Author Topic: New to this forum so hello from me.  (Read 5603 times)

Offline mcphee

Re: New to this forum but I can train dogs
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 03:12:13 PM »
Welcome. I have Rufus who is a 4 year old worker and obsessive hunter of anything furred or feathered and in urgent need of understanding the concept of recall on my command, not his whim. What a shame you are so far away, you might be more understanding than my present trainer!

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 04:18:30 PM »
Hiya,
I train dogs too- to jump in the air when they're not getting enough attention and to swim off down canals chasing birds, planes and any real form of aviation.  :005: :005: My working cocker is going through a trying stage and I'm pretty useless  :005:

Welcome to COl our new best friend  :shades: :lol2:.
:005: :005: Ditto

Offline mcphee

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »
Hiya,
I train dogs too- to jump in the air when they're not getting enough attention and to swim off down canals chasing birds, planes and any real form of aviation.  :005: :005: My working cocker is going through a trying stage and I'm pretty useless  :005:

Between us we could put on quite a show with our pupils! ;)

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 04:28:58 PM »
Hiya,

Between us we could put on quite a show with our pupils! ;)

:005: :005: It's taken alot of effort to get him as mad and as cheeky as he is today.  :shades:

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 06:35:07 PM »
I live in South Yorkshire, I have had one to one lessons and attend weekly gundog training lessons with DLK and other than that I am not related to him in any way  ;)

I have to say for those who asked about his training methods, and it's just my opinion as someone who would not let anyone do anything in the least harsh to their cocker, I find him firm but fair (that's why I parted company with the first trainer).

He has other dogs himself which he brings to group training and to private lessons if you want him to and each is directed with a really calm approach and soft voice.

He's not the first trainer I had a lesson with and I'm not advertising for him, but anyone who reads back through my posts will see how I've progressed from before I bought my pup and to how I struggled to find a trainer in my area whose methods I like, (Top Barks excluded of course, your methods are to my liking but I needed other gundogs). DLK has experience in the field and I like his training methods, thats not to say everyone will but I am the first to complain when things aren't right. He's getting his first cocker (has trained them but up to now owned springers and labs), welcome to the forum DLK. We can pick your brains and you can pick ours :D
Milly

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 09:20:40 PM »
I always welcome another trainer on to the forum, the one thing with dog training is if you put ten trainers in a room they will only agree that the 11th is wrong. I just got the impression some members thought DLK's title for this thread came across as a bit flash and arrogant possibly. ;)
I know for a fact that some of the old heads on NOBS thought the same about me for having a string of academic qualifications in my signature when I was on there briefly.
Hey ho. :lol2:
There are many methods to train dogs and I personally take bits I like and discard any rubbish. Having looked at DLK's website I am impressed at some of what I read and didn't see anything that jumped out at me as bad.
Glad you enjoy your lessons Milly and the fact you reccomend DLK must mean you value his services.
I'm glad you have found a trainer who has helped with what you needed.
So welcome indeed DLK and I do hope you can provide advice to the members of this forum based on kind and effective methods.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 09:46:39 PM »
I always welcome another trainer on to the forum, the one thing with dog training is if you put ten trainers in a room they will only agree that the 11th is wrong. I just got the impression some members thought DLK's title for this thread came across as a bit flash and arrogant possibly. ;)
I know for a fact that some of the old heads on NOBS thought the same about me for having a string of academic qualifications in my signature when I was on there briefly.
Hey ho. :lol2:
There are many methods to train dogs and I personally take bits I like and discard any rubbish. Having looked at DLK's website I am impressed at some of what I read and didn't see anything that jumped out at me as bad.
Glad you enjoy your lessons Milly and the fact you reccomend DLK must mean you value his services.
I'm glad you have found a trainer who has helped with what you needed.
So welcome indeed DLK and I do hope you can provide advice to the members of this forum based on kind and effective methods.
Mark

hit the nail on the head Mark - my comments were based on what DLK has written here, and yes I did think that they sound a bit flash and arrogant - such is the danger of the written word  ;)

Have no reason to dispute his methods as I haven't experienced his training, and look forward to seeing what he contributes to the forum.

I for one think that a Kennel and run is a great prize - I'm always thinking of where I can put OH where he snores... :rofl1:
helen & jarvis x

Offline DLK

• Kirkbourne Gundogs
Re: New to this forum
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 10:24:13 PM »
How foolish of me to not think about what I write, I'm sincerely sorry if I offended anyone that was not my intentions.

I guess I was like a SAS man jumping in and shouting GET DOWN IM HERE.

Silly me. 

DLK
To gain respect we must give it.
www.kirkbournegundogs.co.uk

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
Re: New to this forum so hello from me.
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 10:29:40 PM »
Be as silly as you like- you cant be any worse than me!!!!  Hi I'm Lisa and have a (nearly) 2 no where near trained worker and I am sure I will be trying to pick your brains soon as we are going through a late case of the KEVINS!!!  Cant wait to hear all about your pup when you get it and would love to see some pics of your other dogs
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Welcome!  :D Always a pleasure to have some gundog people here. I had a very birdy little bitch that I trained--got her steady to wing and shot but she didn't always want to give up the bird  ph34r :005:

Now I have a male I keep threatening to start; just a matter of getting my lazy *** moving   ph34r ::)

I'm not new to this forum but I can do handstands.....

Think we'll need photographic proof of that  :lol2:
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
Re: New to this forum
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 10:33:31 PM »
How foolish of me to not think about what I write, I'm sincerely sorry if I offended anyone that was not my intentions.

Silly me. 

Personally I didn't take your title that way at all. I took it as a...I'm new to cockers but know about dogs...and nothing else  :huh: I look forward to picking your brains  :D
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »

Silly me. 

Personally I didn't take your title that way at all. I took it as a...I'm new to cockers but know about dogs...and nothing else  :huh: I look forward to picking your brains  :D

Same here  ;)

Welcome to COL, I look forward to following your progress on getting a pup!

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 10:45:55 PM »
 ;) Hi and welcome to COL

I  have a show type cocker,but will be interested in your posts when you get your cocker as my daughter has a worker !

( for what it's worth, your previous title didn't offend me either  ;)

Jann and Flo  :D

Offline DLK

• Kirkbourne Gundogs
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 10:53:49 PM »
Thanks for your comments so far its nice to have a good welcome but my fault I did a slide in like a brake dancer.

I will help anyone with any problems with training their dog.  Im passionate about gundogs and love helping people.  Im currently building a training DVD.  I was asked on another forum what is the difference from mine to other DVDs.

My response was, I will show you all the out takes but the out takes will be the DVD.  It takes such a long time to do though.  I have a cameraman who films for SKY and Yorkshire TV he is great and knows his stuff.  We did 3 hours filming and got 27 minutes of it.  I have just recently got a ESS english springer spaniel.  She is only 14 weeks old so I will be using her for filming.  I have had lots of offers for film star dogs LOL but im sure I will find enough stuff to film with mine alone.

I will also use the cocker when it arrives >:D.

Am i ok to post photos on here or do i need to put them else where?

DLK
To gain respect we must give it.
www.kirkbournegundogs.co.uk

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 10:55:44 PM »
Hi and welcome.
I've got Milly, a working cocker (but yet to start formal training).
Would be grateful for any tips as I'm a complete novice!

Jo & Milly xx