Author Topic: clicker training  (Read 4485 times)

Offline lauren G

Re: clicker training
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2009, 09:45:43 AM »
just lettin you all know we have had a mild truimph :005: lady is now doing sit for the clicker but not quite sure when im suppose to reinforce the word sit  ::)

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2009, 10:16:22 AM »

Once she is offering it, start saying the word as she is about to sit...
Click and treat - repeat several times....

Then gradually put the cue word earlier, so you are asking for a sit... then click treat...
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline lauren G

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2009, 10:18:11 AM »
ok thanks karma ill try again in a little while  :D

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2009, 10:58:22 AM »
just lettin you all know we have had a mild truimph :005: lady is now doing sit for the clicker but not quite sure when im suppose to reinforce the word sit  ::)

Have a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jogMHlmv5eY

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline lauren G

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2009, 12:32:31 PM »
thanks for that ill give it a go and see how it goes :D

Offline mofi

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2009, 02:11:09 PM »
We have mastered the sit  :D  I only now click and reward if I ask Lottie to do it.

We are now working on a couple of other behaviours...down, paw and speak.  She was barking really good this morning as we were practising so I started to add the cue word but will go back a step at my next session.  I thought it would be a good idea so that I can ask her to be quiet too.   :005:
Lottie 05.07.09
Riley 23.10.10

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2009, 02:44:30 PM »

Hi Top Barks just had a look at the you tube video's.   Absolutely superb.    I have trained Jessie and dylan to hand touch using the clicker, I use the command pat, but if they are touching my legs with their paws I say touch.   Have taught Dylan to go round me in both directions , but having difficulty with the reversing.   Jessie is also like Bailey a reluctant retriever, but she seems better at searching out toys in the garden, her nose seems much keener than Dylan's, she is always the first to find the treat on the floor.  They always seem keener to begin a training session if I have the clicker in my hand , in fact Dylan often does not want to stop and I get leg humping, which I am trying to stop. I think he just gets over excited.  We also play the game of going over jumps to retrieve and sometimes I add on a small tunnel

Offline HeatherFeather

• Mavie
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2009, 04:27:56 PM »
hi heatherfeather im glad to know your enjoying the thread,have you started doing clicker training i tried doing sit yesterday and lady picked it up once she had calmed down

Yep!  We bought a clicker yesterday, best $1.50 we ever spent.  Mavie can now sit to a verbal command and hand signal, can come to a verbal command, and can shake a paw to a verbal command.  We've started on 'down' for off the couch, and she's nearly there!!!

She loves it!!!

~*~*~*In Puppy Love!!!!*~*~*~

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2009, 04:32:52 PM »

Hope I am right in saying this please correct me if I am wrong.  Try and use off rather than down for getting them off the furniture, as down means lying down if you see what I mean. ;)

Offline mofi

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2009, 04:43:21 PM »
hi heatherfeather im glad to know your enjoying the thread,have you started doing clicker training i tried doing sit yesterday and lady picked it up once she had calmed down

Yep!  We bought a clicker yesterday, best $1.50 we ever spent.  Mavie can now sit to a verbal command and hand signal, can come to a verbal command, and can shake a paw to a verbal command.  We've started on 'down' for off the couch, and she's nearly there!!!

She loves it!!!

It's great to hear how Mavie is getting on.  It's brilliant when they understand what the clicker is about and amazing how quickly they start to offer new behaviours  :D
Lottie 05.07.09
Riley 23.10.10

Offline lauren G

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2009, 05:40:09 PM »
hi im really glad shes enjoying it and your doing so well ;)

Offline mofi

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2009, 08:44:55 PM »
How are you getting on Lauren?
Lottie 05.07.09
Riley 23.10.10

Offline lauren G

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2009, 09:58:04 PM »
hi mofi well we have mastered sit perfectly now  :005: so guna see if i can do down tomorrow what bout you mofi how r u getting on

Offline mofi

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »
Well done Lady  :D
I'm on the "down" too.  I think we are just about there but have to go back a step each time I start training.  I'm also clicking when she does her business and say "busy" and also working on recall.  I'm also clicking for any other behaviours she offers us, like giving her paw.  TBH it depends on what she wants to do at each session and I go from there. ;)

I'm starting to carry a clicker with me everywhere and also have spare ones lying in the lounge and kitchen just in case.   :005:
Lottie 05.07.09
Riley 23.10.10

Offline lauren G

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »
 :005: its great to see your doing so well,and shes enjoying it aswell :D