Author Topic: Humping at 8 weeks old??  (Read 782 times)

Offline J

• Donator
  • Pass me another bottle of red dear
Humping at 8 weeks old??
« on: August 28, 2009, 08:52:32 AM »
Hi all, I done a quick search but found no answers to a bizarre thing.

Should an 8 week old pup be `attracted` to legs yet? He is trying to hump everything is sight, generally after food, but whenever he is having his little mad 10 minutes, he looks for the nearest standing human  and helps himself. I quick shhhhhhh and gently removed does the trick for around 10 seconds then he`s off again :005:
Funny at first but 1, is it normal and 2, might it be a sign of things to come?
I don't remember Bayliss doing this ever.

In Advance, many thanks
Caution,  may contain nuts!!!

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
Re: Humping at 8 weeks old??
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 09:00:19 AM »
sorry no help here bit there will be others that can i am sure
my boy is 4 years old and has never done this
and if any other dogs come up to him and put there feet on his back he dose his nut

Offline ElaineH

• Donator
  • Handsome Morgan 19/06/2008 - 03/03/2024
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »
It's just puppy play and excitement, nothing to worry about at all. Just distract him gently and he'll find other games to occupy him.
"Histories are more full of examples of the fidelity of dogs than of friends"  Alexander Pope

Offline DTrubs

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 10:08:28 AM »
One of mine did it at 8 weeks old too and I was a tad shocked! Then the other one started copying him  >:D

I distracted them with toys. They're 5 months old now and probably haven't done it for about a month. 

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 10:22:30 AM »
It's just puppy play and excitement, nothing to worry about at all. Just distract him gently and he'll find other games to occupy him.

exactly - it's definitely not sexual at this age. Don't 'ah ah' or draw attention to it - just distract him with a toy or stand up and walk away ignoring the behaviour.

Trick is to ignore the behaviours you don't want and reward the behaviours you do want.
helen & jarvis x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 11:18:49 AM »
Louis humps his towel and some of his larger toys. I just ignore it or distract.

My first Cocker was a humper of legs, towels and toys from when he was a tiny puppy and didn't stop until he was about 3 years old  ph34r

Offline Rats and Dogs

• Donator
  • My gorgeous Gari. 25/11/97 - 17/06/09
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 03:59:33 PM »
Duggie does it sometimes too, he was even doing it to a couple of the pups at puppy class last night and we were close to getting banned when I said he wasn't humping, he was playing - they were adamant he should be getting neutered at 6 months... ::)
Fiona, Dougie & Tia x
Gari - My Angel at The Bridge

Offline mcphee

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 04:05:54 PM »
Duggie does it sometimes too, he was even doing it to a couple of the pups at puppy class last night and we were close to getting banned when I said he wasn't humping, he was playing - they were adamant he should be getting neutered at 6 months... ::)
Duggie, I cannot believe you are misbehaving in any way, especially at Puppy class. Whatever next NBCC?