, block off rooms and from time to time, fence the puppy in when he/she arrives.

I'd *like* to get an x-pen....but realized that for what you pay for they don't neccessarily provide a huge amount of space, and they can't be used as a doorway gate too effectively.

I already have 3 or 4 baby gates.....and I know that I can easily scoop up some more from thrift stores and friends who have recently finished having children.

I'm thinking of attaching a bunch of the wooden framed style gates together with hinges to make a large play yard that I can use indoors or out, and then maybe have a few sections that attach on with spring style hooks and eyes, so they can be used singly as a door gate as well. That way I can easily fold it flat to take in the car too if we go somewhere.

Do you folks think this will work? Should a baby gate be enough to contain a cocker pup?

~*~*~*In Puppy Love!!!!*~*~*~

Offline HeatherFeather

• Mavie
Re: baby gates and puppy pens
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »
Oops, can someone move this to the other puppy area  ph34r  sorry.

Offline bernie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 04:34:20 PM »
We used baby gates when our pups were very tiny and they worked for us. We also used a Baby Dan play pen and in fact we still use that for Ted to sleep in and for when we need a safe place for him in the kitchen at meal times etc, we also take this camping with us for Ruby and Ted to sleep in, for extra security for them. The Baby dan can be used as a gate or to section of a space too.  :D
Love Bernie, Ruby and Ted x

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 04:45:45 PM »
The puppy pen I got has 8 panels and can be put into a circle, octagon, an L shape using 2 other walls to create a big space, or in a straight line as a barrier ( about 5 metres long). It's been one of the best things I ever bought - I still find uses for it even though my dogs are all adults. I always take it when staying in holiday cottages too as you never know what might need blocking off, inside or out.

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 04:47:20 PM »

The puppy pen I got has 8 panels and can be put into a circle, octagon, an L shape using 2 other walls to create a big space, or in a straight line as a barrier ( about 5 metres long). It's been one of the best things I ever bought - I still find uses for it even though my dogs are all adults. I always take it when staying in holiday cottages too as you never know what might need blocking off, inside or out.
Sorry for butting in, but where did you get your pen Colin? :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 05:50:30 PM »
You can buy separate mesh panels from Croft on line, think some of the panels can have gates in them to make life easier.  Link below:

http://www.croftonline.co.uk/mcp/Showman_puppy_pens.html

I use them to fence off half the garden (only a small garden) for the dogs
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline allylou

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 05:55:53 PM »
Just a word  of warning but wilbur was able to scale our baby gate by the time he was 12/13 weeks - still not sure if i was annoyed or proud of him  :-\
Ally, Marley & Wilbur x

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 06:03:43 PM »
We too used the Croft puppy play pen and it was a god-send - we knew where Paddy was (most of the time except when he got his nose stuck to a newly gloss painted front door at 9 weeks! :lol:). Not cheap but very robust and safe. Have loaned it to several new puppy owning friends since.
Would highly recommend.
Lynne

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 06:16:46 PM »
We too used the Croft puppy play pen and it was a god-send - we knew where Paddy was (most of the time except when he got his nose stuck to a newly gloss painted front door at 9 weeks! :lol:).

I shouldn't laugh, but I can't help it! :005:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline HeatherFeather

• Mavie
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 08:26:34 PM »
Well, good to know that the gates might be a good place to start.  I have some little doors that I made from plywood too that aren't that pretty, but they were enough to keep back a grown ACD so I think they should hold a cocker in!

When you have a pen, set up on the floor, can't they just nose at it til it moves somewhere else? Do you need to wedge things up against it?

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 01:06:04 PM »
I bought baby gates and I still have them up as I dont want the little monsters roaming everywhere. It gives me some control of where they can go. I did not have a pen for Bella as a puppy we have a long kitchen so this was her allowed area with baby gates on the access doors so she could see what was going on. Make sure they cannot get through the bars though. I had to laugh at the pup who  scaled one, my two have not figured that out yet - luckily!!!
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 01:59:38 PM »

Sorry for butting in, but where did you get your pen Colin? :D

It was 6 years ago so I can't remember now but it's 36" high and similar to this one on Ebay - HERE.

Offline bluemoonrose

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 05:54:12 PM »
Yes we're using a baby gate, and have also bought a puppy pen.  It comes with 6 panels that can be linked together with metal stakes that you can secure into the ground, and the company we bought it from also supply additional panels.  We bought the 30" Height size.

We've been able to use it at the end of the side of our house to create quite a long run, but have also had it in different shapes as well.  We're pleased we have it as it means Ollie can safely play outside without us wondering what he's digging up.

Here is the link:

http://www.doghealth.co.uk/puppy.htm#Separate%20panel%20sets.

Hope you find what you need.

Offline Lynne L

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »
The Croft puppy pen is pretty robust - comes with plastic tray base which you can wipe down. Never had any problems with it being pushed over.
Lynne