Author Topic: 2.15 am  (Read 1513 times)

Offline polo

2.15 am
« on: August 21, 2009, 02:20:25 AM »
 >:D its 2.15 am i am sat here watching my little bundle of fun sleeping .trouble is every time i leave room he starts the most heart rendering crying. oh well i slept on wed night >:(

Offline lizze24

Re: 2.15 am
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 04:13:16 AM »
aw polo bless...how long have you had puppy and how old

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 05:53:29 AM »
... and pics are mandatory!!!!!!

Welcome to COL!

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 07:31:03 AM »
Welcome to COL. Another sleepless nighter here, although gradually getting a bit better. I have 10 week old Louis and he sleeps about 5 hours at night, sometimes a bit less and once a whole 6 hours  :banana:

What is your puppy called and can we see some photos please?

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 08:44:02 AM »
Holly's an angel  :005: sleeps all night since we got her saturday, usually from 11pm till 7am.....apart from last night ....2am she wanted out for a poop...then biscuit...bed...not a peep untill 7am  ;)
We were told to ignore all night time yapping/squeeking etc as buy giving it recognition you are just reinforcing it, and the pup is getting what it wants, I guess were just lucky as Holly's quite happy to have a play and chew with no noise....so far....   :shades:
I also ignore her day time sqeeks when she wants into the livingroom, I only let her in when she's quite.

Offline sharonmansfield

• Donator
  • Bluebell and Jasmine
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 09:02:10 AM »
oh dear, I bet you are shattered today. It will get better with time.
Welcome to COL and yes you have to put on some photos so we can all drool over your puppy.
Cocker Spaniels are like chocolates you can never have just one!

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 10:19:38 AM »
Hi and welcome to COL.

It is sooo difficult to ignore them - specially when they look so little and sad (I know in me head tho - they are crafty. wheedling little monkeys  :005:)

If possible you will have to catch up on sleep when/if she crashes out herself.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline terwish

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 10:49:50 AM »
Hi there - new puppy owner here too!

I certainly don't claim to have all the answers (sometimes none of them!) but one thing I was recommended to do - and it works with Pickle who's now 9 weeks - was to get her a big soft floppy toy - in her case it's a huge (twice Pickle's size)soft dog - to sleep with.  It gives her something to cuddle up to - and even in only a week has become her trigger for recognising it's sleep time!

We proved it works by accident when I left it out of her cage when I took her out in the car and she whined and barked incesantly, once I realised what I done, I put "big-pup" (as it has become known :embarassed:) into her carry- cage and within seconds she calmed down snuggled up and went to sleep! :D

It's also really useful because wherever she is she seems to now know that big-pup=sleep time. :luv:  Best £2.50 I ever spent in a charity shop.

Maybe your pup is missing brothers/sisters/mum etc - Might be worth a try!

Offline AnnieA

• Donator
  • Ted!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 12:42:22 PM »
Oooooh - 2:15 - painful!

I'm afraid we're evil - we don't get up to Henry at all.  Before he arrived we had planned to get up to take him to the toilet, but when we tried that he just learnt to cry every hour.  I then remembered that if I don't get enough sleep I'm a danger to myself and others!  ph34r

Now there's just a bit of whimpering when he first goes into the crate, and then not a peep until we start crashing around in the morning, about 7am.  One day last weekend, we all slept in until 8am!  There's usually a small puddle on the puppy pad, but no poo.  :D

I know that getting up to them works really well for a lot of other people though.  :D

Sleep tight Henry, our little snuggle puppy :luv:

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 01:51:50 PM »
It's best to ignore the crying unless they're crying to go out for the toliet, they soon settle down, although you will feel evil. :005:

I stay up very late with Duggie sleeping beside me on the couch, as I hate to be wakened up, so he has his last pee around 1.30am, gets put in his crate, then he gets up anytime between 6-7.30am, so it's not too bad. :D
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline LindseyB

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 09:07:47 PM »
I think we must be very lucky, Billy has only ever got us up before 7am since we got him (the first night).. and he's quite happy to go through the whole night without any fuss.  :luv:
We have a teddy dog too (called Dexter), and he loved snuggling up to him when he was little. Now I think he just plays with him if he's awake, but dexter always goes in the crate at night and when we go on car journeys for company. Worth a try if it helps.. has to be a big one though for proper snuggles :blink:

ps we also ignored his whines from day one (even though it broke my heart) when he first went in the crate at night, and he learnt quickly this wouldn't get a response from us.. now he doesn't do it, unless he can hear us hovering outside the door! Amazing how they sense your presence (or maybe smell your presence!)

Offline vikki.k

• My gorgeous boys
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 10:10:41 PM »
Hi there - new puppy owner here too!

I certainly don't claim to have all the answers (sometimes none of them!) but one thing I was recommended to do - and it works with Pickle who's now 9 weeks - was to get her a big soft floppy toy - in her case it's a huge (twice Pickle's size)soft dog - to sleep with.  It gives her something to cuddle up to - and even in only a week has become her trigger for recognising it's sleep time!

We proved it works by accident when I left it out of her cage when I took her out in the car and she whined and barked incesantly, once I realised what I done, I put "big-pup" (as it has become known :embarassed:) into her carry- cage and within seconds she calmed down snuggled up and went to sleep! :D

It's also really useful because wherever she is she seems to now know that big-pup=sleep time. :luv:  Best £2.50 I ever spent in a charity shop.

Maybe your pup is missing brothers/sisters/mum etc - Might be worth a try!

Thats so sweet, if we ever had a third I would try that, although if my two would have chewed it into little 1 inch squares by the morning  :005:

Offline HappyHarry

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 09:11:09 AM »
Hiya!

Do you have him in the same room as you? we have a crate in the bedroom so he can see and hear us.
On the first few nights we put a hot water bottle in there and a big toy to snuggle with.
Say goodnight and put in crate, and then ignore! We didnt give any attention to a howling pup, and boy did he howl! for about 5 mins  :D. Now we never hear a peep unless he needs to poop!
Be strong, and ignore it, its for the greater good!! (and a peaceful night eventually)!  :angel:
Jenny and Harry (Starstruck Peter)

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 09:48:02 AM »

I know alot of people suggest putting puppy in bedrooms in a crate and gradually moving crate to downstairs.  Our breeder suggested to start as you mean to go on.   They have never slept in our bedroom, started with a crate in the kitchen and ignored the crying.  They go to bed at night with a trip outside about 10.30 to 11pm  into their beds a couple of biscuits and a goodnight see you in the morning. We don't get a peep till OH gets up in the morning. They are now 8yrs and 5yrs old and apart from times when they have been offcolour, we have not had disturbed nights.

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 10:24:07 AM »
Completely agree with Jessie_pup