Author Topic: Puppy Biting  (Read 1497 times)

Offline chris_NE

Puppy Biting
« on: July 04, 2009, 01:16:39 PM »
hi people,

me and my girlfriend have just got a angleic looking working cocker now named murphy, i have always been brought up with cockers but this is my first male dog. he's 8 weeks old and like to nibble fingers/toes/ bags.. i was going to ask some advice but i see there is another thread about puppys biting. anyone else got further tips ?

thank you

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Puppy Biting
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 01:41:09 PM »
hi people,

me and my girlfriend have just got a angleic looking working cocker now named murphy, i have always been brought up with cockers but this is my first male dog. he's 8 weeks old and like to nibble fingers/toes/ bags.. i was going to ask some advice but i see there is another thread about puppys biting. anyone else got further tips ?

thank you

Hi and welcome to COL :D

The best thing to do when he starts to mouth is to stop interacting with him. If he continues to mouth then stand up and walk away so that he learns that mouthing = being ignored. It could take a while to sink in and it may get worse before it gets better. If you are handling him make sure you have a toy you can put in his mouth so that he doesn't get the opportunity to mouth in the first place.... Make sure you have plenty of teething toys so you can redirect his chewing to something good - cardboard i.e. toilet roll holders are good too. Freeze a wet cloth to give him as this will soothe his gums, as will frozen carrots ;)

x In memory of Barney x

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Puppy Biting
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 03:39:49 PM »
I am going to have to read up this yet again - I remember Fern and Braan as puppies biting and boy it feels as tho it goes on forever when in fact it doesn't really

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=2016.0

Good luck with Murphy and enjoy him  :D  ooo and the puppy biting has nothing to do with him being a male  ;)

Offline muckypups

• Lifes easy when your a Dog
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
I am going to have to read up this yet again - I remember Fern and Braan as puppies biting and boy it feels as tho it goes on forever when in fact it doesn't really

:005: It is going on forever with mine, but he is getting slightly better with age  ::)

AKA Buddy

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 07:40:50 PM »

:005: It is going on forever with mine, but he is getting slightly better with age  ::)

nah it's not going on forever - just feels like it  ;) 

Offline debrand

• Site Member
  • My angels Barney 2004-08 and Jet 2005-09
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 04:35:43 PM »
We are going through this at the moment with Finn  >:D He has his mad half hour in the morning and at bedtime when he just wants to play and chew   ::)
He has a HUGE knotted rope that I thought was a daft thing to buy him but it is great for substituting for fingers and ankles  :005:
He will wrestle with it for ages like it is an anaconda-it is so cute :luv: :luv:

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 05:07:59 PM »

We had a huge knotted rope for Honey - she was never that interested in it, so I used to stick peices of kibble in to get her interested - it meant she'd spend ages chewing it (rather than our fingers, doors etc!!!).  Definately a good buy!!!  :shades:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline chris_NE

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 05:43:40 PM »
were into the second week of owning/being owned by murphy, his is already bored of the chew rope, he has a lil bean toy that he retreives, and now a oven glove and a squeeky bone which is the new chew toys. we have some carrots in the freezer for him. but he is getting better slightly.

am having a think about getting another pup in january. so we'l be going straight into this all over again haha

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 06:06:19 PM »
were into the second week of owning/being owned by murphy, his is already bored of the chew rope, he has a lil bean toy that he retreives, and now a oven glove and a squeeky bone which is the new chew toys. we have some carrots in the freezer for him. but he is getting better slightly.

am having a think about getting another pup in january. so we'l be going straight into this all over again haha

I wouldn't be thinking of another pup for at least another 18 months in all seriousness  :-\  An adolescent working cocker is a handful and needs consistent training - to add another one to the mix until your dog is mature IMHO is not advisable. 
helen & jarvis x

Offline chris_NE

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 07:00:18 PM »
i understand they require alot of work. other then the biting hes absoultly fab. looking forward to getting him to a puppy class
thank you for the advice. all defo take it into consideration.

Offline chris_NE

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 09:02:09 PM »
thank you very much jennybee the frozen carrot is a total success. nothing else we have tried has kept him this occupied and away from our feet and fingers during hurricane hour.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 10:06:08 PM »
i understand they require alot of work. other then the biting hes absoultly fab. looking forward to getting him to a puppy class
thank you for the advice. all defo take it into consideration.

There's a big difference in an 8 week old worker and a 10 month old one! Many people think that they have a perfectly trained, angelic puppy when they're 6 months old or so and then 3 or 4 months later they're left wondering where it's all gone wrong as their little angel does nothing they ask it to and runs rings around them!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline chris_NE

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 10:18:35 PM »
he's no way near perfect, but he's very well natured and good with meeting new people. and thats all i can ask for at the minute. av grown up with show cockers and i know how much hard work they require.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 10:20:02 PM »
he's no way near perfect, but he's very well natured and good with meeting new people. and thats all i can ask for at the minute. av grown up with show cockers and i know how much hard work they require.

have you had working cockers before too then?  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline chris_NE

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 10:27:35 PM »
unfortunately not, had the opportunity of a pup a few years ago, but decided it would be unfair to take her due to my job at the time.