Author Topic: Eating habits  (Read 453 times)

Offline jontom

Eating habits
« on: August 13, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »
On one level I am not complaining, but my 14 week old pup doesn't seem to be a great eater. He is a nice size, a good pooper with good coat and teeth and seems to be maintaining this. When I bought him he was on 3 feeds. I have continued with the diet that he was on, he only takes a little of each meal. I once gave him a feed in the morning and a feed in the evening (the same amount that he would have had over 3 feeds) - he devoured the lot. What do I do?

Offline I love cockers

Re: Eating habits
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 05:39:17 PM »
sounds like he may do better on 2 meals a day or was it after a few days of not eating much and he was just really hungry? puppies have small tummies and need feeding little and often - are you preparing the food in the same way as the breeder did? - mine prepared it really soft and mushy so i did that for the first few weeks and gradually soaked it less. What food are you feeding? and do you remove the food bowl after 15 mins if he doesnt eat it?

I fed my pup 4 meals till she was 4 months old and will give her 3 meals till she is 7 - 8 months before i drop it to 2. the breeder said she would tell me when she didnt want so many feeds but she is very greedy / keen eater and think she would eat all day long if i let her

Offline jontom

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 07:41:43 PM »
I do remove the feed after 15 mins. He just seems to be a very picky eater. I followed advice of breeder and have slowly moved him to dry meals rather than a mix (whilst retaining the breeders chosen feed of wafcol). If i give two feeds the bowl is always empty. If I give three separate feeds he always leaves food....and it is always the same amount over the course of a day

Offline I love cockers

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 07:46:31 PM »
If hes getting his daily quota in the two meals i wouldnt worry about it and just give him two meals then.

Offline mcphee

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 08:06:17 PM »
Rufus was a tricky eater in terms of amount ( but he was like a whippet in build til he was 2) until I put him on Naturediet puppy. Even then, he did not eat as much as his friends. As he was fit and healthy and very active, i assumed that that was just what he was like.