Author Topic: Preparing for puppy Duggie...  (Read 6170 times)

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
Preparing for puppy Duggie...
« on: July 09, 2009, 04:05:06 PM »
I posted my checklist last week, and it appears I have everything I need for my puppy. I have been devouring old puppy posts and training articles until my head is bursting, and am as ready as I'll ever be.  :luv:

I didn't want to have to ask any questions until he is here as I wanted to see how things went first, but I have started wondering about something and can't find the answer in any old posts.

I have borrowed 2 crates, a large and a smaller one for my puppy. I was planning on having the large one downstairs with a blanket/vetbed, a bed, toys and water, so that Duggie can go into it for short times during the day, and building up to longer for when I have to go out. I was going to have the smaller one upstairs with blankets and toys in it, and it would be where he sleeps at night.

However, I have been thinking about it - would having two crates confuse him or should he really only have the one? Or would he be ok being taken up to the other one when I go to bed, bearing in mind he may already be asleep in the big one?  :P

Also, should I give him a set bedtime, or just put him to bed when he is tired/falls asleep?

I promised myself I wouldn't have any last minute panic about him coming, but here we are! ::) :005:

Oh, one more question (for now!) am I right in thinking he can have training treats such as livercake at 8 weeks old? (If so, I'm heading off to Asda to buy my first ever pack of liver! Yikes! ph34r)
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
Re: Preparing for puppy Duggie...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 04:10:59 PM »
Lenny has 2 crates and loves both  ;) It is a pain, honestly, carrying them up and down the stairs, so 2 is a good idea ( if your lazy like me)  :lol2:

We just let Lenny sleep whenever he likes, which is all night and most of the day  ph34r he is a lazy so and so  :005: He even sits down to eat  ::)

I cant see why you cant give livercake in moderation to a little one, I supoose its like introducing new foodstuffs slowly isnt it so they dont get runny bums.

When does he come home?  :luv:

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 04:13:27 PM »
When does he come home?  :luv:
Tomorrow! ph34r :lol2:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 04:18:27 PM »
Oooooh exciting  :D Have you charged your camera up for us  ;) We want millions of pics as soon as he arrives home  :luv: Little black boys pull on my heart strings  :luv:

Go buy some proplus to keep you going  :005:

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 04:49:46 PM »
Eeek one more sleep!!!!

I agree with Patsy, two crates is fine and livercake in moderation is fine.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 05:11:22 PM »
TOMORROW!!  How exciting  :luv:  I only had one crate, but Murphy already slept downstairs so the decision was made that Maddi and the crate would be down there as well from day one.  I would put pup in crate when sleeping, Maddi loved hers.  I still use it to block the mail at the front door if I'm going out and I often find her in there sleeping, she's two now  :luv:
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »
Awwww good luck for tommorow, take lots of tissues its very emotional taking them home esp. with your recent loss. I just cried buckets, the breeder was crying my OH was crying, though pretending not to ph34r
I think I felt guilty taking from his mum :huh: as soon as we drove off though I felt really excited and when we got her home and she got in Georgie's basket we felt 'whole again' and I know Georgie would have approved. Enjoy your day, looking forward to all the Duggie pics, you know I love black cockers :luv: :luv: :luv:Jo and Belle
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 06:10:50 PM »
YEY! HOW exciting  :luv: :luv:

2 crates is fine and you'll gradually find a way that works for all of you so go with the flow and what feels right and you'll be fine  :luv: :luv: :luv:

So can't wait to see some pics, good luck!

Hannah xxx

PS. Don't feel bad if he screams all the way home.. Dave made the most horrendous racket for about an hour then fell asleep and was absolutely fine when he woke up again and has never been bothered about anything since. :005:  :luv: On the flipside, Trev never made a peep but gazed into my eyes all the way home.. then screamed all night and worried about a lot of things for the rest of his life and NEEDED cuddles or to be crazy 24x7 :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline 1sttimecockermum

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Looking forward to hearing all about Duggie's arrival tomorrow - lots of pics please   :D  Try and get a good nights sleep tonight if you can - Dennis howled for the first 3 nights when we bought him home   ::)  :luv:
Owned by Dennis the Menace and Ruby Dooby Doo

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 07:20:32 PM »
Best of luck for tomorrow - if you have a way to go, how about stopping for a snack on the way, so at least if will keep your strength up with all the activities of the day  ;)

Not sure about the livercake
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline starboy

• Site Member
  • Theo and Apollo
    • Starboy
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 07:38:36 PM »
No tips about the crate but just remember that Theo loved his.

Good luck for tomorrow, I feel excited for you. :blink:
From the Darby family

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 07:45:56 PM »
Yay!! Welcome home little Duggie!!  :luv: :luv:

I used cheese as treats for Harvey who seems fine-apart from that slight twitch that he has  :005:

I bet you're sooooooo excited. Keep a jumper and some flip flops by the back door ready for those toilet breaks. Hope you've got the camera charged and ready to go!! Have you got him a collar yet?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 07:49:23 PM »
Good luck for tomorrow, how exciting!! :D :D  Can't wait to meet Duggie on Sunday :luv:

Having two crates should be fine, Rodaidh had two and it made life much easier, I didn't fancy collapsing his big one every time I had to move it so the smaller one was really handy. Regarding bedtime I don't think there's a right or wrong on that but I try not to let my lot get into too much of a set routine for anything as it then means that if for whatever reason one day I can't do x thing at x time they don't get upset about having their timetable disrupted. Plus it means that they don't mither me for food and/or exercise at certain times. I keep things between a certain time scale e.g. dinner between 6 and 7.30pm but that's about as exact as it gets. Waking him up when you go to bed will be a good opportunity to take him out for a(nother :005:) pee anyway. 

Livercake, tuna bread etc. can be given from 8 weeks but I'd be careful for the first day or two as it's really easy for them to get an upset stomach at first, even the change in water can do it! It's usually nothing to worry about but to be on the safe side I'd just stick to his usual food for the first day or so.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 07:52:49 PM »
Fiona I am excited for you! Bet you won't sleep tonight. Good luck, hope you have a pleasent journey and he settles in to life with you easily.
Claire

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 09:08:57 PM »
Just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow! Can't wait to meet this little cutie :luv:

x In memory of Barney x