Author Topic: Any computer boffins?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Any computer boffins?
« on: August 04, 2009, 07:36:14 PM »
My laptop went in to be repaired last month with a suspected fan problem. When I went to pick it up, the guy said he had installed some anti-spyware etc etc.  Got it home and all working fine until 2 weeks ago when I had to reboot for upgrades (I don't normally shut the laptop down) and it came u8p with a black screen saying "invalid system disk. replace disk and press any key". This had never ever come up before and after a search online, I saw that pressing F8 could bypass it. So I did, and it did! I've just had to reboot again tonight but the magic F8 button isn't working and nor is any other key  :lol2:

I will be phoning the shop once they open tomorrow lunchtimje but just wondered if anyone had any ideas on what the problem could be?  :huh:  Its 18 months old now so don't want to continue shelling out money to repair it but had hoped I'd get a bit longer out of it  ::)
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline kirstyb

Re: Any computer boffins?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:25:09 PM »
Your best bet is to wait until the shop opens and let them deal with it.

The problem is caused when the PC cannot find the boot sector to boot the operating system. This is caused by a failed update or a failing hard disc drive. From your description, it sounds like the former, so you will need to boot into Safe Mode (if possible) by pressing F8 and perform a system restore to a point just before the failed update(s). If you are unable to access this, then leave it to the experts as you are likely to cause more damage by attempting a fix yourself.

Good luck.  ;)
Sam and Pepper's Mummy

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 09:52:28 AM »
Apparently it was because I rebooted with my memory stick still in the usb port  :huh: 

Offline kirstyb

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 11:34:59 AM »
Apparently it was because I rebooted with my memory stick still in the usb port  :huh: 

That would make sense if the laptop is set to boot from USB before the main Hard Drive. You can change the boot order in the BIOS is you really want to, or just remember to remove the stick!

Glad you got it sorted.
Sam and Pepper's Mummy

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 03:49:39 PM »

I had the same sort of problem with my old pc if I left a floppy disk in. Annoyed and worried the life out of me the first time but soon learnt after that.  ;) :lol2:

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 09:39:29 AM »
Oh that happened once at work - I went in first thing, put the main pc on and absolutely pooped myself thinking I'd brought the entire system down  :lol2:

My usb modem stick is in all the time so didn't even contemplate an issue but lesson is well and truly learned now!