Author Topic: Does your puppy bite your ankles? The Solution!  (Read 6155 times)

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
Re: Does your puppy bite your ankles?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2009, 10:47:38 PM »

It does get you down when it's constant and you just want to have fun and play games without ending up black and blue, but the intense biting will stop soon i'm sure.. although I still find little bruises and scratches all over my arms and legs when excitement gets the better of him! :lol2:

Yes I found it incredibly hard with Brodie, she was a horror >:D. I couldn't even pet her without becoming victim to those teeth. She had me in tears several times, but she has turned into the most loving dog anyone could ask for (if a bit mad :005:), so it was worth it :luv:

I know how you feel.. I was convinced that Billy had 'rage syndrome' one night and my hubbie had to come home early because I was crying so much!  :'(  We'd only had him 3 days and looking back now it was such typical puppy behaviour!

I read time and time again that what she was doing was completely normal but I still convinced myself there was something wrong with her ph34r. I am just soooooooooooooo glad it's over now and I can watch with sympathy from the sidelines :005:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2009, 10:57:58 PM »
It is most peculiar, cos I can remember both Smudge and Katie in their turn stopping, I can't remember when it happened, it just happened and they both would purposefully lick instead of attempt to bite.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 10:58:52 PM »
I read time and time again that what she was doing was completely normal but I still convinced myself there was something wrong with her ph34r. I am just soooooooooooooo glad it's over now and I can watch with sympathy from the sidelines :005:
I used to work with puppies, so I know that Duggie is just being a normal pup, but I think it's the 24 hourness of it that gets a bit wearing, I just want to give him a pat on the head without risking losing a finger! :lol2:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 11:22:14 PM »
I used to work with puppies, so I know that Duggie is just being a normal pup, but I think it's the 24 hourness of it that gets a bit wearing, I just want to give him a pat on the head without risking losing a finger! :lol2:

I think I was a bit more paranoid than I should have been with Brodie as my last dog had had behavioural problems and I thought the same thing was happening again ph34r. I knew there was nothing wrong with her but there was still this little voice putting doubts in my head ::). I totally sympathise with you as Duggie sounds pretty much like puppy Brodie, I'm actually surprised I still have my fingers :lol2:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009, 12:00:35 AM »
Aw Fiona, my first cocker was a normal bitey pup, but was a complete ****

I resorted to putting a baby gate up and keeping him separate from us a lot of the time because he was litterally killing my son >:D When he became 8 months he changed, virtually overnight and is a total softee now. He did have a puppy tooth growing in the wrong place and causing him some pain - his biting, attacking and growling all stopped when his adult teeth were through. It's worth checking Duggies teeth are all in the right place, but even if they're not, the vets often recommend leaving them.

So feel for you I still remember the pain :lol: :-* :-* :-*

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 09:08:23 AM »
I used to wonder if Jasmine was crossed with a crocodile!!!
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 10:22:43 AM »
Does he have lots of chewies Fiona?  Our little Ollie was a real monkey for the biting....  We bought him all the usual bone type chewies, and he wasn't interested until we got him the flat white coloured dental chews.  Perhaps little Dougie is really teething badly.

Poor you....those legs look awful.   But...hey, on the bright side you now have those wonderful slippers.
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline AnnieA

• Donator
  • Ted!
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 12:59:10 PM »
Ouch! That looks painful, Fiona!  :o

No ankle biting here, so far.  I'm still wearing my flip flops.  :D  What he does like is anything that dangles down from shorts/trousers - any drawstrings or bits of pocket he can get hold of.

I'm sure he is just lulling me into a false sense of security and is about to turn into  >:D puppy!

Hope the slippers do the job!  :D

Sleep tight Henry, our little snuggle puppy :luv:

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2009, 01:46:38 PM »
It's worth checking Duggies teeth are all in the right place, but even if they're not, the vets often recommend leaving them.
I've checked them loads of times, especially when I've been threatening to remove them from his mouth! :005:

I used to wonder if Jasmine was crossed with a crocodile!!!
Duggie's nickname is "Puppy Gnash Gnash". ::)

Does he have lots of chewies Fiona? 
Yes, he's got tons of them, he chews on them quite happily until I move. :005:

I wasn't complaining about him, he's completely normal (!) I was just wondering what reinforced leg protectors everyone else wore! :lol2:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2009, 03:34:03 PM »
Don't forget the pickie of you in those slippers.....

At least you are a well informed puppy Mummy Fiona, and understand that this happens.  Not that it helps the pain levels....
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2009, 06:11:24 PM »
Oh yes, there will be plenty of pics of me in my slippers - and of Duggie and Lance in their matching dresses! :lol2:
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 07:29:08 PM »

I never had a problem with ankles when Honey was a pup.... as I live in DM boots anyway!!!  :005:

I did resort to wearing an old pair of tracky bottoms over whatever trousers I was wearing so it didn't matter how many more holes she put in them when I was trying to walk away from her with her attached to my trouser leg!!!  :005:  ph34r  >:D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline kirstyb

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 08:53:21 PM »
Sam done this too!  >:D It seemed to be more me than the males in the house. Even ripped a branded new pair of jogging trousers!  >:D
I thought I couldn't go through anymore of this! Then a neighbour had a older puppy told us about carrying around toys which worked a treat  :D
Didn't have to buy anymore trousers  :005: So maybe toys is the answer?
Sam and Pepper's Mummy

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2009, 08:59:13 PM »
Who carries the toys, me or Duggie?! ;) :005: I sometimes manage to get from one part of the house to another by waving a newspaper or a toy at him and he attacks it instead. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x

Offline mcphee

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2009, 10:42:30 AM »
Who carries the toys, me or Duggie?! ;) :005: I sometimes manage to get from one part of the house to another by waving a newspaper or a toy at him and he attacks it instead. :D
Oh Duggie Duggie. Cut mummy some slack. Can you set up a video camera Fiona, we need to see a day in the life of Duggie to make sure he is not being unfairly accused.